• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I come from the country where, with a few clear exceptions which are laid out in law (the mile on road signs, the pint when buying draught beer) or entrenched in popular custom (measurements of the human body), the only people still clinging to the Imperial system are elderly fuddy-duddies and reactionary Euro-sceptics.
:p

So that's 95% of the measurements people actually use in their daily lives in Imperial measurements - petrol is the only change that's actually had any impact on the popular conscience. Yes, everyone knows that the imperial measurements have been 'metricised', but if you're going out to the supermarket for milk, you will talk about four-pint and six-pint bottles, not the corresponding metric measurement. Otherwise, the other measurements (i.e., the type used in the lab) were in metric for decades before the legal change.

EDIT: But most importantly of all - we're talking about beer in Britain, which is measured now and was measured then in pints. Even the average lout's Staropramen ordered at Wetherspoon's comes in a pint glass, so why must we consume our British beer events from the 19th century in metric?

EDIT: But most importantly of all - we're talking about beer in Britain, which is measured now and was measured then in pints. Even the average lout's Staropramen ordered at Wetherspoon's comes in a pint glass, so why must we consume our British beer events from the 19th century in metric?
The average lout's six-pack of Stella bought from Tesco will come in 440 millilitre cans, though.

Besides, like I said before, the British of the 19th century didn't measure beer by the gallon. They measured it by the barrel. And the majority of Paradox customers, I suspect, come from countries where they measure it by the litre. So using 'gallon' in the event text is wrong on both counts.

The average lout's six-pack of Stella bought from Tesco will come in 440 millilitre cans, though.

Besides, like I said before, the British of the 19th century didn't measure beer by the gallon. They measured it by the barrel. And the majority of Paradox customers, I suspect, come from countries where they measure it by the litre. So using 'gallon' in the event text is wrong on both counts.

And 440 millilitres of wife-beater is what? I always understood that this was supposed to correspond to an imperial measurement, though I'm not sure which one. It certainly isn't a standard metric measure.

Anway, the context of this game is the Napoleonic wars, which are primarily responsible for all the differences between mainland Europe and the UK. Given this, imperial seems most apposite to me - it is after all, the reason why we drive on the correct side of the road, measure our time according to GMT (as god intended), became the naval giants of the world, and retain the measurement for beer that, as George Orwell pointed out in 1984, is the most correct for a quiet sup (half a litre being too small and a litre being too big).

And 440 millilitres of wife-beater is what? I always understood that this was supposed to correspond to an imperial measurement, though I'm not sure which one. It certainly isn't a standard metric measure.
It's not an imperial measure either, as far as I can see. The best guess people have is that 330 ml is one third of a litre - and that's the size that soft drinks are usually served in (your can of Coke is 330 ml). 440 ml is 33% larger than 330 ml, presumably because people like drinking beer in larger quantities than Coke...

Anway, the context of this game is the Napoleonic wars, which are primarily responsible for all the differences between mainland Europe and the UK. Given this, imperial seems most apposite to me - it is after all, the reason why we drive on the correct side of the road, measure our time according to GMT (as god intended), became the naval giants of the world, and retain the measurement for beer that, as George Orwell pointed out in 1984, is the most correct for a quiet sup (half a litre being too small and a litre being too big).
You're assuming that most people will play MotE from the British side, which seems doubtful to me. I think far more people will play as Napoleon - just like in HoI everyone plays Germany. Being the aggressor is much more fun in most computer wargames.

Still, I'm sure someone will create a Regency England Total Immersion Mod specially for you, where the measurements will all be in hogsheads and leagues and furlongs, the currency unit will be be the guinea, and all the Nouns in the Descriptions will be marked out with Capital-letters.
;)

Still, I'm sure someone will create a Regency England Total Immersion Mod specially for you, where the measurements will all be in hogsheads and leagues and furlongs, the currency unit will be be the guinea, and all the Nouns in the Descriptions will be marked out with Capital-letters.
;)
Get started on said modification now, Stephen.

Btw, all scripts are in Lua as with the latest Paradox titles, right?

No, no need to use LUA in this case... but if you know LUA or any other similar, functional scripting languages you will not have any probs scripting events I promise you O;D

It's not an imperial measure either, as far as I can see. The best guess people have is that 330 ml is one third of a litre - and that's the size that soft drinks are usually served in (your can of Coke is 330 ml). 440 ml is 33% larger than 330 ml, presumably because people like drinking beer in larger quantities than Coke...

But my Cokes are 12oz cans.... :(

I know its off topic but seeing this image makes me play Hearts Of Iron series on this game engine.With this kind of a graphical detail that would be pretty awesome.By the way please dont tell me go and play HOI3 guys you know we cant :D :D :D

View attachment MotE_7.png

About historical events I can only say one thing.

PLEASEE DEVELOPERS PUT AS MANY EVENTS AS YOU CAN IN GAME !!!

But with multiple desicions so players can choose to go historical or ahistorical....