Make states seccession during revolutions more coherent with relative IG clout

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jervaj

Colonel
24 Badges
Sep 26, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
Greetings!

I noticed in some playthroughs that whenever I was threatened with a revolution I was at times surprised by the states that would secede. But I recently had a, possible more edge case, experience that made no sense at all and makes me think that the system should be tweaked.

Let me give out context. I was playing as a released Venice. Looking to play it as a city state with huge focus on their core state. Early game I held some territory outside Venice itself due to the context of the Italian unification which I didnt release almost inmediatly, but I never got to integrate these states given my approach.

During this time I was reforming heavily and one reform seemed specially contentious, abolishing the moanrchy in favour of a Republic to restore the Serenissima. But when a Nihilist raised to the leadership of the PB, it seemed like my chance.
I passed the law as a revolution made up of the Devout, Landowners and RF was brewing. It was going to explode and I was thinking to actually let it fire so the new republican army would crush it and allow me to stamp out monarchism quicker. What was my surprise when when I broke out the state that secceded was Venice itselfwhere all my urban industry was, instead of any of the full rural states.

I reloaded to check the data to see how could that be that the moanrchist were able to control the capital. But the data seemed to back my initial feels on the matter. Landowner and RF infleunce was basically non existant on the capital below 0,5% each, with only Devout having around 9%. The capital was dominated by the current PB, Intelligentsia, TU and Indsutrialists divided in two parties. 3 of the IG been the advocates of the changes, with Industrialists been neutral, and all of them having between 20-30% clout on the capital.

Would you agree that this makes no sense? This revolution clearly should have happened in the rural areas where these IG could have rallied their support.
I think the problem is that the game right now may look at absolute numbers of political strength the revolting IGs have in each state and just pick whatever is highest, and in this case between the capital bonus and the malus everything else had due to been unincoporated they chose that. I think for revolutions to be sensible relative strength has to be taken into account to avoid such absurd situations where they take control of states where they are irrelevant. Or maybe if theres an edge case they can take only some provinces that make sense (maybe the rural ones in this case) and not the whole state.

I was able to dodge the situation by feinting with passing monarchy repeatdly without ever allowing it to tick, to allow the revolution to cool of for a bit. Which hilariously at some point caused the pro parliamentary and much stronger IGs to threaten revolution themselves. I ended avoiding any revolution by repating this process for quite a while, though I realize now that it probably would have been better to allow the counter revolution to fire and switch to it to achieve my original goal (as they would have taken the capital too). It was too unintuitive to realize it at the moment though. And thats the problem.

Thanks you for your time.

• 3Like
Reactions: