Majesty 2 Developer Diary Launches on IGN

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A couple of things sound like what Alfryd(?) has been suggesting :)

Each class has its own attitude towards life. For example, the Thieves want money, but that motivation is compensated by high level of cowardice. They are the first to look for a reward, but will also be the first to desert in the battlefield. The motivation system also helps the player decide which monsters to attack using levels of attractiveness.
Another change we made was regarding the characters' motivation to retreat. In Majesty, heroes started to run when they didn't have enough health. Now, in Majesty 2, a hero constantly estimates danger around him or her, compares it to his or her characteristics, health and courage, and then decides whether or not it is necessary to run away.

Indeed, and they are welcome changes to the AI-system.

I told you (Alfryd) the devs would learn from the AI mistakes in MKFS1, but just not made it the military system that acts like a RTS-player :D.

Hassat Hunter said:
Indeed, and they are welcome changes to the AI-system.

I told you (Alfryd) the devs would learn from the AI mistakes in MKFS1, but just not made it the military system that acts like a RTS-player :D.
I agree, it seems reasonable and pretty much what could be expected.

good stuff, I wonder what hero the ladies in the blue pants are...healer perhaps?

In regard to the fear flags, it will be interesting to see how the fear flags will work when technically any hero not in the area should be paid. Also if the heroes are supposed to evaluate there situation and determine if they should be fighting or not wouldn't the lower level heroes avoid the dangerous areas anyway?

Anyway its good to see some new info out there :D

Another change we made was regarding the characters' motivation to retreat. In Majesty, heroes started to run when they didn't have enough health. Now, in Majesty 2, a hero constantly estimates danger around him or her, compares it to his or her characteristics, health and courage, and then decides whether or not it is necessary to run away. This is especially pronounced during a battle. Let's say a few heroes and monsters are fighting in a battle. The heroes see allies around them and this gives them confidence; they feel good and are eager to fight. But then monsters get reinforcements (for example, a huge terrible giant), causing a shift in the superiority of forces. For a short period of time, the heroes continue to fight, hoping the situation will change. But, when a couple of friendly heroes turn into neat graves and the cowardly Thieves leave the battle, the rest of the heroes would reevaluate the situation and run for their lives to a city under the protection of the guilds' towers and walls. The monsters would chase them, and a player would have to hold the city in a storm organized by his or her own heroes.
Flawless victory!

I must say I like the little details at ground-level. The ferns, mushrooms, blades of grass, etc. The birdhouses are a nice touch. That guardhouse looks quite spiffy, actually.
(Those trees don't look quite as 'solid', though- maybe it's the lack of internal shadows..?)
housefish said:
In regard to the fear flags, it will be interesting to see how the fear flags will work when technically any hero not in the area should be paid. Also if the heroes are supposed to evaluate there situation and determine if they should be fighting or not wouldn't the lower level heroes avoid the dangerous areas anyway?.
I agree- ideally, there should be some internal 'danger map' of the area for the purpose. Still, it might not hurt to have some extra tools to complement hero AI.
I just hope it isn't a case of 'put money into fear flags to scare heroes away' with no direct explanation of why the heroes care about your flag.
I wonder what hero the ladies in the blue pants are...healer perhaps?
Good question- I think they're using weapons, though.

Last edited:
I hope individual heroes have different levels of bravery. I would like it less if every warrior reacted the same way to a given situation. Theives should tend to be cowards, not be cowards without exception.

I'm not sure if they're bird houses or graves. :eek:o
I'd guess those female heroes are rogues, thieves or something.

Alfryd said:
I agree- ideally, there should be some internal 'danger map' of the area for the purpose. Still, it might not hurt to have some extra tools to complement hero AI.
I just hope it isn't a case of 'put money into fear flags to scare heroes away' with no direct explanation of why the heroes care about your flag.
I'd imagine that the fear flags represent the Sovereign spending money to spread the word that the area is dangerous, with the degree to which the flag is heeded determined by the amount of money spent (representing just how much effort the Sovereign put into publicising the danger). The flag then remains until the Sovereign decides to pull down the posters (in-game, cancels the flag).

I'd hope that its effect isn't purely level-based, however. I'd hate to see a level 5 paladin getting scared off while a level 7 rogue wanders in figuring (s)he can handle it...

'Twould also be interesting to see how they work in multiplayer games. Do other players see your fear flags? Can you use them tactically in an effort to bluff enemy heroes into staying away from a particular area?

EDIT: Would it be safe to assume that the warriors, rogues and (I presume) ranger there are all fairly low-level heroes with relatively poor equipment, and as they advance they'll become more heroic in appearance?

(The Rogues look like spoiled rich kids out for a lark. The Ranger looks like a peasant who's just picked up a bow to supplement the farming income with a little hunting. The Warriors look like they've just picked up a cheap sword, shield, helmet and leather jerkin and gone out to prove themselves. I love it... as long as they aren't still looking like that when they're challenging dragons to single fights and there's no-one willing to put money on the dragon... and, instead, looking a bit more like this ;) )

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the fear flags will work by outlining an area and when the hero wanders to the edge of it then they will get paid if they turn away. I hope I am wrong and there is some method that I am not seeing because of the amount of control this potentially could give the player over their heroes (ie just outline a nice path for your heroes to follow to the enemy).

You are right about the levels drax, all heroes are not created equal.

I thought that the "warriors" were guards myself... :eek:

I don't think the fear flags need to be paying the heroes at all - you just put it up and heroes avoid it out of their own sense of self-preservation rather than a direct reward. This does mean that, unlike a normal flag, the money doesn't go back into your economy through your heroes, but it may be preferable to constantly having to rescue or resurrect your low-level heroes from blundering into a Daemonwood, Evil Oculus or some other powerful, relatively sessile monster.