• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

csenn

Sergeant
6 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
Hi

I have a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphic card. Does anyone who have bought the game with this card had any problems, as it is under minimum requirements?

The card and machine works great with Crusader Kings 2.

If CK2 runs, you should be fine - BUT I strongly suggest that you turn off all settings and consider using the flatmap mod (There's a modpack that automatically does all of this for you somewhere in the modding forum)

And failing that, try a Bootcamp version - It's a wee bit faster on Windows.

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphic card. Does anyone who have bought the game with this card had any problems, as it is under minimum requirements?

The card and machine works great with Crusader Kings 2.

There are many many people here reporting that the game is unplayable with that setup, even though CK2 runs fine.

The crucial thing seems to be the amount of video memory. 512MB Macbook Pro's (like mine) seem to be ok-ish, 1 GB seems to be fine.

Why EU4 needs to much video memory is very unclear to me, the textures and such don't seem to be that demanding. There are rumours that they do part of the calculations on the GPU and that's what is dragging things down. This would also explain why the kind of CPU you have makes little difference.

Ok, havent seen the other threads saying that. But I remember that CK2 was unplayable the first 6 months until Paradox patched it up. Maybe it will improve after some patches? Thanks for both your answers anyway, but maybe I'm just gonna wait until someone with the same card confirms its now working..

I have a MacBook Pro for office stuff, it runs CK2 adequately, but I'm not sure what's in it, where do I look this up? If I knew I could try putting EUIV on there and letting you know. I do use Bootcamp however.

Obviously massive framerates aren't really necessary for these types of games, when running CKII at full speed I think I got about 20fps but when paused it runs smoothly. If you stay out of Terrain Map Mode you should be fine.

That would be great if you could do. Thank you. You click the apple icon in top left corner, and then the first option in the menu, "About this Machine" or something similar. And after that "More Info", and it should say there..

Cannot enter those threads as I haven't bought the game yet, and are not permitted to those under-forums. Waiting to see if it will run on my machine. The other threads I have seen don't answer that either.

Cannot enter those threads as I haven't bought the game yet, and are not permitted to those under-forums. Waiting to see if it will run on my machine. The other threads I have seen don't answer that either.
This is the message:
[Mac] Low performance
--------------------------------------
My game is very choppy/laggy due to graphics. My graphics card, granted, is 3 years old. I was under the impression that if I was able to run CK2, I could run EU4. I can run CK2 fine. I believe the problems is ocean shimmering/reflection. I have turned off trees, shadows, and reflections but the ocean is still shimmering and causing the lag (I believe). Is there any way to turn off the shimmering/reflection/clouds over the ocean? Are there other ways to make the game run smoother on my graphics?

I have a Spring 2010 Macbook, yes this isn't a very advanced rig for gaming:
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

I can play many games on this system without lag, the most graphics intensive being Counterstrike: Global Offensive, Civ 5, CK2, Portal 1 and 2, and TF2.
Please help me with my graphics issue!

Sounds very similar to your setup?

I'm away from home and I'm playing on a "Late 2009" 13 inch MacBook, after upgrade with the following specs:
2.26 GHz Intel Cored 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I keep most of the graphics options off - only the rivers are on I think. It rolls normally although the laptop tends to heat up, its cooling fan hasn't been cleaned.

I'm away from home and I'm playing on a "Late 2009" 13 inch MacBook, after upgrade with the following specs:
2.26 GHz Intel Cored 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I keep most of the graphics options off - only the rivers are on I think. It rolls normally although the laptop tends to heat up, its cooling fan hasn't been cleaned.

I have one of those fans you can put under the laptop, getting it very hot isn't very good for it.

Interesting that you have no problem with that much older spec though. Which version of OSX?

I have now bought the game. Have to little patience to wait. He he. The game runs, but very slowly. Have turned off everything I can, as well as installing a Flat Map mod, but still its to laggy and slow. Anyone have any other tips to improve performance?

No mac demo unfortunatly.

Bootcamp would allow you to try it out though - Just imagine it running a bit worse in OSX and you've got an estimate.