Loyal Cohorts in Cicero - Small Tease

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, cohorts should become loyal "only" through when they actually do something with their generals, meaning fighting and winning wars, and when their generals pays them more directly, bypassing the state.
Perhaps Rome should start with a law that forces it to use the pre-Marian system, in which cohort loyalty mechanics are disabled but you gain manpower at a very slow rate. Passing the Marian reforms could grant you more manpower, but at the cost of enabling cohort loyalty mechanics. Upkeep and morale could also vary depending on what laws you use.

Perhaps Rome should start with a law that forces it to use the pre-Marian system, in which cohort loyalty mechanics are disabled but you gain manpower at a very slow rate. Passing the Marian reforms could grant you more manpower, but at the cost of enabling cohort loyalty mechanics. Upkeep and morale could also vary depending on what laws you use.
I dont think it should be disabled, but as you enact laws leading to the reforms you could get boni like +manpower and malus +loyalty chance.

Will there be a Cap (maybe based on Empire population) to the number of Veteran Cohorts a general is allowed to have, @Johan ? I hope there won't be cases where a General rebels and spawns 100k man on the top of the head of a city state (soldiers that will also explode from attrition).

Will there be a Cap (maybe based on Empire population) to the number of Veteran Cohorts a general is allowed to have, @Johan ? I hope there won't be cases where a General rebels and spawns 100k man on the top of the head of a city state (soldiers that will also explode from attrition).

I dont think a general will ever have the chance of gaining the loyalty of so many troops during his lifetime even if you assigned all your armies to him on purpose so no need to cap.

Are you reworking tribal retinue as well? It would be good if they could be inherited by the clan heir.

This please. Having to disband constantly armies from former clan leaders that have just passed away so you dont have to pay the maintenance is a pain. And forces you to constantly keep track of what leader has died and what armie was his that hes left behind for you to upkeep. Ugh biggest thing keeping me from playing tribes rn.

What unit type the veteran troops will be? There is a place where we can check if the powerbase of the disloyal general is composed by archers or cavarly? Also, there is a way to check if a choorts it's sliding in favour of another general instead than than a previous? This could be interesting also for Imperial Age and military anarchy in future, and as well barbarian kings invading southern europe.

I dont think a general will ever have the chance of gaining the loyalty of so many troops during his lifetime even if you assigned all your armies to him on purpose so no need to cap.
Never say never ;)

I like it too, but woulnd't do 1 veteran cohort becomes 1 real.
The idea makes a lot of sense, but this should all depend on timeframe imo. Cohort might stay very loyal for a year, then some will die, move away, or stop caring.