• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

reviest

Private
19 Badges
Oct 25, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
After updating the game to 1.7 the fps in menu and on pause in the game dropped down to about 15 fps. When on pause and barony view (where you can select what to build etc.) is selected, fps rise up to 40 fps (very strange). No mods used. This made the game unbearable for me and I've tried every single thing I can think of to remedy that before posting here.

Ryzen 3700x (not overclocked)
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
32GB RAM
RTX 3070 (latest drivers always installed)
Windows 10 (latest updates always installed)

I've reinstalled the game three times with removing Paradox folders manually from Documents, I've reinstalled Paradox Launcher, re-verified game files using Steam, I've added game files to exclusions for Windows Security, I tried disabling Windows Security at all.

Again, it happened suddenly and there was no event I can think of in my computer that could've set this off. I'm attaching today's DxDiag in case you need it. Thank you.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    114,6 KB · Views: 0
Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, refresh rate 60.

Is that any better?

If not, does reverting to 1.6.x in the Steam Betas tab for this game get back to acceptable performance? Or still an issue now?

Just to be clear, 1.6.1.2 is now slow whereas it was not before?

If that is the case, clearly the issue is local and outside the game as such! However I see nothing in particular in those files to point to what it might be.

If you make another user on this machine and log into it as that, does the problem still happen with both game versions?

Please install and run the free utility Speccy, send its output to a text file and attach that here, thanks.

Yes, that is the case, it's slow now even in 1.6.1.2.
Using test account helped and I was able to see the game working as intended. No changes on main account.
I understand the problem might be outside of the game, I am just searching for possible directions to look in as CK3 is the only game affected on my PC and it started happening without an apparent reason (no software changes).
Please find Speccy report attached with this post. Thank you!

Attachments

• speccy.txt
    265,6 KB · Views: 0
Using test account helped and I was able to see the game working as intended. No changes on main account.
Then either something is running under the main account that isn't in the test account, which is getting in the way, OR there is a problem with the user profile of that main account (which would be a Windows problem I can't really help further with).

There's no file attached to your post.

Then either something is running under the main account that isn't in the test account, which is getting in the way, OR there is a problem with the user profile of that main account (which would be a Windows problem I can't really help further with).

There's no file attached to your post.
Thank you for taking time to help me. I've found out that the problem is with with explorer.exe process which is loading cpu until I open task manager. The moment I open task manager the explorer.exe process reduces cpu usage from 30% to 0% and CK3 immediately starts working as expected.

Thank you for taking time to help me. I've found out that the problem is with with explorer.exe process which is loading cpu until I open task manager. The moment I open task manager the explorer.exe process reduces cpu usage from 30% to 0% and CK3 immediately starts working as expected.
Goodness me! No real idea why that would be, aside from my speculations from before
either something is running under the main account that isn't in the test account, which is getting in the way, OR there is a problem with the user profile of that main account
You may need Windows support help to drill down on that further.

I'd love to know what caused that , if you choose to pursue it!