Looking for how the primary buildings get assigned to precincts

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CaesarJefe

Recruit
1 Badges
Apr 19, 2021
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
I made my first mod, the Gangster take reduction mod, and loved the wiki articles on how-to, etc. That mod is very basic, of course, only changing some values in the Lua files to make the take for each gangster lower through hardcoded changes to the values.

I've been going through the Lua source files to try to work on another mod: Force all Depots and Safehouses to be "small" buildings. I "hate" giving up a nice, fat medium or large building just for a depot! :)

Trouble is, I can't find out where the building stuff is. Suspect it is "hidden" in the game ode and inaccessible?

Also a mod in progress as local mod: Faster Black Market refresh + more items. Loving playing with this. Finally get to see more of the Trinket items in play. I have it set to 14 days, but that feels a little too frequent, so I might go to 30. Waiting to see how I feel about it.

Future plans: Making interfaces for changing the color of factions, setting things like the Black Market refresh rate and item count. I don't know how to do that yet, or if it can be "saved", but we'll see!

CJ

• 1Like
Reactions:
+1000! I just posted a suggestion to have that changed today LOL it's an eye sore seen those medium and large buildings go to waste like that. Plus, regardless to the size of the building you still go into a large building size amount of battle. You can see it in the screen where it allows you to auto resolve that even if the depot is in a small or medium building it will say large. Make them small ... I agree

Also, while you're on your quest to create this mod, see if you can find out how to unlock buildings that are currently unavailable. There are many medium and large buildings unavailable that I am sure we all would love to be able to use that we could put to very good use :) good luck and hope you get answers and we see your product soon!

Question: I play on a Mac and can't find any .lua files anymore. where are they located? How do I access these files now?

Last edited:
The Lua files are in a GameSource zip file included with the game (I got it from Steam), See the wiki modding articles for details, but I'm not sure where on a Mac they'd be. You can't get to the "real" files, just the game source lua files they provide, which are then co-opted by the mod engine to add into the game at launch.

I am guessing that is what I am looking for ... had access to the Lua files before and that is where I got most the ID names for weapons, items and characters but now non of that is available. I tried opening many of the files that are there but one I can't and two the zip files do not unzip for me. Looks like I have to download that creator app to do so, I read something like that in the wiki. Thanks for the response and hope to see your mod available soon, I will sure give it a try. Good luck :)

I am guessing that is what I am looking for ... had access to the Lua files before and that is where I got most the ID names for weapons, items and characters but now non of that is available. I tried opening many of the files that are there but one I can't and two the zip files do not unzip for me. Looks like I have to download that creator app to do so, I read something like that in the wiki. Thanks for the response and hope to see your mod available soon, I will sure give it a try. Good luck :)
The Lua files are just plain text files, you should be able to read them in things like NotePad++ (I recommend). In order to MAKE a mod, you do need Unity installed like the mod wiki says, but that's only if you want to actually craft a mod, you can peruse the Lua files in any text reader.

That is what I use to reads them, TextEdit. However the files themselves no longer appear and I believe they become available with unity as I do see a few .exe type "files" that are unity designated. Might have to see if it works once unity is downloaded.

ok, so I am not sure what I could be doing wrong but after downloading unity and importing the EoS build support file I still can't view the files, open them that is ... anything in the bundle with the exception of a few are coded with symbols and squares etc. the files I ret to open, the ones that look like a lego block with a blueish W on them, don't open as it says nothing in my computer supports it and if I do open them they're all coded. All I want is the proper ID's to weapons, items and characters to be able to activate/gain them using .dev mode is all. Whenever I get a hang of modding, I'll use the files as well. Any idea and can you possibly help me. Hopefully dev's see this and lend a hand as well. I would appreciate it very much, thank you.

the .bundle files are binaries and cannot be opened. Only the .lua files can be viewed. I'm on PC, but in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\EmpireOfSin filder there is a GameSource_release-1.06.0.51066.zip file, THAT has the lua files you can view. Unzip it somewhere convenient, not to the game folder, and peruse the files at your leisure.

Thank you for the responses and the help :) I think I found what I wanted and it looks like I had opened it before any of the new downloads and all but it's ok, when I get a hang pf this modding stuff I might create one, have some good ideas LOL Thanks again!