• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Owlthunder

Private
7 Badges
Apr 8, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
I'm using a large screen as my monitor but the launcher window size makes it impossible to navigate the various pages/menus. I've attached a screenshot of the desktop. Is there some way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    5,7 MB · Views: 68
Somethings wrong in your graphics area I think.

Right click on aow3.exe, properties, compatibility. Is anything set in there? If so, un-tick it, apply and exit.

Thanks for the reply. There was nothing ticked under compatibility. I've tried every combination of settings I can find under the high dpi area, such as let program control it, let windows control it, using various dpi settings, nothing seems to change the launcher box, but some do affect the program itself while playing. It's been kinda frustrating, but I've gotten used to it. The only times it's been a major hassle has been when using the guest account would have bypassed other problems (such as the launcher not working for online play). I'll keep looking and hope maybe someone else has had this issue and will eventually see this post. I've had similar problems with other games and most of those involved editing the .ini files. I appreciate you trying to help!

I wanted to clarify a few things in case it might help. I'm not actually using a monitor, I'm using a television as a monitor. I'm also using a different cable. Previously, with my smaller monitor, I was using a standard computer video monitor cable. I switched to an hdmi cable when I switched to using the television. Sadly, my knowledge base of the differences in the cables and the differences between an actual monitor and a television pretending to be a monitor don't allow me to deduce if that is somehow causing the problem. Again, thank you for your help. If anything I just mentioned gives you any ideas, I'm open to further suggestions.

Do you have the opportunity to try it on a standard computer monitor?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

If I switch back to my old monitor (17", with the standard computer video cable) I don't have the problem because I can't set the resolution to 3840X2160. The problem only happens on the larger display settings. It could be the resolution settings don't work well with the launcher window, but I used the resolution recommended by Windows when I attached it. My computer is older (I built it 15 years ago and most of the components can't be upgraded without upgrading everything because of the motherboard limitations That's a project I hope to accomplish soon.) I have attached the file you requested.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    87,7 KB · Views: 30
User DPI Setting: 240 DPI (250 percent)
System DPI Setting: 288 DPI (300 percent)
This may be the issue, you are sure Disable Fullscreen Optimisations and Override High DPI Scaling Behaviour did not help at all?

If I turn off the customized scaling in windows, the launcher window is fine, but everything is too small to read comfortably. There is an additional layer of settings from the radeon video card that I'm not completely versed in using. I tried to test the settings you mentioned, but it seems the most recent windows update removed them, as I can't find them anywhere when I right-click on the program file (with the customized scaling on or off). I really do appreciate everything you've done to try to help. Now that I know removing the customized scaling allows me to access the launcher window properly (even if it is a bit difficult to read) I'm content with how things are. I just don't know enough to deal with this easily (especially in light of windows changing things and the radeon control settings), so I'll just make do with what I have and understand. I thank you for taking the time to help me. I know you are all busy finishing Planetfall (which I am looking forward to immensely) and wish you all the best with that and don't want to distract or split your time and attention away from that. I hope you have an amazing day!

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    5,4 MB · Views: 21
I tried to test the settings you mentioned, but it seems the most recent windows update removed them, as I can't find them anywhere when I right-click on the program file (with the customized scaling on or off)
They are certainly there ... but if you are okay with it as is, good!

I know you are all busy finishing Planetfall (which I am looking forward to immensely) and wish you all the best with that and don't want to distract or split your time and attention away from that. I hope you have an amazing day!
Well thanks but I have nothing to do with developing PlanetFall :D

Ah, I thought you were part of the development team or support or something because of your incredible knowledge base.

When I right click on AoW3 now, all of the options that were there before are no longer there. I've checked under every 'advanced' button. I'm not sure if it's something I did, but because a new update came through that included some hdr settings that they had been done away with. It may have just been coincidental timing. It's not just AoW3, those options are gone from all of the programs. I also checked under all of the display and graphics areas in Windows itself and can't find anything except for the custom scaling and the new options. There was also an update to the radeon driver and the program that runs the video card and graphics, so I'm not sure why those options are no longer where they were or where to find them now.

I am ok with how things are now that I can access the launcher when needed. I'm getting used to having issues with this older computer. LOL I'm hoping to build myself a new one soon so I can play more of the newer games and with better graphics options. Thanks again for everything!

When you right click on AoW3.exe and choose Properties then click on the Compatibility tab, what do you see? Maybe a screenshot would help.

There isn't a compatibility tab any more. There isn't a compatibility option when I right click on AoW3.exe either. They just seem to be gone. I don't think it was anything I did that made them disappear, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    2,9 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    968,4 KB · Views: 20
You are right-clicking on the AoW3 folder, not on AoW3.exe which is in that folder.

To clarify things click on View up the top of File Explorer and tick the Hidden Files and File Extensions boxes there.

Wow, color me embarrassed. LOL I thought I had selected the .exe file before right clicking. *blush* Here are the screenshots of the compatibility tab and the high dpi settings selections currently set.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    1,2 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    1,3 MB · Views: 21
So you have Override High DPI Scaling Behaviour set, but not Disable Full Screen Optimisations. Does any combination of those two items make any difference to this problem?

No. Disabling Override alone, enabling Disable Full Screen alone, nor changing both together had any effect at all. There are two pages inside the Radeon graphics controller that deal with games and specifically AoW3. The screenshots of those pages are below, in the order mentioned. Most of it is more technical than I understand, so I have left them as they were generated by the program itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    1,2 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    1,2 MB · Views: 18
I can't help with Radeon settings, I'm sorry, I've never used a machine with AMD video. By all means play with any scaling or ratio settings in there.

This worked for me go to the Folder of the game in steam

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoW3

Open the AOW3 launcher Properties (make sure its the Launcher not the game .EXE)

Under Compatibility : Select "Change HIGH DPI Settings

Once there check both brackets...
-Use this settings to fix scaling problem.....etc
and
- Override high DPI scalling.....etc

ALso under Override High DPI Scaling select

SYSTEM

This worked for me go to the Folder of the game in steam

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoW3

Open the AOW3 launcher Properties (make sure its the Launcher not the game .EXE)

Under Compatibility : Select "Change HIGH DPI Settings

Once there check both brackets...
-Use this settings to fix scaling problem.....etc
and
- Override high DPI scalling.....etc

ALso under Override High DPI Scaling select

SYSTEM
I have had the miniature launcher problem since I bought AOW3 searched and searched for a fix. Hurrah and many thanks you are my hero for this fix.