Large save/Long saving(loading) time/Game freeze indefinitely when (auto)saving + FIX

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Misha02

Corporal
24 Badges
Dec 5, 2022
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
The issues described in the title, likely 100+ years into the game, are caused by save corruption, such that the save files explode in size (sometimes to 1GB+). The reason is currently unknown, but I am currently working to collect as many such save files as possible to analyze whether there is any pattern in settings/mods/DLCs. There are some hypotheses, but it is too early to say with any degree of certainty, and I will certainly post to this thread with any updates. Currently, the save files can be fixed manually by deleting the corrupted parts.

In the mean time, if you have experienced any of these issues, please upload your save file with a brief description below or in the DM, and I will hopefully fix it for you and send it back to you. (NOTE: ironman saves will be 'melted' irreversibly to normal saves to allow save editing).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The issues described in the title, likely 100+ years into the game, are caused by save corruption, such that the save files explode in size (sometimes to 1GB+). The reason is currently unknown, but I am currently working to collect as many such save files as possible to analyze whether there is any pattern in settings/mods/DLCs. There are some hypotheses, but it is too early to say with any degree of certainty, and I will certainly post to this thread with any updates. Currently, the save files can be fixed manually by deleting the corrupted parts.

In the mean time, if you have experienced any of these issues, please upload your save file with a brief description below or in the DM, and I will hopefully fix it for you and send it back to you. (NOTE: ironman saves will be 'melted' irreversibly to normal saves to allow save editing).
Ami, it happens to me a lot, especially with Vicrotia 3, but it's also starting to happen to me with Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader Kings 3.

The entire computer crashes and I have to forcibly turn it off (leaving the power button pressed)

I don't know if it's something from the games or it's my computer, it didn't happen to me before.

I've already filed several bug reports but no one pays attention to me.

Ami, it happens to me a lot, especially with Vicrotia 3, but it's also starting to happen to me with Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader Kings 3.

The entire computer crashes and I have to forcibly turn it off (leaving the power button pressed)

I don't know if it's something from the games or it's my computer, it didn't happen to me before.

I've already filed several bug reports but no one pays attention to me.
Thanks for that reply. I am sorry that no one responded to your bug report. If you don't mind, I am certainly happy to take a look at your CK3 savefile. Do you use any mod by any chance (as far as I am aware, pdx won't handle any modded games).

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've not had specifically game-crashing save files, but I have noticed that the amount of time to load the game has increased from ~3 minutes to ~5 minutes, with another 2 minutes of slowdown after game start for things to load in for the first in-game week.

Thanks for that reply. I am sorry that no one responded to your bug report. If you don't mind, I am certainly happy to take a look at your CK3 savefile. Do you use any mod by any chance (as far as I am aware, pdx won't handle any modded games).
I uninstalled all the mods weeks ago just in case, and it's still the same,

I don't know how to send a save file, but I think it's the least important, the company has to fix this and at least respond to error reports.

Crusader Kings 3 seems the most stable followed by Hearts of Iron 4 (I'm trying to play with Iran and it's blocked, I'm afraid to start again because I don't like to force the computer to turn off, I think it's bad)

Now I'm playing Crusader Kings 3 and it seems to be going well, but at any moment it can crash.

Reactions:
I had been playing with the CMH mod list + a few others. Over the course of a week of play (about 50 years in game) the save file size went from like 6mb to around 50. I couldn't auto save, I couldn't load saves in game, got a few random freezes here and there. For a while, I could play by manual saving (new slot only, overwrite would freeze) and force closing the app when I wanted to leave (trying to exit normally would freeze). Resuming a save would take like 15 mins to load.

Eventually I found this thread and Misha was able to help me out. Thanks again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I haven't encountered anything, and I'm moderately modded.

Speaking as a SW Engineer, my initial suspicions would be:

• Version of the game/Install Location (Steam/GOG, Etc)
  • In-game option adding things to the save that shouldn't be there
  • Mod messing with the save format (mod incompatibility)
Easiest thing to try would be to find a configuration that encounters the problem, then have someone else set up the same exact way and see if it can be reproduced.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I had this exact problem, game wasnt too heavily modded but i had spawned/edited characters etc. no clue what was causing it but when saving the game the more i progressed the more it started taking longer and longer to save until it no longer completed the save and would CTD.
I spotted Misha02s' post about taking a look at someone's save file and asked if they could take a look at mine.
After receiving the fixed file back from Misha02 the save now works perfectly, i can move forward days and save no problem. for anyone experiencing this I would absolutely recommend giving Misha02 a message.

Thanks again Misha. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:

Hey Misha - If you are still in the business of looking at broken files, I am happy to share mine - I can load the save just fine and can manually save but the next time it tries to autosave it will just ....stop. I can click on stuff but time won't progress forward and nothing is happening. Really the only way out is the exit the game where it will just crash . This has happened the last 2-3 times I played the game although this is sooner than previous times. In the other games, I just had to do a marathon run at the end for the last 80-100 years as any type of savings would cause a crash.

Attachments

• Empress_Kansoleh_of_Kaabu_1241_01_09.ck3
    78 MB · Views: 0