• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sigh, it's a rule as consistent as gravity, the Union Jack never fails to serve as the harbinger of the end.

God save Sokoto.
Lol yeah. Tbh at this point Sokoto is so hidden that the British don't really know the actual extent of their empire. They know about the orts, Ashanti land, some provinces along the road from Lagos to Sokoto city and thats it

Thanks a lot for commenting. Your comments keeps this story afloat

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lol yeah. Tbh at this point Sokoto is so hidden that the British don't really know the actual extent of their empire. They know about the orts, Ashanti land, some provinces along the road from Lagos to Sokoto city and thats it

Thanks a lot for commenting. Your comments keeps this story afloat
It just hit me now that the European nations know nothing about the interior of the Empire!️️

It just hit me now that the European nations know nothing about the interior of the Empire!️️
Yeah we know it because I am the narrator. At best the Europeans might have blobby or sqaurey borders from some Sokotan map or narrations

Thanks a lot for commenting man
Comments are as important for the success of the AAR as writing itself
Thanks a lot man
:)

If / When the empire falls, I do wonder if it's going to become a cohesive thing during the colonialism years or after decolonization happens.

Because those lands do have a shared history and something of a prosperous past.

Reactions:
If / When the empire falls, I do wonder if it's going to become a cohesive thing during the colonialism years or after decolonization happens.

Because those lands do have a shared history and something of a prosperous past.

This is a good point. When post-colonial African nationalism appears, how much Sokotan influence remains would be fascinating to see.

Huh! I completely missed the past couple updates. For some reason I stopped getting notifications from this thread. Still, it's riveting as always!

Better get the cold date wine and tharidat Ghassan stew! This is something that is not worth missing!

Everyone,
Thanks to your support this AAR has attained the No.1 position and is now HistorybookAAR of the year 2020. I am greatly honored. Please continue to support me. I am experiencing a slight slowdown in chapters for various reasons. I could not write a chapter in February because I was working on a review publication to further my career and it took away all my writing stamina.
The publication is now complete and I am back.

In 2021 I will try my best to bring back that 3 chapters a month speed that I had until October 2020.

Thankyou
Next chapter coming in a few days.
:)

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Chapter 38

Denton Sinclair arrived in Sokoto on the 14th of February 1854 and went to rest early hoping to serve as a mediator in a potential region wide conflict in a wild exotic foreign land the next morning. Instead when he woke up on the 15th, he suddenly found himself in a wild exotic foreign land which had changed rulers overnight.

Before midnight Sultan Ali passed away in his sleep. An hour before that he called upon Umaru Bin Ali and the iman of Sokoto. Mere minutes after the Sultan's passing, Umaru Bin Ali was proclaimed as Sultan Umaru Ali in the presence of a very few loyal officers. By this time, Usman Amadu had also heard of the new happenings. Without waiting for dawn, Umaru Bin Ali boldly called upon all the chiefs and generals of the Sultanate already in Sokoto and crowned himself again for a second time with a more lavish ceremony. After this his father's body was prepared for the funeral. While all this went on, Usman Amadu and his supporters could only watch. Their plans of sidelining the young prince had failed and now he was their new sovereign.

1615657439381.png

After a few more hours, Usman Amadu was approached by some of his radical followers and enemies of Umaru Bin Ali to ignite a civil war or try to assassinate the new Sultan. Similar demands were made about imprisoning Usman Amadu by Sultan Umaru Ali's loyal successors. He however reacted to all such tensions by proclaiming Usman Amadu as his Vizier. Meanwhile Denton Sinclair who watched these perplexing happenings with interest writes,

"By dying much earlier than expected, Sultan Ali robbed Usman Amadu of time and a chance to play political machinations for crowning his own Sultan. Morever even after the coronation, the Vizier found himself without options for when he looked to his soldiers they were too weary to support any new rebellion, when he looked to the Ulema it declared its support for Umaru Bin Ali, when he looked at the new Sultan's brother Muazu Ahmadu, he displayed no interest in becoming Sultan. The final straw was Umaru's declaration of Usman as Vizier for his regime. With such a direct sign of rapprochement displayed by the new ruler, the remaining nobles and the few who neither loved nor hated the new Sultan immediately switched over and swore fealty to him for he lacked neither charishma nor bravery!"

Denton Sinclair left Sokoto after a few more days with his notes and presents from Sultan Umaru Ali to the British. In the next few days, Umaru truly attempted to end his feuds by holding talks with Usman Amadu and agreeing to various demands which would have been seen as 'too generous' at other times. One of the biggest was the permission to launch a war against the friendly pagan kingdom of Calabar which he personally did not like due to his acute sense of chivalry. Another was the granting of the fiefdom to one of Usman Amadu's relatives.
Civil war had been avoided but the conflict of interests would continue.

On the 17th of March 1854 Sokoto demanded that the Ededem Effiom II convert to Islam immediately. His refusal was met with war!

30Fj62j.png

• 6Like
Reactions:
Onwards the Jihad!

The intrigue was all resolved quite nicely. Nice account by Sinclair. ;)

So glad to see an update! This is by far one of the most interesting AARs I've read.

Glad to see you back in action, mad orc :)

The crisis has been averted for now, but I have a feeling that the new Sultan's conciliatory gestures are only kicking the can down the road. Then again, that might be exactly what Sultan Ali is banking on -- for all his power and influence, Usman Amadu isn't getting any younger himself, and his own eventual demise will undoubtedly leave behind its own power vacuum that will need filling.

I always a bit of behind the doors activity , its good that stability was maintained at least for now

All right, change on the throne is celebrated by a quick war. Never change, Sokoto, never change :D

It is a shrewd move, though. It makes the opposing military figures busy, and with any luck, the couple of years gained by this campaign will be enough to let the new Caliph entrench his position.

• 1Like
Reactions: