• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The quest is actually fairly obvious. There's a big pop up and a voice over that says "I'm going to keep casting spells at you until you cast a spell that I don't know". It also comes quite early in the game, so it's hard to miss.

We'll agree to disagree on that point. It's easily missed with the GUI/quest issues there are right now, and he doesn't make it apparant when it is him casting a spell specifically.

Also the steps in the quest could be more obvious - It's easy to miss a step and get stuck on it for a long time if you're busy elsewhere.

There are far more dangerous things than that in the worlds.

But not usually so soon - Look at the rest of the image. I had barely managed to get two "cheap" (no gear yet) heroes and a few summons. That wolf pack decimated my entire army in three turns. :(

But not usually so soon - Look at the rest of the image. I had barely managed to get two "cheap" (no gear yet) heroes and a few summons. That wolf pack decimated my entire army in three turns. :(

by turn 96, and you're on the 3rd world, you should have spells available to blast it off the map as well as more powerful units.

I only just finished the Dragon summon quest a few turns earlier - So no. I do not have more powerful spells or powerful units. I had two heroes, a vampire, a noble werewolf and that dragon.

And those had no issue whatsoever taking down anything in that jungle together - But that wolf? Nope. I didn't even expect it to be a portal to a 4th tier node. I was hoping I could backtrack to an easier one and see what the other mages were up to.

Edit: I'll take a gander at your playthrough and see if I can pick up a few tips on optimization. Might make me more capable of turning such a sudden tide a little better.

I only just finished the Dragon summon quest a few turns earlier - So no. I do not have more powerful spells or powerful units. I had two heroes, a vampire, a noble werewolf and that dragon.

And those had no issue whatsoever taking down anything in that jungle together - But that wolf? Nope. I didn't even expect it to be a portal to a 4th tier node. I was hoping I could backtrack to an easier one and see what the other mages were up to.

Edit: I'll take a gander at your playthrough and see if I can pick up a few tips on optimization. Might make me more capable of turning such a sudden tide a little better.

Hate to say it man, but this is a strategy game. While I don't like the random spawns either, but if something kicks your butt you need to consider that maybe you weren't using the best strategy.

I hate how they enforce that though, you have no idea what's coming at you, just BAM supreme wolf of doom

Certainly quite abit unlucky facing it before turn 100.
Still doable though.
Its vulnerable to masses of low level archers using support mechanic and Spirit Magic.
Lesser Weakness and Weakness spells are very effective vs single high damage units.
All kind of other banes,like from Ice ring spell or Arethi Bowmen are very good vs it,too.
Archer Heroes and Healer Heroes are especially effective against it and generally pretty important in Exiled mode.

Warlock II seems to be a game where one can actually lose even on normal difficulty, at least in Exiled Mode.
I must say I do like this.

Certainly quite abit unlucky facing it before turn 100.
Still doable though.
Its vulnerable to masses of low level archers using support mechanic and Spirit Magic.
Lesser Weakness and Weakness spells are very effective vs single high damage units.
All kind of other banes,like from Ice ring spell or Arethi Bowmen are very good vs it,too.
Archer Heroes and Healer Heroes are especially effective against it and generally pretty important in Exiled mode.

Warlock II seems to be a game where one can actually lose even on normal difficulty, at least in Exiled Mode.
I must say I do like this.

It's definitely a lot harder. You also have (so it seems so far, I haven't finished an Exile game yet) much less access to Elite level units. In Warlock 1, I could often get a temple down around turn 30, and pump out powerful units. That seems completely impossible here given how strong the neutral monsters are, and the lack of early holy ground opportunities.

Hate to say it man, but this is a strategy game. While I don't like the random spawns either, but if something kicks your butt you need to consider that maybe you weren't using the best strategy.

I hate how they enforce that though, you have no idea what's coming at you, just BAM supreme wolf of doom

You pretty much answered and invalidated that first paragraph yourself - How do you prepare for something unknown? I had all of my heroes bunched up in case something bad appeared. That still wasn't enough. :D

It's very random - In my previous game I had managed to punch through to the last world. And then end game monster lairs ended the game for me by spawning everywhere and in huge numbers.

You pretty much answered and invalidated that first paragraph yourself - How do you prepare for something unknown? I had all of my heroes bunched up in case something bad appeared. That still wasn't enough. :D

It's very random - In my previous game I had managed to punch through to the last world. And then end game monster lairs ended the game for me by spawning everywhere and in huge numbers.

Not at all invalidated. Your general army strength may not be specifically tailored for one kind of enemy, but if you don't have anything of note that far in the game, you are probably not advancing well.

think of it this way -- you're only just learning this game/mode right now. Soon you'll be better at building the empire and won't have the problems you faced in the first 90 turns. At that point, would you really want a nerfed game? It's better to take the lumps now and get better, than ask for a nerf when you're still learning.

I found the part where you said a dragon and several heroes were considered "nothing of note". ;)

think of it this way -- you're only just learning this game/mode right now. Soon you'll be better at building the empire and won't have the problems you faced in the first 90 turns. At that point, would you really want a nerfed game? It's better to take the lumps now and get better, than ask for a nerf when you're still learning.

Yes - Yes I would. I don't play on hard/impossible modes because I do not relish the idea of having to spend hours upon hours learning minmax strategies and AI exploits.

I'll remind you that this is not the case of "get good" - It was a randomly spawned mob with no way to prepare for it other than "prepare for anything - and then some"

Warlock I had a pretty steep learning curve.
Argmageddon mode in Warlock I had a very high learning curve.

For Warlock II its the same and Exiled mode is rather hard.
If you havent played Warlock I, even while being pretty good in strategy games in general, there are probably a ton of things you will do better each time you start playing Warlock 2 again,even after like 50 hours of playing experience.
Its actually not that much about minmaxing things,its more about the general approach depending on what race and perks you did choose at the start of the game.Some races and perks require a different appoach and thats good imo.

The minmaxing thing is really important in MP games,at least it was in Warlock I and does depend a lot on the map size and settings as well.

I had something similar, Mad Farmers or something like that and I was only in round 70.
I didn´t expect something like that coming out of the portal which was closed and suddendly open(maybe a nother mage opened it)
There is a portal-opening quest that can result in mad peasants being spawned if you go for the wrong choices.
I believe it was the one with nobles trying to rob you at the portal, if you imprison the nobles, and then imprison their friend when he comes complaining, the peasants spawn.

Side note: You should totally read the lore info for the mad peasants, it's pretty funny.

Another side note: I got my mad peasants at around turn 30, so you complaining about getting them on turn 70 doesn't get much sympathy from me. :p

I'm no expert by any means. It's my second day playing. To me it's looks like you are trying to advance way too fast. Why fight too strong enemies? Retreat and build stronger units. Your army is way too little. http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/579017377767409039/59E1E972B2011478E5250688AA7DC948BE7E516F/ I'm ahead in turns but still.

You have to build more units, build your army well, try to work around your weaknesses. For example my army relies on ghost. Ghosts have low hp so I need really high resistances. Spirit, elemental and life damage is my weakness. So I researched spells that boost those resistances. Same goes with perks I use. I still have somewhat low resistances to life and spirit magic. For strong spirit/life damage monsters I use weakness and bring one zombie along to debuff the monster. I was also lucky enough to get 2 non-undead heroes.

Maybe This will not work later in the game. If that's the case then I need to think another way to deal with it. Think what you did wrong. Think what you can do differently.

I had something similar, Mad Farmers or something like that and I was only in round 70.
I didn´t expect something like that coming out of the portal which was closed and suddendly open(maybe a nother mage opened it)

Yeah I got the mad farmers too - Even earlier (I think it was the portal from a second world to a third?). 150 health or something. Really tough and decent damage. Scary peasants that are stronger than a hero. :D

I'm no expert by any means. It's my second day playing. To me it's looks like you are trying to advance way too fast. Why fight too strong enemies? Retreat and build stronger units. Your army is way too little.

It's not like the portals are labelled "This will bring you to a Tier ___ plane" or anything. It's literally a gamble every time you go near one to trigger the quest. Even early on if you're trying to move from one low tier plane to another.

So you're going to have to risk it at least enough times to get memorize the right answers (Most of them completely random and nonsensical and relying on dumb luck the first times around - Like the one with the riddles)

@Jk_bonn

wow,ok,this is really sick.
Extremely strong unit to face that early.

@ Nanonoodle

I agree.
It is worth noting that the further you come closer to the 2 final worlds,the harder the spawns and creatures in general get.
Also some events might be scripted to certain game stages when you enter a certain world and not to a certain static turn number.
Advancing more slowly could be the way to go.

Maybe This will not work later in the game. If that's the case then I need to think another way to deal with it. Think what you did wrong. Think what you can do differently.
You've got a fairly nice army, you might get some trouble once the game starts throwing flying mobs at you en masse though, espescially the shadow bats as they deal spirit damage.

There is a portal-opening quest that can result in mad peasants being spawned if you go for the wrong choices.
I believe it was the one with nobles trying to rob you at the portal, if you imprison the nobles, and then imprison their friend when he comes complaining, the peasants spawn.

Side note: You should totally read the lore info for the mad peasants, it's pretty funny.

Another side note: I got my mad peasants at around turn 30, so you complaining about getting them on turn 70 doesn't get much sympathy from me. :p

Turn 30 that is bad luck. But I remeber that I had imprisoned the nobles but then nothing new come...
The lore of them reminds me somehow of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.