• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

seattle

Field Marshal
50 Badges
Apr 2, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Knights of Honor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
Take C.A. for example. Every other year a new Total War installment comes out. The game is announced half-way through development. New information is fed to the customer in precisely calculated patterns, in order to keep fan interest high at all times.

Now wtf is this? Whoever is in charge of PR should be fired on the spot. Announce the game when you have something to show. My initial interest was through the roof. I bought the original Syndicate for the Commodore Amiga when it was awarded game of the month in my favourite gaming magazine. I still play it today occasionally. This game is god. By now, my interest in Cartel has diminished drastically.
You can judge the cleanliness of a restaurant kitchen based on the bathrooms, they say. I hope you can't judge a game's quality based on its marketing campaign...

Take C.A. for example. Every other year a new Total War installment comes out. The game is announced half-way through development. New information is fed to the customer in precisely calculated patterns, in order to keep fan interest high at all times.

Now wtf is this? Whoever is in charge of PR should be fired on the spot. Announce the game when you have something to show. My initial interest was through the roof. I bought the original Syndicate for the Commodore Amiga when it was awarded game of the month in my favourite gaming magazine. I still play it today occasionally. This game is god. By now, my interest in Cartel has diminished drastically.
You can judge the cleanliness of a restaurant kitchen based on the bathrooms, they say. I hope you can't judge a game's quality based on its marketing campaign...

Yeah, I have started to suspect that what they told RPS was a mistake. From what little I have heard PI started with ideas and was looking for a developer to make a game that they could publish. Somehow the news got out before they found a developer. Probably to capitalize on the "derp fps syndicate" feeling at the time. I'm thinking that they took a gamble and missed widely. I don't even think that they have a developer yet.

I get your frustration - but when the "PR-campaign" starts you'll know it.

From a development standpoint we decided early on that we weren't going to rush the game - getting it right is the most important thing considering all the different volatile elements involved in making a game that treads closely to a huge fan favorite.

/s

I get your frustration - but when the "PR-campaign" starts you'll know it.

Hmm, marketing and PR aren't interchangeable terms after all, I take it... ;)
Well, at least you succeeded in not rushing it. Nobody will dispute that!

If only CA's products were half as good as their marketing...

You're mad because they're not marketing at you "correctly"? You want a dripping out of pointless details of pre-rendered videos? You want the game to be kept secret for 2 years before they tell anyone? What exactly does this achieve?

They told us, their customers, what they are working on. Or at least thinking of working on. That's called honestly, and may be old fashioned, but I think it shows a trust in the users. I don't need to be fed a marketing campaign where every screenshot release is coldly calculated to recognize a good game. If you do there are plenty others who will do that for you.

That's called honestly, and may be old fashioned
There's only good and bad marketing and this one is abysmal. It's suicidal really. I doubt that anyone who was excited initally (like me) is still following this project. It reminds me of Core for HoI3 or any other of the countless d.o.a. mods. I just can't imagine that Cartel will ever be released. If something looks dead and smells dead, it probably is dead.

There's only good and bad marketing and this one is abysmal. It's suicidal really. I doubt that anyone who was excited initally (like me) is still following this project. It reminds me of Core for HoI3 or any other of the countless d.o.a. mods. I just can't imagine that Cartel will ever be released. If something looks dead and smells dead, it probably is dead.

So your entire theory is that since your interest died down (When it shouldn't have been up there in the first place), then there's no way to get it back up for anyone once the development diaries start being dished out?

Square Enix had already announced Final Fantasy XIV when XIII hadn't even been developed (Along with its spinoffs) so according to your theory Final Fantasy XIV is for all purposes dead and their PR department should all be fired on the spot. Likewise Max Payne 3 was three years without any new information on the game until very little time before the scheduled release. So according to your theory, Max Payne 3 was dead. Likewise, Half-Life 3 (Or Ep. 3) has been in production for like...8 years? without any new information. According to your theory the Valve PR department should all be fired on the spot, and that the announcement so many years ago for Half Life 3 was suicidal and the game will innevitably bomb when/if it's released. Nevertheless, shall we all confirm it as vaporware?ds

Please. They said they are working on the game nothing more. They didn't give deadlines, or any type of art, or anything really, besides a declaration of interest in making the game. It wasn't supposed to build hype. You making a big deal out of it doesn't mean that PR department is at any flaw. For Paradox's main titles, you only have the game's presentation once it is already under development and will keep a steady pace of development diaries, trailers and so on and so forth to keep the hype up. That's what happened in CK2 and that is what Paradox do when they want to create hype.

Which is very clearly not the case with this game. You should start following this project once there is actually stuff to be followed.

I have to agree with the OP. We know absolutely nothing about the game and this forum looks a bit like a ghost town, with several pointless threads and bored users who don't know what they are supposed to discuss.

Its fun asking a company to fire an employee just bcoz u did not like something isn't it.... :angry: