• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my current Germany game I gave up some naval doctrine techs and went along the "Base Strike" line of doctrines (the one that Japan and the USA use). It takes a long time to research them all since my tech teams aren't made for it, but I'm playing a long game and by 1944 I'm the king of the seas. I have 90-100% positioning vs 50-75% for UK and US. I have one 30-ship carrier group that usually has 6 carriers in it and a bunch of screens (I have 9 carriers atm but usually some are in drydock for repairs and I'm constructing more). I also have a 30-ship SAG with about 8-9 battleships and some heavy cruisers to round out to 15 capital/15 screens. Again, I have to rotate the heavies frequently for repairs.

Anyway, both of these groups smash anything they come up against with the technologies I have. I'm all the way down the list of techs to Carrier Warfare, which leaves only two more doctrines to learn and they are years away still. I realize that eventually the US will catch up with my techs and I'll lose my advantage, but I hope by then to have a significant numerical advantage :).

This wouldn't work for every Germany game (for one thing you need a very large economy to build all the ships) but I'm finding it quite rewarding in this one.

Base strike is so powerful in this game that, i believe, it doesn't make sense to follow other path, unless you are role-playing.

Usually my sea battles against the UK as Germany last a few days at most, before I retreat to save my navy dfrom damage. This one lasted more than 14 days... Anyway, my Kriegsmarine at this time consisted of three CV IV's, the 11 CA, 5 CL 36 DD and 12 TP. Attempting Seelöwe I got into a battle with about 80 odd British ships.

German losses:
Graf Zeppelin (CV)
Scheer CA
Lützow CA
Deutschland CA
Prinz Eugen CA
Slight damage to other ships

British losses:
Resolution, Warspite, Ramillies, Royal Sovereign, Valiant, Rodney, Barham, Queen Elizabeth, Malaya (Battleships)
Courageous, Ark Royal, Furious, Glorious (Carriers) Eagle (CVL)
Repulse, Hood, (Battle cruisers)
York, Exeter, London, Shropshire, Norfolk, Royal Oak (Heavy cruisers)

Is this a great victory or a net loss? A lot of old ships in the British list. Six CV's in three parallel builds going and two new CA to come off the ramps within the month, new series to start as soon as the new tech is researched.
Opinions?
DW
Your kidding, right?;)

unmitigated, undeniable, clear and decisive victory for the Kriegsmarine!:D Well done, and congrats!

By my count:
German/British Losses
CV's 1/4
CVL's 0/1
BB's 0/10 (Royal oak was the BB sunk in port by a U-boat, right?)
BC's 0/2
CA's 4/5

This kind of victory is definitely decisive, and could only have been considered a loss/draw if you had lost many elite land divisions when their transports were sunk, but as you didn't loose any TP's, there is nothing to offset the losses you inflicted.:)

Your kidding, right?;)

unmitigated, undeniable, clear and decisive victory for the Kriegsmarine!:D Well done, and congrats!

By my count:
German/British Losses
CV's 1/4
CVL's 0/1
BB's 0/10 (Royal oak was the BB sunk in port by a U-boat, right?)
BC's 0/2
CA's 4/5

This kind of victory is definitely decisive, and could only have been considered a loss/draw if you had lost many elite land divisions when their transports were sunk, but as you didn't loose any TP's, there is nothing to offset the losses you inflicted.:)

Glad to hear the general opinion is favourable. I'm a fleet meets the enemy: RUN! FLEET RUN!! type of player. I like my ships, but the new von Z. is out and about and has sunk her first battleship. :D

It delayed Seelöwe by about twenty days, which allowed the Brits to build up a beach head and land their colonial armies, which allowed me to destroy those colonial armies in Britain. Conquering the place did take longer than usual.:rolleyes: