• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We did some testing over at CIMX, and while this Terrain Party tool is very handy, it won't produce ready-to-play heightmaps, some (or a lot) of work/editing will be required. Read more...
There's a bunch of really fine HQ heightmaps already available in the CIMX exchange for free. And we invite you all to upload yours.

Happy (height)mapping everyone!

Thanks this is amazing!
But there is a problem with the projection of the squares, they are in scale only in the equator.

An update. I contacted the tool creator and he has just replied with this:

"I'm planning to re-do the bounding box calculations, which will correct the scale in terms of cosine issues. I'm also planning on adding some zoom buttons, allowing you to change the scale away from 1:1 if you desire."

So that says to me that there will be latitude corrections for those of us not on the equator and also unnatural map scaling if wanted - so you could force the UK into the 25 tiles perhaps. It sounds like it's all good news this weekend!

Is there a way to rotate the square? If I snapshot Douglas with it oriented North/South/East/West then I'll end up with several potentially usable squares just full of water.

Is there a way to rotate the square? If I snapshot Douglas with it oriented North/South/East/West then I'll end up with several potentially usable squares just full of water.

I'm pretty sure that came up on the reddit thread and that the guy said he would do something. I'd like to do that to the Isle of Wight too.

Another update:

The latitude fix is in, but we discovered that if you drag the box from the start position, rather than search or recentre it, it keeps the starting latitude correction, and therefore the scale will be wrong. The guy is fixing this now, but it will work if you avoid dragging too far as it is.

The scaling will go in fast, so you can fit the UK into the box etc. Maybe this weekend.

Rotating the box will be done after that; I have no idea if it will be there for Tuesday.

Edit: WOW, just got a message to say he's fixed the dragging! Watch it change size as you drag to high lat's :eek:)

Last edited: