• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

am300307

Colonel
50 Badges
Aug 17, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
My biggest problem right now with Imperator is its game speed. It goes so slow in my opinion (probably my CPU i5 6600k). But then I play CK3 and the game is so much faster. I would think CK3 is a much more resource intensive game with all the characters, but it runs faster than Imperator. Is there a known reason for this? Is it just because Imperator number crunches more things or is CK3 better optimized?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I had to slow down the game speed in the defines because Speed 1 was too fast in late game wars lol

I almost never use speed 5 in IR. 4 is my most common setting, in wars I reduce to 3 and if things look really bad and every move matters I go for 2.

Reactions:
4j6k0a.jpg

• 20Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Even if not every pop in the game might tank the CPU at the same time, I could imagine that at least those subject to current "change" (= growing/starving, assimilating, converting, demoting, promoting, imigrating and emigrating) do so. Now we have 7000+ territories AFAIK and even if not everywhere constantly all of the forementioned things happen, we will very likely have a five-digit of number of them. And once a month the speed of those processes gets recalculated or they can start/finish. Another drain is probably the happiness/output calculation for them (which has to be done on territory-base as well, as buildings can have a local impact).

Last edited:
Reactions:
As long as the game performance stays at it currently is or improves, I'm fine with it and the game speed. I just don't want a worse experience in these two areas of the game, but I'm happy with the status quo!

• 1Like
Reactions:
make sense, do you think if the pops are interpreted by % it will be easier for the PCs to "make maths" and calculate faster the monthly changes?? We wouldn't have from 100 pops in the city, 25 Citizens, 25 Freemen and 50 Slaves but might it be faster with % like 25%, 25% Freemen and 50% Slaves???

make sense, do you think if the pops are interpreted by % it will be easier for the PCs to "make maths" and calculate faster the monthly changes?? We wouldn't have from 100 pops in the city, 25 Citizens, 25 Freemen and 50 Slaves but might it be faster with % like 25%, 25% Freemen and 50% Slaves???
The minimum number of possible pops for calculation purposes is a four dimensional matrix of social class, culture, religion, and territory. That becomes a large number of required calculations when you have big multicultural cities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like pops

Just for Game balance I would suggest that pdx should increase initial pops but decrease their growth..the least would be also more realistic

• 1Like
Reactions:
With the new rules removing the need for carpet sieges, I guess we'll be seeing the AIs occupy fewer territories with an army, which is usually where they get to kill some Pops. I hope growth rates (or some other compensation) account for the reduction in deaths through war.

Reactions:
Just for Game balance I would suggest that pdx should increase initial pops but decrease their growth..the least would be also more realistic

It would be more realistic and I don't want a fast(er) pop growth, but a very slow pop growth isn't good for the gameplay. Because it would make pop growth and to some extent city management meaningless. So this is very difficult to hit the right spot between realism and gameplay.

With the new rules removing the need for carpet sieges, I guess we'll be seeing the AIs occupy fewer territories with an army, which is usually where they get to kill some Pops. I hope growth rates (or some other compensation) account for the reduction in deaths through war.

I would prefer compensations over a growth rate decrease like having still the possibility to raid (only to a certain extent) a already occupied territory, which kills and enslaves some pops (maybe introduce a loot bar comparable to the one of EUIV?). Or you get loot (money, slaves and some pops killed) from every territory of a province, after occupying the last fort/province capital - only from territories that haven't already been occupied and looted manually before.

Just a slower pop growth rate would mean, that pops are more stall and become just something predefined in the game. With pops still being enslaved and taken to other cities and also killed more often in war, but therefore the pop growth is higher, it's a more dynamical and diverse mechanic during each campaign you play. Also a fire and disease mechanic in the future would be better than just a straight and flat reduction of pop growth over the complete course of a campaign.

But I agree, that pops have to get adressed, because of the changes in 2.0!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really wonder why Imperator has gone with the approach where every pop is an independent actor. Instead of the vicky 2 approach where pop number is just a modifier to the pop. That way the game would save a lot of computational power.

Anyway comming from Stellaris, Im really used to extreme end game lag so CK3 and I:R performance is great for me. Hahaha

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Imperator runs surprisingly decently on my old (midrange, mid 2010's) rig, better than late game HOI4 or Stellaris; do you reckon I should give CK3 a try ? I've been afraid of buying more modern titles lately because frankly my laptop needs replacing.
Sure, I enjoy it a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: