Imperator - Development Diary 6th of May 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Rhine is navigable to an extent. Will see if I can provide a screenshot later tonight :)

Here's a screenshot of the Rhine. It is navigable all the way up to Mogontiacum/Aquae Mattiacorum.

Clipboard02.png

A topic worth discussing. @Trin Tragula

The inherent value in the ”omen power” modifier ought to be on one hand the flexibility of omens and on another hand their linkage to religious unity. (If dicipline is always your priority, a dicipline invention should always be better than an omen power invention IMO.)

I think its key to make religious unity the base value for omen power, and make sure omen-power modiers have a multiplicative relationship with that base.

Then a devout empire with high unity and effective high priest has additional incentive to empower their omens.

Otherwise omen power is just a flat boon, that can be judged as strictly better or strictly weaker than alternatives

As for the exact numbers, If omen power boons are indeed weak, they can be tweaked a bit, no biggie.
Yes making omen Power multiplicative with unity would allow to make the base effect of omens stronger as keeping religious unity high is not an easy thing to do as a large empire.

Nice work, I'm satisfied by this DD. I hope that in future you will add some pantheon\syncretism mechanic, so you can expand your list of omens absorbing other religions, and also the loyalty hit from changing religion can be even more strong considering what happened to Eliogabalus! However, what about the Parnians? they can convert more easily to zoroastrism when they become Parthia?

Last element about religion it's about the far future of the game and the hope about adding imperial period. These mechanics about loyalty and conversion could become very cool with phenomena about proselyting religion, and about Christianity you don't have to rapresent the birth of Jesus and so on... simply at some point after, decades after the birth of christ the empire start to notice that a new religion started to spread around based on christinity etc... converting some pops around the empire...

The whole of the Aegean a coastal sea? Some of the areas in the Aegean are huge,especially for wooden ships. I think that the coastal areas should be limited to only very close to land areas. The battle of Salamis tactics could only be applied in very restricted areas.

I was watching the DD every week with interest,while waiting to play the game. The problem is that I'm still in that phase. Hopefully 1.1 will come out soon enough.

Here's a screenshot of the Rhine. It is navigable all the way up to Mogontiacum/Aquae Mattiacorum.

Looks great!
Now that roadbuilding being in the game. Armies should only be able to cross the navigable part of the Rhine or other navigable rivers when a road(bridge) is build over that part of the river. Or maybe just take a lot longer time to cross if there is no bridge, so barbarians can still move around.

I love this naval range system. It means just like in real life if a country wants to control the seas, they'll have to establish naval bases at regular distance by capturing small port cities. If for example Carthage wants to fight in the Black Sea, they'll have to get naval bases in Ionia and Aegean first, and shipping elephant armies from India to Egypt will take much more effort. :)

The religion changes are a welcome addition as well.

Any plans on making port-building dynamic, letting the player decide where to build ports? Or will they remain static and preset?

I don´t know why i bought the game so early...I should have waited 1 year + christmas´s discount.

Anyway, it seems like a major improve and i don´t understand why it was not added in the game from the first day. I suppose they were pushing them to release the game no matter what. I hope to see soon these improvements, of course after the hotfix :p

Will all of the different boats be able to carry land units? One thing I particularly don't like in the current game is how easy it is to do massive naval landings with 100s of thousands of men. I was hoping that the naval rework would change this but you didn't mention it.

The navies needed a rework and that is great. But i wonder why you have decided to focus here?. Alot of bad reviews are coming from the MANA system. I personally can't bring myself to play this game with its current anti strategy MANA focus.
Im worried the developers will abandon the community who appreciates the lack of abstract currencies for all actions in vic2, hoi4, and eu4.
Even the eu4 mana isnt great but as its mostly for tech, (no magic scroll power replacing your diplomats) its tolerable but this IR: Rome is just like a board game.

"Lack of mana" and "EU4" in the same sentence? Mana permates everything, from tech, as you mention, to ideas, to stability, to trade (if you actually improve mercantilism), to culture, to military leadership, to economy and industry, to administration, to freaking charging a castle. The wiki shows 42 uses of voluntary monarch points in eu4, ignoring the events and such that drain your points. I don't have a problem with it, but many do. But it certainly is not isolated to EU4. Diplomatic power in Vicky (lol), political power and exp. in hoi4 (should incorporation of military theory, production methods, weapon design, etc. be instant?) and influence in Stellaris (shouldn't influence grow if you build starbases?) Abstract measurements of power don't make it unplayable.

They do introduce artificial constrictions. Balancing games for SP and MP and all of the possible situations and outcomes is an extraordinary challenge. "Mana" is a —relatively — fixed method (yes, they can vary) of introducing artificial balance to snowballing. Supplemented by stability mechanics, and more natural processes of empire-collapse, it can work so well, as in many situations, without it, there is absolutely no route, method, strategy, or dynamic by which a second party can keep up with a hegemon, especially when min-maxing. Unless they make it nigh-on impossible to create an unrealistically large empire — PDS would not do that, as expansion is a key element of gameplay, not expansion and contraction — "mana" is the only rope human-controlled minors can hold on to, and pull themselves up on.

In short, the basic design of PDS strategy games is expansion through military conquest — there is no "victory", other than the highest score, and that is always through conquest. Always. Let me stress, I don't think this should change. But if it does not change, then we need an arbitrary, stablising currency that ties systems together such that minor players always have a chance to catch up. Otherwise, you'll experience what happens in hoi4 lobbies — people quitting in 1940. Moreover, the ai can't ragequit like you can — it can only bend over and take it. If you want a balance, both with human-played minor and with ai — you need this sort of potential unpredictable, uncertain, and arbitrary, competitive advantage.

Will all of the different boats be able to carry land units? One thing I particularly don't like in the current game is how easy it is to do massive naval landings with 100s of thousands of men. I was hoping that the naval rework would change this but you didn't mention it.
Navy should be able to supply armies as well as that was one of the reason why countries used navies.

Looks really nice!

How will fort zone of controls work along navigable rivers? Will they reach across, and if so will they prevent fleets from moving past?

I can't remember if forts in port cities already has a bonus or how significant that is but that bonus should probably be looked over and made sure to be properly significant (again maybe it already is) to not disincentivise building forts on port cities. It seems extremely risky on paper now to do so with the proposed changes. Wouldn't want everyone to just build their forts in the city next to the port, functionally removing the new ship interactions. Just something to keep in mind.

Navy should be able to supply armies as well as that was one of the reason why countries used navies.

You mean having a navy increasing the supply limit of nearby provinces, or something like that? Sounds interesting but depending on implementation might be micro heavy (if f.e. you end up having to "chase" your army along the coast with your navy.

Looks very nice! You guys went further with the naval combat then I expected. Really cool! And the news on religions is looking great.

Quick question though: Will river ports become possible this way? Or will ship production still only happen on the coast?