Imperator - Development Diary - 29th April 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As soon as the first patch, Demetrius, is ready, it will be released this week.
Will this be as a beta patch first? Or straight to full release?

Our first big patch called ‘Pompey’ will be out before the summer holidays
This all sounds lovely. I'm particularly happy with the stability changes. How will the -2 stability hit for Show Supremacy CBs be affected by this?

Thanks for the DD, these changes look great !

Love the game btw, room for improvement of course but overall a very enjoyable experience, I especially love building roads all over Europe :D

Stability
The old stability mechanics were partly legacy from the first PDS game ever made, with a range from -3 to +3, and also one of the most complained usage of power that we had in the game, in that people did not enjoy being able to instantly increase stability if they just had power.

First of all stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Threshold for starting wars is a minimum of 10 stability, and you need 10 stability to appoint people to government.

Legitimacy
When changing Stability and War-Exhaustion, we also took a look at legitimacy, and made it work the same way. Legitimacy is no longer instantly increased from a button press, but a stackable short-term increase you can pay to get.
Thank you, please minimize these instant mana mechanics for future updates/games... :D

If stability should take time so should development of inventions. Currently you can stockpile massive amount of civic power and when purchase the inventions as soon as you get access to them.

Also if you produce Little research it should take long time to develop and spread the invention. Like how can you develop property taxes at all if you dont produce any research.

Governors
One thing that was completely missed when developing the game, was the aspect of having the governors attribute matter. This obviously needed to be changed, so now finesse skill of governors will impact the output of the cities they govern by 5% for each finesse.

Could we also have governors take a more active role in managing their region? Things like managing trade and province focus. This would take away a lot of tedious micromanagement in the mid-late game as well as being more historically accurate (I think, not a historian).

Over time it has the same impact. The weights aren't equal. The pop it chooses to grow is drawn from some probability distribution. For example, you won't grow a slave in a city with no slaves. Your suggestion would only cause the time between pop "births" to be less even across pop types, which may be a marginal improvement in terms of immersion, but it may also have a negative impact on performance.

Not when you balance it. The random chance has not much sense. Why freeman should stop to grow, when a slave is growing right now? Of course in the long run we need also some epedemics to reduce the population. Towns with higher population should have a igher risk.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Can we have the option to Sacrifice Goats to increase the time the +0.5 stability ticks up... =D

Certainly the right direction. What is going to be done with the culture blobbing? AE no threat because you assimilate every thing so fast.
Remove it completely in its current form and remove the culture unhappiness as AE is enough to punish multicultural empires.

For Imperator, some things will be similar to how we have developed games since we released CK2, and some will be new. We will aim to have two major updates each year, with accompanying big expansions, where we focus on flavor in the paid content, while having core systems primarily part of the free patch

This is really encouraging. I love your DLC/game support policy, but my biggest concern coming from eu4 was that it was starting to significantly impact the quality of the game overtime. This seems like a really solid innovation.

Am I allowed to flog johans custom character?

This is great! I was especially concerned about tech. Glad it's being balanced!

Will Demetrius include any changes for modding? There were a few things that were going to be added (for the datasystem like Makescope becoming a promote etc..). Are those for Demetrius or Pompey?

The random chance has not much sense. Why freeman should stop to grow, when a slave is growing right now?
It's a reasonable abstraction since it has almost no impact on long term pop distributions. Of course, the slower the pop growth is, the bigger the disparity would be.

Of course in the long run we need also some epedemics to reduce the population. Towns with higher population should have a igher risk.
I agree that this would be pretty good addition.

Religious conversion should only be allowed with Laws and prostalyzsm Idea.

Culture conversion should probably not be allowed at all with maybe the random conversion here and there, maybe tied to civilisation effort.

I am a bit missing the possiblity of solving revolt issues with money. Which is odd because this (taxation, tariffs) is next to military service a main source of unrest in history, or a way to win people over. Please consider having a tax level or tax toggle on a province. I want to convert/assimilate my newly conquerd cities, but ease people into int with tax exemptions.

I know its on the cosmetic side of things and there are allot more important updates coming but are there plans to introduce unit models for different unit types? Doesnt feel right when my heavy cavalry is a hoplite.