• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI-Player

Corporal
6 Badges
Dec 7, 2020
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
A question! If a single unit in a unit group (army corps) has an engineer battalion or anti-aircraft battalion ... does this battalion with its attributes only affect the individual unit or the entire group (army corps)?

The brigade only affects the division that it is attached to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks! .... that means that a pioneer battalion of a unit that is integrated into an army corps has basically no effect (e.g. on the speed of the corps when crossing rivers) ... right?

Thanks! .... that means that a pioneer battalion of a unit that is integrated into an army corps has basically no effect (e.g. on the speed of the corps when crossing rivers) ... right?
Unfortunately, that is correct. It's even worse for ships. That CL with an AA attachment only provides AA cover for itself and not for an entire task force. Same with radar, float planes, etc. Edit: Actually, I'm not 100 % sure about radar. I do recall someone stating that you only need one ship with radar in order for it to be effective.

Unfortunately, that is correct. It's even worse for ships. That CL with an AA attachment only provides AA cover for itself and not for an entire task force.
Well, actually it provides cover for the whole fleet. Even while an AA-brigade improves only the stats of the single ship it is attached to, it helps the overall fleet AA capabilities. It's the same like with an artillery brigade on one infantry in a stack of 5 infantry. The artillery brigade raises only the stats of the one infantry but this raises the overall combat capability of the stack.

What you strive for:
To give your fleet enough anti-air capability that attacking planes loose their org as fast as possible so they are forced to break off the attack.
Wether this is achieved by adding light cruisers (with general good AA-abilities) or fitting each capital with AA-brigades or...

Even better (when you are somehow close to your own territory): Airforce.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, actually it provides cover for the whole fleet. Even while an AA-brigade improves only the stats of the single ship it is attached to, it helps the overall fleet AA capabilities. It's the same like with an artillery brigade on one infantry in a stack of 5 infantry. The artillery brigade raises only the stats of the one infantry but this raises the overall combat capability of the stack.

What you strive for:
To give your fleet enough anti-air capability that attacking planes loose their org as fast as possible so they are forced to break off the attack.
Wether this is achieved by adding light cruisers (with general good AA-abilities) or fitting each capital with AA-brigades or...

Even better (when you are somehow close to your own territory): Airforce.
That's a good point and my analogy probably wasn't a good one (especially considering that ART will indeed boost the combat numbers for the over all corps). I guess what I was trying to say is that if the CL is the only ship with an AA brigade, that ship will be the only one benefitting from the brigade Assuming it's targeted in the air attack. Wait, planes do target individual ships right? Or is the entire stack attacked as a whole like in land combat? You'd think I'd know this by now. :eek:

Wait, planes do target individual ships right? Or is the entire stack attacked as a whole like in land combat? You'd think I'd know this by now.
From observation of sea/Nav-battles I'd say: Naval planes seem to behave quite similar to ships in combat. They choose one target and stick to it until sunk or they need to break off the attack.

And they seem to priorize targets that are already heavily damaged what makes them highly efficient killers. Next in the priority list seem to be either BBs or Transports. In one battle I saw a BB with around 50% damage killed by 2 NAV-1 and 2 TAC within the very first battle hour.

• 1Like
Reactions:
NAVs are slightly overpowered.

Target priority is controlled by

# Naval bombardment [1] - Chance for attacking bombers to hit the most damaged ship in fleet. [1] + [2] <= 100; 100 - [1] - [2] = chance to hit a random ship. Don't use fractions!
50 #50
# Naval Bombardment [2] - Chance for attacking bombers to hit the best ship in fleet. [1] + [2] <= 100; 100 - [1] - [2] = chance to hit a random ship. Don't use fractions!
25 #25

Reactions:
Ah, never got as far as line 573 in misc.txt. Actually the idea hadn't crossed my mind that it could be defined there.

But does that mean, when a NAV targets a transport-ships within a fleet, no damage, with also, let's say BCs, that targetting the TP is then the result of "random ship"?

Ah, never got as far as line 573 in misc.txt. Actually the idea hadn't crossed my mind that it could be defined there.

But does that mean, when a NAV targets a transport-ships within a fleet, no damage, with also, let's say BCs, that targetting the TP is then the result of "random ship"?
With no damage in a fleet, there would be no "most damaged ship", the selection should be random.

The interesting part is, how is "best ship " defined ..... my guess is the military value define in division_types. But don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: