I know it's early, but repetitive decisions is making the game boring.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jpinard

Lt. General
109 Badges
May 21, 2001
Visit site
  • Cities in Motion
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Thinking back to CK2 plus Old Gods, it somehow feels like there is way less emergent gameplay in CK3. The game gets boiled down to having the same few questions thrown at me, and it loses all its luster. After a bit I feel like I'm playing a multiple choice Excel Spreadsheet vs. CK... something I never felt in CK2.

Does anyone else feel like you very quickly devolve into the same sequence of decisions that just repeat ad infinitum? Like there's a lack of variety in there to spice things up?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah the events are very lacking right now. I'm really hoping they expand of them in every future DLC. Until then, there are some mods that add more events that you can look into if you're not set on Ironman.

Reactions:
Thinking back to CK2 plus Old Gods, it somehow feels like there is way less emergent gameplay in CK3. The game gets boiled down to having the same few questions thrown at me, and it loses all its luster. After a bit I feel like I'm playing a multiple choice Excel Spreadsheet vs. CK... something I never felt in CK2.

Does anyone else feel like you very quickly devolve into the same sequence of decisions that just repeat ad infinitum? Like there's a lack of variety in there to spice things up?
Yeah, it definitely has less width of play with decisions.

That said, even going back to Old Gods, you're still comparing it against over a year of post release development, 10 major patches, and 4 gameplay DLCs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've noticed this too. Obviously, the game is going to have fewer events at this point than CK2, but I think part of the reason that it feels like the events are so repetitive is because a large percentage of events are tied to the skill trees, or the raising of children. Personally, I use two focuses 90% of the time and rarely use the others, so I see the same events from those focuses over and over and over again. And as far as I can tell with the education events, it seems like there is only one or two events for each character trait, so you're also going to see those quite frequently (I seem to get that one with the feast where you can pick between shy, impatient, or gluttonous with every other kid). I hope when they add more events, that they significantly expand generic events, i.e., ones that could be experienced by any character, as I think a lot of events right now are hidden behind focuses/specific religions, etc.

Reactions:
I have really been missing events, artifacts, books, and dynamic disease outbreaks. CK2 had a lot of x-factors that made every reign feel unique. CK3 has a long way to go in terms of putting flesh on its bones.

• 4Like
Reactions:
(I seem to get that one with the feast where you can pick between shy, impatient, or gluttonous with every other kid)
Literally the worst education event ever. I got that almost every time I educated someone. Shy is the worst trait in the game, gluttonous is a sin, so you're left with impatient. Every single heir I've educated is impatient because of this event.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This may seem counter-intuitive, but I find the greater detailed events of CK3 to be more problematic than the quicker, more vague events from CK2. Maybe not on a single playthrough, but the simpler CK2 events require you to use your imagination more on how this action is related to your character and how their personality and situation creates a unique outcome. The CK3 events not only create a detailed scenario, but detailed outcomes as well, giving less flexibility in tying them to your character's unique situation. A great example of this are the romance and seduction schemes; in CK2 seduction was limited to a small number of vague events, but that gave you the room to imagine how your character's personality fit without having to spend much time reading the event. In CK3 there are barely any events either, but now they're long and detailed, telling you what your character does and says, all the while providing no personalization. Maybe this would be less of a problem if there were more than like 3 seduction events.

That got a little rambly but TLDR, CK2 events provide better replayability by being less guided.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, I do feel the lack of events is my main issue right now. It makes peacetime a bit more boring as can sometimes go months or years in-game without a decision.

I'd also really like to see more cultural and religion-specific events. It feels strange to me that whether I am a Christian Lord in France, a tribal ruler in Africa, a pagan Viking in Scandinavia, Emir in the Middle-East or Raj in India that it is the same three pilgrimage, hunt or feast options. All that is different is just a little bit of flavour text (you travel to Mecca instead of Rome).

• 1Like
Reactions:
there are some religion-specific events during pilgrimages, but more would certainly be awesome.

Reactions:
I'd also really like to see more cultural and religion-specific events. It feels strange to me that whether I am a Christian Lord in France, a tribal ruler in Africa, a pagan Viking in Scandinavia, Emir in the Middle-East or Raj in India that it is the same three pilgrimage, hunt or feast options. All that is different is just a little bit of flavour text (you travel to Mecca instead of Rome).

This is far better than CK2 though, where most religions and cultures had almost no events or decisions related to them because they were exclusive to Christianity. I way prefer having a bunch of generic options that everyone has access to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
More events will probably be added in the future, especially with DLCs, so that will improve variety a bit.

That being said, we have to be realistic: with the number of hours some of us put into the game repetitive events are only a question of time. A game can't have a variety of events with minimal repetition when people put hundreds of hours into the game. :)

I'd also like to give some kudos to Paradox on this one. While there are areas of the game I haven't been fully satisfied with (though that's true of any game), the writing is overall really excellent. It's of noticeably higher quality than CK2, and most of the time it is funny when it intends to be funny, serious when it intends to be serious, and on first encounter most events are a joy to read. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is far better than CK2 though, where most religions and cultures had almost no events or decisions related to them because they were exclusive to Christianity. I way prefer having a bunch of generic options that everyone has access to.

I think it depends on the culture/religion. Admittedly, some religions in CK2 had very little flavour to them, but others like Norse Pagans, Indians, Africa (after Holy Fury) had a lot more than they have now in terms of individuality.

Reactions:
This may seem counter-intuitive, but I find the greater detailed events of CK3 to be more problematic than the quicker, more vague events from CK2. Maybe not on a single playthrough, but the simpler CK2 events require you to use your imagination more on how this action is related to your character and how their personality and situation creates a unique outcome. The CK3 events not only create a detailed scenario, but detailed outcomes as well, giving less flexibility in tying them to your character's unique situation. A great example of this are the romance and seduction schemes; in CK2 seduction was limited to a small number of vague events, but that gave you the room to imagine how your character's personality fit without having to spend much time reading the event. In CK3 there are barely any events either, but now they're long and detailed, telling you what your character does and says, all the while providing no personalization. Maybe this would be less of a problem if there were more than like 3 seduction events.

That got a little rambly but TLDR, CK2 events provide better replayability by being less guided.

No, it just means that in ck2, people who were familiar with the game knew what the outcomes would be while those who werent had to guess.

The problem in ck3 is that most of the events are the same thing and a lot of events are extremely rare. I have had luntaic/possessed characters before, but i didnt get any special events related to them at all, and they have no trouble ruling massive empires unlke what caligula did. Many events are also tied to very rare circumstances, iirc the carp pond event requires you to have a dwarf court member + several courtiers mad at you. Many events are tied to a specific lifestyle focus, for example you cant get the train warhose event unless you are on the chivalry focus.

With ck3, you just keep getting spammed with :

-Feast invites that have a risk at making you overweight

-Someone in your extended family had a secret exposed

-Someone in your extended family turned out to have a bastard heritage

Thats like 90% of events with the remaining 10% being tied to your lifestyle focus.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, it definitely has less width of play with decisions.

That said, even going back to Old Gods, you're still comparing it against over a year of post release development, 10 major patches, and 4 gameplay DLCs.
And maybe they could've included more on ck3 launch so we don't have to buy as much stuff twice. What use are map extensions if the world itself is hollow

• 1Like
Reactions:
No, it just means that in ck2, people who were familiar with the game knew what the outcomes would be while those who werent had to guess.

The problem in ck3 is that most of the events are the same thing and a lot of events are extremely rare. I have had luntaic/possessed characters before, but i didnt get any special events related to them at all, and they have no trouble ruling massive empires unlke what caligula did. Many events are also tied to very rare circumstances, iirc the carp pond event requires you to have a dwarf court member + several courtiers mad at you. Many events are tied to a specific lifestyle focus, for example you cant get the train warhose event unless you are on the chivalry focus.

With ck3, you just keep getting spammed with :

-Feast invites that have a risk at making you overweight

-Someone in your extended family had a secret exposed

-Someone in your extended family turned out to have a bastard heritage

Thats like 90% of events with the remaining 10% being tied to your lifestyle focus.
Agree largely but just hunt more to stop getting obese
Yeah, I do feel the lack of events is my main issue right now. It makes peacetime a bit more boring as can sometimes go months or years in-game without a decision.

Yeh Muslims get same preview image for pilgrimage as Christians, but they do get unique hajj chain and decision.

Reactions:
Agree largely but just hunt more to stop getting obese

Hunting on cooldown doesn't help if you go to a feast a month (as will tend to happen if you accept all the invites you get from vassals in a large empire). You have to refuse all feasts AND hunt on cooldown.

Reactions:
Lots of events are tied to different aspects of the game and that is why we experience always the same events for the Nth time.

Other than that many, many events have very specific firing conditions, which means they fire once in a blue moon. In my opinion, this is a waste of dev time, as most events should be experienced for almost everyone (except for cultural/religious events).

For instance, six different events with a long MTTH that cannot happen more than once in a lifetime, should be created for the wife/husband of the player character, six more events under the same conditions should be created for the council, six more for friends, six more for lovers, six more for rivals, six more for a particualrly high skill, six more for a particularly low skill, etc.
Now developing lots of events with complex firing conditions leads to the player seeing the ones that are tied to specific game mehcanics without other conditions quite often.

As far as decisions go, they are very few at this time that are permanently available or, as events, they have very strict triggers that make them almost never showing. Certainly DLCs will improve the situation.

(before you ask, I have nothing for or against the number six ;). Coupled with a long MTTH it just provides the variety needed without repeating themselves)

Last edited:
And maybe they could've included more on ck3 launch so we don't have to buy as much stuff twice. What use are map extensions if the world itself is hollow
They DID include more. Ck3 only starts to fall behind Ck2 in features after more Post launch content than most games get total was added to it.

Ck3 is also set to have a slower, more feature heavy DLC cycle compared to Ck2.

Of course it'd always be nice for there to have been more than there is. But that doesn't change that Ck3 is an objectively better and deeper game than Ck2 was at launch.

That also doesn't mean that Ck3 isn't shallow right now. It is.
It took Ck2 years to reach a fair depth of play. Ck3 will too, but it's got a head start comparatively.

Reactions: