How will the Hundred Years' War will last a hundred Years under Project Tinto?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Revshawn

Lt. General
90 Badges
Mar 5, 2010
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
When I look at games under development and I start to judge whether they will be good or bad, certain things jump out at me that I latch onto and can't really shake out of my head because it makes so much sense. For me, a good barometer of whether or not Project Tinto will be successful is how it treats the 100 year war. Obviously, much like Victoria 3, there are going to have steps made to try and have a war like this not end too quickly. Taking over land and territory due to the control system being implemented such as in Tinto Talks #6 can only do so much, as the English will have a limit of land they can realistically control and gain benefit from and just like in history, it will be on the coastline.

Capturing noted figures, such as the Kings of either country or killing large flocks of nobility as happened in history should be reflected in game as something that can happen not just in Project Tinto, but generally in the game overall. The biggest swings in the Hundreds year war occurred when either a King was imprisoned, dead, or a Kingdom had a regency due to a super young monarch. I think the best you can hope for in the early period, as a English Monarch finding incredible success over the French in the mid 1300's, is the domination over Normandy, Brittany, North Burgundy and the Aquitaine and a very loose personal union against a weakened France where you are facing constant revolts from the upstart French trying to crown one of their own King. The only way it'll last a hundred years is if the player faces consistent pressure and revolts from their French subjects trying to cast off the English yoke. And luckily, it seems as if the systems in Project Tinto seem poised to do that even if we don't know any specific mechanics for the Hundreds Year War yet.

My own view of the Hundreds Year War is that the English were both extremely smart and extremely lucky. Carefully placed alliances, advancements in longbow penetration, and French infighting allowed the English to make incredible inroads upon what was one of the strongest medieval Kingdoms in Europe. I feel like a reversal was inevitable once the French got their shit together. But it would be neat if there was an alternate reality where an mid 1400's England manages to finally put a King comfortably on both thrones thus avoiding the War of the Roses. By then I assume, technology will have increased enough for you to exercise at least nominal control over France.

Everything said, it will be interesting to see if the 100 years war will last 100 years in-game. That's a long time period that even for its medieval counterpart is highly unusual. It'll be interesting to see how Paradox nudges the player into recreating this particular time period and how the game handles highly successful players to keep them from snowballing.

• 18Like
Reactions:
When I look at games under development and I start to judge whether they will be good or bad, certain things jump out at me that I latch onto and can't really shake out of my head because it makes so much sense. For me, a good barometer of whether or not Project Tinto will be successful is how it treats the 100 year war. Obviously, much like Victoria 3, there are going to have steps made to try and have a war like this not end too quickly. Taking over land and territory due to the control system being implemented such as in Tinto Talks #6 can only do so much, as the English will have a limit of land they can realistically control and gain benefit from and just like in history, it will be on the coastline.

Capturing noted figures, such as the Kings of either country or killing large flocks of nobility as happened in history should be reflected in game as something that can happen not just in Project Tinto, but generally in the game overall. The biggest swings in the Hundreds year war occurred when either a King was imprisoned, dead, or a Kingdom had a regency due to a super young monarch. I think the best you can hope for in the early period, as a English Monarch finding incredible success over the French in the mid 1300's, is the domination over Normandy, Brittany, North Burgundy and the Aquitaine and a very loose personal union against a weakened France where you are facing constant revolts from the upstart French trying to crown one of their own King. The only way it'll last a hundred years is if the player faces consistent pressure and revolts from their French subjects trying to cast off the English yoke. And luckily, it seems as if the systems in Project Tinto seem poised to do that even if we don't know any specific mechanics for the Hundreds Year War yet.

My own view of the Hundreds Year War is that the English were both extremely smart and extremely lucky. Carefully placed alliances, advancements in longbow penetration, and French infighting allowed the English to make incredible inroads upon what was one of the strongest medieval Kingdoms in Europe. I feel like a reversal was inevitable once the French got their shit together. But it would be neat if there was an alternate reality where an mid 1400's England manages to finally put a King comfortably on both thrones thus avoiding the War of the Roses. By then I assume, technology will have increased enough for you to exercise at least nominal control over France.

Everything said, it will be interesting to see if the 100 years war will last 100 years in-game. That's a long time period that even for its medieval counterpart is highly unusual. It'll be interesting to see how Paradox nudges the player into recreating this particular time period and how the game handles highly successful players to keep them from snowballing.
Technically it didn't last 100 years straight but there were a lot of truces in the middle, I think that every phase will be considered as a different war.
Maybe being able to make truces to then restart the war at the end of it would be useful.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A similar argument could be made for the Dutch war of independence. Or, as it's known locally to the Dutch: The 80 year war.

Never seen it last 80 odd years in any of my eu4 play throughs ;)

It shouldn't last so long in the game at all. Hundred Years War was not a single war, but three wars in span of 116 years (though each lasted a few decades, which is certainly a lot).

• 8Like
Reactions:
The only reason it lasted 100 years is because no one was able to end it properly. For example, there was a time when france almost lost, most nobles accepted english king as a ruler, but he suddenly died and left his newborn son to rule both kingdoms. Obviously it didnt end well.

So I dont really understand why it HAS to last so long. If player is able to do things better than historical persons, he should be able to just win. Because its reasonable.

Taking over land and territory due to the control system being implemented
Alson control doesnt matter. If personal unions are a thing, france most likely will be one after war, and will control itself like a vassal.

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I feel like as long as the control and estates mechanics make it hard enough to conquer huge chunks of land without stopping and worrying about your country falling apart, the conflict will feel close enough to the original.

Everything beyond that would feel a bit forced, because most of the actors are different people (outside the starting rulers) with different life spans.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It shouldn't last so long in the game at all. Hundred Years War was not a single war, but three wars in span of 116 years (though each lasted a few decades, which is certainly a lot).

i dont think anyone is saying that a single in game war should last a 100 years. But have mechanics to ensure that the conflict spams for more than 10-20 years which is what it usually lasts in eu4. With truces and new wars.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I feel like as long as the control and estates mechanics make it hard enough to conquer huge chunks of land without stopping and worrying about your country falling apart, the conflict will feel close enough to the original.

Everything beyond that would feel a bit forced, because most of the actors are different people (outside the starting rulers) with different life spans.

I suppose England in order to get out anything of France will need to have vassals instead of direct control which is quite realistic. France at the same time will struggle as most of the country will have very low control, hopefully making england and France more equal in power so you can get closer to reality where the war dragged on for a 100 years with France sometimes having the upper hand and others England.

That is if the AI is capable of shipping troops to France that is...

The only reason it lasted 100 years is because no one was able to end it properly. For example, there was a time when france almost lost, most nobles accepted english king as a ruler, but he suddenly died and left his newborn son to rule both kingdoms. Obviously it didnt end well.

So I dont really understand why it HAS to last so long. If player is able to do things better than historical persons, he should be able to just win. Because its reasonable.

Also control doesn't matter. If personal unions are a thing, France most likely will be one after war, and will control itself like a vassal.

It's important to point out that while being King of both Kingdoms was the stated goal for the English monarchs, in practice they used this as a casus belli for war and many of the negotiated peace resulted in taking French lands. It would have been quite a lot in this time period for an English monarch to take over France in one war and hold it without significant injury they knew this. In the early period it was meant more as an impressive bargaining chip in return for the French renouncing territorial claims, many of which had been in English hands dating back to the days of William the Conqueror. So they already had claim to those lands anyway and could be quite justified.

Ruling France like it's one big vassal just isn't plausible in my opinion. France is just too big. Moreover, they have claims on lands that England believes is theirs anyway. It needs to be carved up first. You shouldn't be able to do this in a single war. It needs to be generational to make sense, both from the time period and to make it fun in-game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Much like the real Hundred Years War, it's probably not going to be one single long war but rather a series of conflicts with truces between them.

Reactions:
ruling France like it's one big vassal just isn't plausible in my opinion. France is just too big. Moreover, they have claims on lands that England believes is theirs anyway. It needs to be carved up first.
So Hungary wasnt big when austrian monarch got their throne? And Burgundy? They was pu's nonetheless.
The land thing can just give increased liberty desire, if the played doesnt want to reduce france's size.
it's important to point out that while being King of both Kingdoms was the stated goal for the English monarchs, in practice they used this as a casus belli for war and many of the negotiated peace resulted in taking French lands.
The main reason is that England was never able to "stack enough warscore" during war.
The second reason is that Englad had SEVERE money and manpower problems, so they couldnt fight those wars for long.

For example, there was a time when England captured French king, but didnt control Paris.
It was possible to trade the king for land, but it was unreasonable to demand a country when its not even occupied.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The english king would become the king of france and the english become a vassal.. which will then be conquered by wales making the brythonic empire of dragon island as the englsih kniggets are too depressed from being some french kings vassal to be able to fight and just surrender. That would be fun?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I really hope that this solution isnt based on HOI4 Spanish civil war, where you just get -90% to everything until the time passes.

Can you elaborate? never played HoI4.

If its just a . massive malus depending on time its not very fun. The goal is to "soft force" both countries to actually engage in the war.

As in England loses massive amounts of prestige if they dont fight as well as a lot of lucrative access to trade in europe if they just give up and refuse to fight it.