• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can't start as them. You'd have to either start as England and release them as a vassal or start as someone else, fight England, win, and force them to release Northumbria. That way Northumbria wouldn't start as a vassal, but it would be harder.

In either case, once Northumbria is released you can reload as them.

You can't start as them. You'd have to either start as England and release them as a vassal or start as someone else, fight England, win, and force them to release Northumbria. That way Northumbria wouldn't start as a vassal, but it would be harder.

In either case, once Northumbria is released you can reload as them.
You may cancel the vassalization after release as England, though. The AI would get a month or so to spend money and agents, but it would make an easier start than under vassalage.

If English Minors are your thing, York and Lancaster exist in the game too. They can revolt away from English provinces owned by a non-english country. This most frequently happens when Scotland forms Great Britain then gets overrun by rebels.

That's not as easy to set up, though.

You may cancel the vassalization after release as England, though. The AI would get a month or so to spend money and agents, but it would make an easier start than under vassalage.

Yeah, that's true. I forgot about that.

or you could do some simple modifications yourself. Find the id of whatever province you want it to have and i believe it will say something like {province_id 1021 =ENG} (i really am to lazy to check but it will be something similar) and change 'ENG' to 'NOL' for Northumbria.

or you could do some simple modifications yourself. Find the id of whatever province you want it to have and i believe it will say something like {province_id 1021 =ENG} (i really am to lazy to check but it will be something similar) and change 'ENG' to 'NOL' for Northumbria.
How do you do that? It sounds surprisingly easy.

At later date they are availiable, during the war of roses scenario i think.

Not that I could find. The province history of Northumberland (didn't check others though) gives the historical changes=later game starts as
English: 1399-1707
Occupied by Scotland: December 1610 and 1644-1646

It does have some pretty nasty revolt risks during several time periods - at worst a +8 modifier!