How to Make Espionage and Operations More Fun and Strategic

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

goldennick94

Second Lieutenant
66 Badges
Feb 11, 2017
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
I am a huge fan of intelligence mechanics in strategy games and I think that intelligence or knowledge of your opponents is a central pillar of strategic gameplay. I also think subversive actions can be really useful as a comeback mechanic for players that are disadvantaged in terms of size and resources to other players. Unfortunately, in Stellaris, I think the current system is woefully underutilized and ineffective for the amount of resources needed to complete an operation. These are precious energy credits, influence and an envoy that could be used for anything else. To put it simply, it doesn’t feel very rewarding, fun, or even strategic to actively use the operation mechanics. Most of the operations feel at best a minor nuisance to other empires. While I understand a concern was preventing the system from being too powerful for empires to harass other players, I think the switch to influence as well as the envoy requirement puts a major cap on how many and often these operations can be initiated and requires deliberation on making that choice. I will go through each of the operations and state ways they could be improved.

Gather Information: Gather information provides too little information and the results are too random to be an effective information gathering tool. My suggestion is that once you have completed the Gather Information operation, it unlocks multiple intelligence gathering operations that are more focused towards particular areas of interest. Lore-wise, this can be justified by gathering a basic general understanding of an empire and then knowing where to go afterwards to get specific types of information. An outline would look something like this:

Gather Information (unlocks on completion):

• Intelligence Report – Military
  • Intelligence Report – Economy
  • Intelligence Report – Technology
  • Intelligence Report – Government
  • Intelligence Report – Diplomacy
The rewards of each intelligence report is a breakdown of that particular subject. The detail and specificity of the report is based on a random roll that is weighted based on your codebreaking vs their encryption, relevant assets and current intel level. These reports give you the information of an entire empire without having to guess from manually clicking planets and fleets, etc. For example, using the technology report as an example:

Great Success (16-20): Provides the number of technologies in each branch (e.g 8 Eng [3 Voidcraft, 2 Propulsion, 2 Materials, 1 Industry], 5 Soc [1 Biology, 1 Military Theory, 1 New Worlds, 2 Statecraft], 12 Phys[3 Computing, 4 Field Mani., 5 Particles]), current research, research resources per month (e.g +10 Eng, +5 Soc, +32 Phys after modifiers), and how many techs in each branch that your current empire does not have researched (1 Eng, 0 Soc, 4 Phys: Basically more specific than the Research Pact tooltip) and gives intel towards Technology

Success (10-15): Provides general number of techs in each branch (8 Eng, 5 Soc, 12 Phys), base research resources per month (+8 Eng, +4 Soc, +20 Phys before modifers), and how many techs that your current empire does not have researched (5 techs) and gives intel towards Technology

Slight Success (5-9): Provides number of techs researched (25 techs) and gives intel towards Technology.

Failure (0-4): Small amount of intel towards Technology.

--------------------
I will expand on the additional intelligence reports in a reply post to avoid bloating this section.

Spark Diplomatic Incident: Allow us to select which empire to target using a similar UI to the “Sabotage Starbase”. If the empire is friends with a lot of empires, then having it random would be too ineffective to accomplish anything. Allowing targets would allow players to have more control in sparking conflict between two empires.

Prepare Sleeper Cells: Honestly, it’s probably fine as is. It allows you to reposition the envoy for somewhere else without immediately suffering the loss of infiltration.

Acquire asset: Fine as is. Assets will become more valuable as operations become more useful and more varied in categories. In addition, new operations added in the future will increase their importance. I think being able to pick specific assets that you want on first try would be too powerful, so keeping it random helps keep it from being too overpowered in combination with other operations.

Extort favors: Also, probably fine as is. Straightforward and does what it’s intended to do.

Smear campaign: Like “Spark Diplomatic Incident”, allow us to select which empire to target if they are not part of a federation. Alternatively, it might also make more sense to have it negatively affect their diplomatic weight in the galactic community to help differentiate it from “Spark Diplomatic Incident”.

Steal Technology: Absolutely fine as is. Definitely one of the most powerful operations and the only one I think is worth using at all.

Sabotage Starbase: Way too weak, almost pointless. It might end up being cheaper for the enemy empire to rebuild the module that got destroyed than the Influence you put into destroying it in the first place. And alloys are easier to get than influence. Allow the opportunity to scuttle the entire starbase and their ownership on a system. That way if you really want that system, you could try to race to build a starbase and “steal the system” without spending a claim on it. The success of a scuttle should increase the closer the starbase is to your borders as well as having the relevant asset. This also allows a mechanic to take back systems that other empires took that you believe rightfully belong to you but you don’t want the animosity with a claim. However, I think all sabotage and provocation operations should grant a casus belli if you’re caught. Sabotage casus belli can only be initiated by the victim, where a provocation grants a casus belli from any empire that has the proper war policies. Likewise, if you’re caught, the victim empire should be allowed to denounce your empire which would negatively impact opinion from other empires based on how friendly they are to the victim empire. [This could lead to interesting situations like the rest of the galaxy turning a blind eye to your dirty tactics if said tactics are being employed on a genocidal empire, for example.]

Arm Privateers: This is so weak, I actually don’t even know if it’s working or where the privateers are if I complete this operation. Needs a major buff to be more powerful. This should be considered an actual threat. Again, make it so if you’re caught, there are major repercussions from the galactic community.

Crisis Beacon: I assume it’s powerful, but it’s hard to tell if it’s working sometimes. Once again, if you’re caught make it so there are major repercussions.

Imperium operations: The actual operations themselves are probably fine but the categories they are under don’t really make any sense. Subterfuge is more intelligence gathering based on previous operations and the Technology is very tangentially related. It artificially bloats the value of Subterfuge and Technology assets, as well.

Weaken Imperial Authority: Should be a Manipulation, Government operation.

Target Seditionists: Manipulation and Diplomacy instead.

Spark Rebellion: Provocation and Military instead.

Consume Star: This is cool. I like this one. If you’re caught, the victim empire should be allowed a casus belli as mentioned above.

In addition, I think a cool Provocation operation to add would be something to basically kickstart a robot rebellion if you have Synthetic Dawn. It would fail on empires that don’t meet the requirements for a robot rebellion to occur, but otherwise it allows you to speed things up a bit on a robot enslaving empire you don’t like.

In addition, more varied sabotage operations can be inspired by the asset positions and jobs. (e.g. A laborer causes a worker rebellion at a production facility on a planet and destroys it) for future new operations.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is a continuation on the Intelligence Reports idea above:

Intelligence Report – Military:

Great Success (16-20): Number of fleets and fleet power (3 fleets, 1.1k power, 9.3k power, 20k power), number of ships per ship size total (10 Corvettes, 3 Destroyers, 1 Cruiser, 11 Battleships, 1 Titan, 1 Juggernaut), fleet capacity (90/110) and post Orion-patch it would be neat if you knew how many of each role type there were (e.g. 4 Artillery, 3 Brawler, 1 Carrier, 8 Gunship, 1 Screen, 1 Torpedo), Number of starbases (5), number of gateways (3) and Military intel.

Success (10-15): Number of fleets (3 fleets), fleet capacity usage (90/110), number of ships (10 Corvettes, 3 Destroyers, 1 Cruiser, 11 Battleships, 1 Titan, 1 Juggernaut), Number of starbases (5), number of gateways (3) and Military intel.

Slight Success (5-9): Number of fleets (3 fleets), fleet capacity usage (90/110), Number of starbases (5) and Military intel.

Failure (0-4): A little bit of Military intel.

Intelligence Report – Economy:

Great Success (16-20): Resource per month and stockpiles of tradable resources (110 energy [+23/month], 20 minerals [-4/month], 35 food [+2/month], and advanced resources such as volatile motes, exotic gasses, rare crystals, dark matter, zro, nanites as well as total trade value) and Economy intel.

Success (10-15): Stockpiles of tradable resources as well as total trade value (110 energy, 20 minerals, 35 mood, etc.) and economy intel.

Slight success (4-9): Total trade value and economy intel.

Failure (0-4): A little bit of economy intel.

Intelligence Report – Government

Great Success (16-20): Total number of pops and each species (150 pops: 100 Humans, 50 Blorg), number of relics (3 relics), empire size (330), planet designations and sectors (4 sectors, 1 Capital, 1 Forge World, 1 Tech World, 1 Resort World) and some government intel.

Success (10-15): Total number of pops (150 pops), empire size (33), planet designations and sectors (4 sectors, 1 cap, etc) and some government intel.

Slight Success (4-9): Empire size (33), planet designations (1 cap, 1 forge, 1 tech, 1 resort), and some government intel.

Failure (0-4): A little bit of government intel.

Intelligence Report – Diplomacy
Because most of the general diplomatic information is pretty easily available, this report should have a target much like the “Sabotage Starbase” operation, that lets you pick an empire that you would like to see specific relations with in regards to this empire.

Great Success (16-20): Envoys and locations (3: 2 improving relations, 1 in galactic community), number of vassals and types(1 prospectorium, 1 vassal, etc.), federation level and cohesion (if they have one), opinion towards/against target empire (Positive: +356 towards target, +560 from target) and increased diplomatic intel.

Success (10-15): Envoys (3), number of vassals (2), federation level (2), general opinion towards target empire (Positive) and increased diplomatic intel.

Slight Success: (5-9): Envoys (3), general opinion towards target empire (Positive) and increased diplomatic intel.

Failure: (0-4): A little bit of diplomatic intel.

I think a counter-intelligence report would also be cool, here’s an example of what it would look like:

(Because counter-intelligence requires getting information that’s supposed to be hard to get, the weights are adjusted as a result. In addition, getting caught would cause some particularly fun scenarios because your enemies spies know what your spies know about their spies.) Also, serves as a useful method to break high encryption empires by steadily increasing your codebreaking agaisnt them with the risk of getting caught.

Intelligence Report – Counter-intelligence

Great Success (19-20): Number of spy networks, active operations being committed on all empires, envoys as spymasters and locations (2: Commonwealth of Man, United Nations of Earth) and additional encryption/codebreaking against that empire. Low potential to get caught (dependent on their codebreaking)

Success: (15-18): Active operations being committed on your empire. Envoys as spymasters (2), additional codebreaking. Low potential to get caught.

Slight Success (7-14): Whether or not an operation is being committed on your empire (True/False, no specifics), additional codebreaking. Potential to get caught.

Failure (0-7): Automatically you get caught attempting to do counter-intelligence operations on them. Opinion reduction.

I like these ideas. In general, I think a lot of these can utilize the new situations system to make them more interactive.

Decreasing their diplo weight from smear campaign seems promising.

Also like selecting targets for spark diplomatic incident. I do wish that had more impact so you could actually start a war between two empires, or break a federation apart. I've run that so many times but never actually had anything come of it. Or even if it could be a galaxy wide loss of opinion to help denounce them in the community.

Gathering Military Intel is going to be more important with the combat rework, since you will actually need to know something about their fleets. (Hopefully the AIs have different fleet designs based on their empire or something, otherwise you just have to learn this once and counter it in single player).

Excited to have more options like the consume star one.

Reactions:
Maybe with consume star, you could also choose which system to target, instead of being forced to do it on their capital?

One way to allow strong sabotage operations would be for them to cause not-stacking empire-wide modifiers. For example, we could have:

1) Sabotage supply lines: (4 years)
-Small sucess: -10% naval capacity
-Moderate sucess: -20% naval capacity
-Great sucess: -30% naval capacity

*Modifiers do not stack between themselves either. If a greater or equal modifier appears, it replaces the previous one (thus equal ones refresh duration). If a smaller modifier would appear, the operation fails instead.
(Do take into account that late game warmonger empires will have between 150% and 200% naval capacity, so it isn't as powerful as it seems)

This operation does not destroy ships or fleets, but rather increase the maintenance costs of fleets. This "damage" is slow enough for the target empire to create countermeasures.

2) Disrupt unity (8 years)
-Small sucess: +8% empire sprawl impact
-Medium sucess: +16% empire sprawl impact
-Great sucess: +24% empire sprawl impact

This would be a very high difficulty operation, because there is no easy counterplay (thus the main way of preventing it would be to not fall behind in counterintelligence techs). Greater empire sprawl penalty would only reduce tradition/tech acquisition speed, but may make an empire fall behind i the long term.

Reactions:
Isn't being able to target particular domains (military, economy, etc) a function of intelligence assets? To be honest, rather than creating universal targeting abilities for all operations, I would tie further targeting functions into assets, to create a limited landscape of specific espionage and sabotage moves.