• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TBH, in commie times, food was also pretty industrialised.
If only available...

Quality of food in USSR was very very high. There were strong typical regulations (GOST) how food must be produced. Scientists did such regulations thinking about health of nation. Manufacturers did not has any reasons to add chemical additives.

Regarding available.
Personally my imression that situation was worse and worse after Gorbachev's "Perestroyka".

But what *is* the secret to supermarkets?

Misery of retail workers mainly.

TBH, in commie times, food was also pretty industrialised.
If only available...

Oh, it depends.
In Soviet Union it was often a matter of bad quality/spoiled products entering market. But it used largely natural products for manufacturing.

In 90s-00ss factories switched to worse raw materials, cheapened and objectively got worse. Only in late 00s/10s food quality rised because they now must compete with more edible food. But even today I wouldn't generally trust any industrially-made cheese in Ukraine, it's awful.

Quality of food in USSR was very very high. There were strong typical regulations (GOST) how food must be produced. Scientists did such regulations thinking about health of nation. Manufacturers did not has any reasons to add chemical additives.

Regarding available.
Personally my imression that situation was worse and worse after Gorbachev's "Perestroyka".

It wasn't always good even if quality was applied. But again that's factory per factory case. I can say that milk industry was hit worst.

As for availability - it was always a problem of logistics,both for production and distribution. It was awful. And in Perestroika the awful combo of planned economy, poor logistics and lack of imports to cover worsened production& distribution finished it.

It wasn't always good even if quality was applied. But again that's factory per factory case. I can say that milk industry was hit worst.

It is only personall imression.

In summer vacation in village I had milk from grandfather's cow.
There was cow farm and pasteurization production of it in countryside around Moscow we lived . So all youth I remember there was not problem with fresh milk. Director of this production lived around so she often gave us (local children) different milk production (curds).

I always thought that Ukraine is place where there were not problems with good milk and meat. Plus, village markets with own natural products?

Kefir.....

Last edited:
I always thought that Ukraine is place where there were not problems with good milk and meat. Plus, village markets with own natural products?

In Soviet times most of Ukraine was in best supply priority. Mainly because of a million soldiers stationed here + border regions being always supplied better to keep loyalty of locals.

Regarding milk and meat - it took a major hit in 90s, especially the milk industry. Ukrainian meat industry isn't that good, maybe chicken one is good, and rest is still not developed too well. The only major upside today is that none of it relies on heavy government support or bans on foreign products, so it's competitive and required.

Cheese, however, mostly sucks. But maybe it's me being picky... after all I consider Polish cheese just as awful :(

And of course, local farms and enterprises make a lot of their own and sell at the village markets and such, supply wasn't and isn't the problem. In fact, I like tvorog and cheese from them as well.

Aldi Nord goes by Aldi, that is about four blocks from my house. The meat is awful, but the dairy is cheap and good.

Aldi Sud goes by the name 'Trader Joe' in America, I have two about a mile in either direction from my house. Great snacks, cheap wine.

Houston is FIERCE competition in food, and we are the prime recipients of that competition.

THIS is how my wife gets drunk in America - cheap wine in large quantities!
It's the other way around. Trader Joe 'is' Aldi Nord, while Aldi is Aldi Süd. Not it will matter much longer anyway as apparently they are planning to become one again.

Reactions:

:oops:

Well, alcohol in USSR...

First of all, you should understand how distribution is organized in large-scale planned economies in normal circumstances. Special state department (it was called Gosplan, "The State Planning Committee") research a need for all kind of goods in the area. Including alcohol, sure (well, we had our own Prohibition era, so-called "Anti-Alchohol Campaign", 1985-1987, not exactly too effective). Then an order is formed and dropped for the industry. Industry make production under this plan, then products are moved into stores and sold for the money.
For alchohol you have stores with so-called "wine-vodka departments" (винно-водочный отдел) in stores, so you could just buy it and drink at home or with neighbours (drinking in common space like parks was a small misdemeanor, which was quite often overlooked, and even if not, you could drink in back streets and other places; running from police included into experience!), and you had a number of types of restoraunts and caffees, from actual restoraunt where you could order a bottle of vine or vodka, to specialized drinking places, beer halls was the most prominent type, but not the only one.

Theoretically, the system was supposed to be scientific, rational and plan should include an actual population's need for the type of good. In practice, though, system wasn't working ideally, economists from Gosplan were prone to mistakes (being, well, humans, after all), and people are humans beings as well, so a lot of speculative practices existed (and all of this, by the way, is a reason you can get very different answers about personal experience from soviet persons). In the end, it created a situation of permanent deficit - where goods are produced, and in surplus, but it wasn't always easy to get them. Number of examples of the problems and solutions:
1. There was a hierarchy of supply for different population centers. Essentially, higher in administrative chain - better supply (understandable, right?). Like, capital get its share first, then cities nearby, then big cities in province, then smaller cities in provinces, and so on. Better visibility for government -> better supply. Which meant that in Moscow, for example, you could always find a place to buy something, but in Kaluga (160 km)... well, not necessary. That's why joke existed: "What is it - long, green and smell like a sausage? That's a train Moscow-Kaluga." - as people tended to run into bigger cities to check if they can buy things there.
2. A system of deficit created a speculation: when one person buying quite a lot of the good, and then resell it. For example, common subbusiness for taxi drivers was to sell vodka in the night, when stores are closed. Technically, it was a crime, but usually such a people wasn't caught (even if everybody knew that you can just stop a taxi and buy a bottle from driver). That created a practice of, quite from the ground, limitation of selling a kind of good to one buyer - like, "you can't buy more then one bottle per attempt", store clerk wouldn't just sell you. You could try to fight and call oversight, but people was quite understanding (because tomorrow it can be you who is lacking a bottle of vine - or, for example, a bottle of milk for your child).
3. Another kind of speculation was for traders. Imagine you get 100 bottles of vine, and you're living in hamlet where one thousand people live, so you'll get 200 buyers. Quite naturally, you'll reserve some bottles for your friends or important people. This practice was called "to sell things from below the counter", and was damned everywhere. In the end it created a system of interconnected favour networks: store clerk in vine department of the store would reserve a bottle of the vine for a director of the restoraunt, who would reserve a ticket for the clerk, and so on. It wasn't a barter system in common understanding, more like "things are reserved for the friends".
4. And another form of speculation was just that, speculation - when you couldn't buy a bottle for nominal, state-declared price ("vodka was bought off"), but you were ready to overpay some, magically vodka was found in storehouse.
5. Of course, a great number of consumer fraud existed, like underweighting.
6. Also, there was home-made alcohol, when locals just knew who exactly make liquors.
7. And, in the end, practice of drinking spirit-based not-for-drinking stuff existed, like perfume, but it was a kind of marginal thing.

You should also keep in mind that, usually, it wasn't a different types of, let's say, vine in the store. You were buying vine; my father used to joke that the most profound insult from capitalist stores (he was a journalist and had access to foreign travel) was that, when you came in and ask for the beer, clerk is answering "which one?".

All of this also created a system of "special distribution". Some categories of people (state administrators, for instance) just had access to special "stores", where they could get a number of goods (including pricey food or alcohol). "Stores" in inverted commas, as you wouldn't actually pay there - you'll have an access to get a list of goods on limited price tag, which was marked on special tickets. Usually it was a pack (so-called "order", "заказ"), which was pre-packaged, you came in, get your ticked stamped and get a bag. Access to this distribution centers was a priviledge.

Of course, that's very rough description, but I think it's long enough.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well, alcohol in USSR...

First of all, you should understand how distribution is organized in large-scale planned economies in normal circumstances. Special state department (it was called Gosplan, "The State Planning Committee") research a need for all kind of goods in the area. Including alcohol, sure (well, we had our own Prohibition era, so-called "Anti-Alchohol Campaign", 1985-1987, not exactly too effective). Then an order is formed and dropped for the industry. Industry make production under this plan, then products are moved into stores and sold for the money.
For alchohol you have stores with so-called "wine-vodka departments" (винно-водочный отдел) in stores, so you could just buy it and drink at home or with neighbours (drinking in common space like parks was a small misdemeanor, which was quite often overlooked, and even if not, you could drink in back streets and other places; running from police included into experience!), and you had a number of types of restoraunts and caffees, from actual restoraunt where you could order a bottle of vine or vodka, to specialized drinking places, beer halls was the most prominent type, but not the only one.

Theoretically, the system was supposed to be scientific, rational and plan should include an actual population's need for the type of good. In practice, though, system wasn't working ideally, economists from Gosplan were prone to mistakes (being, well, humans, after all), and people are humans beings as well, so a lot of speculative practices existed (and all of this, by the way, is a reason you can get very different answers about personal experience from soviet persons). In the end, it created a situation of permanent deficit - where goods are produced, and in surplus, but it wasn't always easy to get them. Number of examples of the problems and solutions:
1. There was a hierarchy of supply for different population centers. Essentially, higher in administrative chain - better supply (understandable, right?). Like, capital get its share first, then cities nearby, then big cities in province, then smaller cities in provinces, and so on. Better visibility for government -> better supply. Which meant that in Moscow, for example, you could always find a place to buy something, but in Kaluga (160 km)... well, not necessary. That's why joke existed: "What is it - long, green and smell like a sausage? That's a train Moscow-Kaluga." - as people tended to run into bigger cities to check if they can buy things there.
2. A system of deficit created a speculation: when one person buying quite a lot of the good, and then resell it. For example, common subbusiness for taxi drivers was to sell vodka in the night, when stores are closed. Technically, it was a crime, but usually such a people wasn't caught (even if everybody knew that you can just stop a taxi and buy a bottle from driver). That created a practice of, quite from the ground, limitation of selling a kind of good to one buyer - like, "you can't buy more then one bottle per attempt", store clerk wouldn't just sell you. You could try to fight and call oversight, but people was quite understanding (because tomorrow it can be you who is lacking a bottle of vine - or, for example, a bottle of milk for your child).
3. Another kind of speculation was for traders. Imagine you get 100 bottles of vine, and you're living in hamlet where one thousand people live, so you'll get 200 buyers. Quite naturally, you'll reserve some bottles for your friends or important people. This practice was called "to sell things from below the counter", and was damned everywhere. In the end it created a system of interconnected favour networks: store clerk in vine department of the store would reserve a bottle of the vine for a director of the restoraunt, who would reserve a ticket for the clerk, and so on. It wasn't a barter system in common understanding, more like "things are reserved for the friends".
4. And another form of speculation was just that, speculation - when you couldn't buy a bottle for nominal, state-declared price ("vodka was bought off"), but you were ready to overpay some, magically vodka was found in storehouse.
5. Of course, a great number of consumer fraud existed, like underweighting.
6. Also, there was home-made alcohol, when locals just knew who exactly make liquors.
7. And, in the end, practice of drinking spirit-based not-for-drinking stuff existed, like perfume, but it was a kind of marginal thing.

You should also keep in mind that, usually, it wasn't a different types of, let's say, vine in the store. You were buying vine; my father used to joke that the most profound insult from capitalist stores (he was a journalist and had access to foreign travel) was that, when you came in and ask for the beer, clerk is answering "which one?".

All of this also created a system of "special distribution". Some categories of people (state administrators, for instance) just had access to special "stores", where they could get a number of goods (including pricey food or alcohol). "Stores" in inverted commas, as you wouldn't actually pay there - you'll have an access to get a list of goods on limited price tag, which was marked on special tickets. Usually it was a pack (so-called "order", "заказ"), which was pre-packaged, you came in, get your ticked stamped and get a bag. Access to this distribution centers was a priviledge.

Of course, that's very rough description, but I think it's long enough.
BUT, and here's the thing, the vodka bottles, did they have screws that you couldn't screw the top back in?

Jeeze, the more I think about that, the more stupid that urban myth is... BUT... still... I gotta know.

BUT, and here's the thing, the vodka bottles, did they have screws that you couldn't screw the top back in?

Jeeze, the more I think about that, the more stupid that urban myth is... BUT... still... I gotta know.
Bottles you mean just didn't have screws. :) They had, I don't have my English dictonary good enough, but it was kind of "ring key" bungs, the same basic idea coca-cola caps with ring has. At some point ring was removed, and it was one-time bung without actual screws.
Something like this: https://wp-uploads.storage.yandexcloud.net/uploads/2020/05/tuborg.jpg
Or this: https://www.turbosquid.com/ru/3d-models/coca-cola-glass-bottle-3d-model-1476050

Bottles you mean just didn't have screws. :) They had, I don't have my English dictonary good enough, but it was kind of "ring key" bungs, the same basic idea coca-cola caps with ring has. At some point ring was removed, and it was one-time bung without actual screws.
Something like this: https://wp-uploads.storage.yandexcloud.net/uploads/2020/05/tuborg.jpg
Or this: https://www.turbosquid.com/ru/3d-models/coca-cola-glass-bottle-3d-model-1476050
oh, so, it's just the same as a beer bottle?

there was this weird myth, and [have had some vodka already] that the soviet vodka bottles had tops which couldn't be put back in, so the drinkers had to drink the whole bottle, and like... that's just stupid. but that myth was a thing in the USA.

like... vodka doesn't go bad. and if you are scared of it going bad, there's a thing called, and I am pretty sure that this was available beyond the Iron Curtain: paper tissue, or literally ANYTHING. Jeeze.

I dunno. I guess I was stupid.

Well, first of all, vodka does go bad. Kinda. It's evaporates, as it's 40% spirit. So, it's fizzles out. I don't drink vodka, so I never tried it, but it should.
Secondly, actually, as sole drinking actually wasn't the most popular activity in USSR, and bottle of vodka was drunk with more then one person, it was kinda not unheard of drinking a bottle at once. And, of course, a body of jokes about that existed, like, "what do you mean 'close the bottle', real soviet man wouldn't let it waste!", and so on, but it was it, jokes. A normal bottle of vodka was half a liter, and traditional group to drink it was trio, so drinking a bottle at once wasn't exactly a problem.
Thridly, yes, you could even just put the bung above bottle and accurately put it into freezer, not to mention paper, or small plate, or simply just put a glass above bottleneck (prefered method).
And, after all, bottles with screws existed.