• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HighLigerBimBam

Major
109 Badges
Aug 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
Seriously i can not find a option how to change the language. For me (german) it is very bad translated. The worst fact is that the translation is partly so long that it is clipping into other interfaces and informations. For example it is impossible to determine army forcelimit.

In the starting screen button where you can see dlc`s and mod`s the button is called "Zufrieden" which means statisfied, happy or pleased... What the hell does paradox want to tell me?

Other than that, well you guys know the game is great...

Last edited:
(My documents)\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\settings.txt
Second line is language. Sorry if it's too late.

I also had that issue, but this changes not all the language texts. Provinces are still in the old language and i can't find an option, where to change it. Looks weird, when i want to play the game in english, but the province names are "Goldküste" and stuff like that. Maybe there is another option, which has to be changed?

In the starting screen button where you can see dlc`s and mod`s the button is called "Zufrieden" which means statisfied, happy or pleased... What the hell does paradox want to tell me?
Buy your downloadable content now! Just $2.99 for one day of contentment! With our new limited time offer you can be content for a whole year for just $500, saving over 50%!
Terms and conditions apply. Amount of happiness actually downloaded may vary.

Seriously i can not find a option how to change the language. For me (german) it is very bad translated. The worst fact is that the translation is partly so long that it is clipping into other interfaces and informations. For example it is impossible to determine army forcelimit.

Other than that, well you guys know the game is great...
FWIW, Zufrieden was the translation given for "content" which in English can mean happy, pleased etc or the things inside a given category. In this case the first meaning was used for the translation, the second was what it meant.

I had the same problem as you (not happy with the french traduction).

Just edited the settings.txt second line to language="l_english" and everything is in english now.

If that doesnt work (why ?], you could remove this file (or the whole game) and let steam check files or reinstall.

I agree that an ingame option for language would be way better, not everyone is tech savvy.

FWIW, Zufrieden was the translation given for "content" which in English can mean happy, pleased etc or the things inside a given category. In this case the first meaning was used for the translation, the second was what it meant.

I had the same problem as you (not happy with the french traduction).

Just edited the settings.txt second line to language="l_english" and everything is in english now.

If that doesnt work (why ?], you could remove this file (or the whole game) and let steam check files or reinstall.

I agree that an ingame option for language would be way better, not everyone is tech savvy.

I used to work at a small software shop as my first job. I saw many similar mistakes in translations, because they didn't hire proper translators but tried to do it themselves.

Most tech people have no idea how difficult proper translating is.

Shame on Paradox for making such mistakes.

I also agree it should be a setting in the UI.

Wow, that is terrible translation. Guess switching languages for a bit of extra practice is out.

Telling Steam to reinstall doesn't really reinstall the game at all. Actually delete all the files yourself and reinstall and you will be asked to pick a language on start-up, like the first time round.

And I'm sure editing settings.txt as described above works too.