How to avoid having Italy annexing everything

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Diakonen

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Aug 10, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
Playing Germany, If I manage to do a seelion and end the war early and if Italy is in the war, then the peace conferance gets really messy with Italy trying to gobble up everything, without having contributed with anything except massive losses in the alps.

Pre AAT I usually had them in the faction, but never called anyone into the war. Problem solved. But now, when Norway get the Quisling civil war, then Norway calls Italy into the war, and they start dying.

I want Italy in the faction to divert some allied troops to the borders in Africa, but never actually fight.

Any solution to this?

• 1Like
Reactions:
don't call them into the faction, keep rejecting.

What he said. There is no need for allies/puppets if you go for early ahistorical wars.

Im trying to go historical up to the fall of france, going weiserubung before around maginot etc. And as I mentioned, I want UK to have alot of troops in Africa on the italian borders so I dont have to deal with them in France or England.

I would be ok if Italy just took some stuff in Africa, but they annex Canada, Australia and so on...

But if the only way to go is to keep Italy out of the axis completley, then I guess I have to do that..

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, they get score from killed planes/ships and fighting done in Africa. The UK AI with it's minion zerg likes to gangbang Italy in East Africa so a lot of fighting actually takes place. There is no way how to prevent that, other than not having them in your faction.

Africa is low value when it comes to warscore, so they will always have extra points to spent elsewhere.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Alternatively you can kick them from Axis after the Allies are done and overrun them so you can occupy or repuppet everything they took in the conference. It's very easy especially if you actually prepare for this.

Reactions:
Im trying to go historical up to the fall of france, going weiserubung before around maginot etc. And as I mentioned, I want UK to have alot of troops in Africa on the italian borders so I dont have to deal with them in France or England.
I would be ok if Italy just took some stuff in Africa, but they annex Canada, Australia and so on...
But if the only way to go is to keep Italy out of the axis completley, then I guess I have to do that..
Blitz France. invite italy only after fall of paris(and its historical).
Use 12km/h light tanks to overrun benelux + france, it should fall in 10~20 days.

Warscore was balanced by the devs, if you do encirclements eliminating enemy troops you should have 10x more warscore than suicide grind countries.

Im trying to go historical up to the fall of france, going weiserubung before around maginot etc.
Run Weserübung but delay declaring on Norway so that Quisling can't call Mussolini to the peace conference.

Historically Germany was still fooling around in Norway when the French army collapsed, so delaying Norway is probably as close as you can get to historical results with the current build.

Reactions:
Playing Germany, If I manage to do a seelion and end the war early and if Italy is in the war, then the peace conferance gets really messy with Italy trying to gobble up everything, without having contributed with anything except massive losses in the alps.

Pre AAT I usually had them in the faction, but never called anyone into the war. Problem solved. But now, when Norway get the Quisling civil war, then Norway calls Italy into the war, and they start dying.

I want Italy in the faction to divert some allied troops to the borders in Africa, but never actually fight.

Any solution to this?
I called Italy to war little before I did Sealion. I wanted Italy to draw as big part of the Royal Navy as possible to the Mediterranean so that it does not disturb Sealion. In peace conference I let Italy to take some colonies in Africa.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I give them Afrika, keep all the good stuff for myself (GER) and try to avoid calling them into the war until I need to distract the UK by sending most of their army and navy to the Med.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Let Italy fail to the point where Mussolini gets overthrown and the civil war starts. Then win the war and force a peace conference. Let Italy pay warscore to get Italian cores back.

Or just puppet Regno del Sud. :D

1699903518661.jpeg

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I called Italy to war little before I did Sealion. I wanted Italy to draw as big part of the Royal Navy as possible to the Mediterranean so that it does not disturb Sealion. In peace conference I let Italy to take some colonies in Africa.

This sounds like the best way to go. Not to gamey, still quite realistic, and hopefully Italy wont get enough warscore to annex canada :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't you get a choice as Germany whether you want Quisling's coup to happen or not?

Don't you get a choice as Germany whether you want Quisling's coup to happen or not?

Yes. But be warned: I have rejected Quisling, seized Oslo, and then the coup happened anyway with my troops now cut off from supply and stuck on neutral soil with no military access because Quisling flipped Oslo to his side. Oh, and it would take 25 days to justify on him to take Oslo back.

You can easily capitulate the Allies in 1939 on historical without any early wars and without ever allying anyone. Just go west after Poland in 1939 and you can Sealion straight after the Fall of France. I did so a few days ago and capitulated the UK in 1939. I started the war on 1 September 1939 as per history.

I bothered to do the peace deal where I annexed Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg (oh and Abyssinia, which admittedly was a bit of a cheap move, seeing how Italy had occupied it since 1936) and took a few French states along the line that was historically planned to be annexed to Germany (Zone of German Settlement), took the Allies' directly owned colonies as well as South West Africa from South Africa because it's a former German colony, as well as all their navies. Everything else I puppeted and demanded war reparations and resource rights from all their states (as a side-note, annoying how you can't return land to Vichy France in the peace deal, since using the "Return Territory" feature normally would also return the Zone of German Settlement - would be nice to have this feature on a state-level). I had also partitioned Czechoslovakia historically which meant I had Slovakia as a puppet, though I didn't have to give them anything.

I then declared war on Denmark, which Sweden for some reason defended, so I capitulated Sweden as well. I was going to annex Norway next and then go east into Russia, who by the way hadn't annexed the Baltic States yet, but ended up quitting because the game's disappointingly easy against the AI. This was in vanilla, but in my experience the Expert AI mod does not make the game any harder, or more realistic (which is what I'm really after, and not magic bonuses that make a country produce tanks 50% faster, or the like, which is what higher difficulty settings do). Actually I've found it makes it easier, probably because the AI fields fewer divisions in the mod, which translates to less of an ORG wall to punch through.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Yes. But be warned: I have rejected Quisling, seized Oslo, and then the coup happened anyway with my troops now cut off from supply and stuck on neutral soil with no military access because Quisling flipped Oslo to his side. Oh, and it would take 25 days to justify on him to take Oslo back.
Fascist Norway truly is the sick man of AAT, isn't it :/

• 1Like
Reactions: