How many lumber yards can be serviced by a forester?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Solution
In my experience, a full staffed forester can just about keep up with a Lumber yard for fire wood when planting in fertile soil areas. Standard or barren soil they seem to have no chance.

My personal "ratio" is 2:1
I run 2 Foresters for every 1 Wood resource building (firewood and planks) the Sawmill absolutely destroys forests when fully staffed so having 4 guys planting trees in 2 separate foresters can just keep up with it.
Never have firewood and planks collected from overlapping work areas, it will decimate the forest area and will both run out very quickly.

Handy side note, you can use the forester to boost your trapper efficiency up to 100% if your struggle to do so, get it to plant trees in your trappers work area and you'll...
Think you got it backwards.

There is actually no real consistent rate, especially factoring in travel times and soil quality and whatnot. My advice is, get a forester to plant seeds somewhere near the colony (preferably in a green efficiency zone) and let it run for a gooooooood long while, while harvesting any and all wood in or near the Colony. Late in the game, locate a spot where you will ultimately plant and harvest trees - a process that takes time for good and obvious reasons. With good pathing, I figure a couple fully staffed foresters can work with a sawmill and a lumber yard.

Just remember you can relocate and resize most work areas, including the lumber-related buildings. You can also (whats the word) districtize(?) the buildings, as in dedicate a specific part of the colony to producing related goods. But that's a mid-to-late game tactic best used when you have the resources to move (read: destroy and rebuild elsewhere) buildings, more so if you build your colony in a compact fashion like me.

Reactions:
In my experience, a full staffed forester can just about keep up with a Lumber yard for fire wood when planting in fertile soil areas. Standard or barren soil they seem to have no chance.

My personal "ratio" is 2:1
I run 2 Foresters for every 1 Wood resource building (firewood and planks) the Sawmill absolutely destroys forests when fully staffed so having 4 guys planting trees in 2 separate foresters can just keep up with it.
Never have firewood and planks collected from overlapping work areas, it will decimate the forest area and will both run out very quickly.

Handy side note, you can use the forester to boost your trapper efficiency up to 100% if your struggle to do so, get it to plant trees in your trappers work area and you'll catch more food (venison) and get more skins (fibre) as a result.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Solution