How is my culture being converted?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xxein2

Recruit
Nov 20, 2022
How are my provinces being converted here? I havent changed my culture at all, I own all these province. I am playing as Visigoth and it keeps happening over and over to my main holding provinces. I understand when my kings create a hybrid culture and then change there own lands, but this shouldnt be happening to mine unless I do it. anyone know any non obvious reason for this? Main thing I keep doing even thought it doesnt work is to convert the culture / relgion of the province dutchy that I take, then install a religion / culture duke that is exactly like mine, and within 20 years they always hybrid it out. its kinda annoying since these hybrid cultures just keep falling farther and farther behind mine so I cant even build them up to stay ahead of the power curve.

Attachments

• cultureguess.jpg
    cultureguess.jpg
    69,4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
I think when anyone creates a hybrid culture it flips provinces within the same realm, up to a maximum number of provinces based on the size of the two cultures being hybridized?

So even if your vassal or your liege, or even another vassal under your liege creates the culture, it can still flip your lands too?

• 3Like
Reactions:
First time I've ever heard that barons could create hybrid cultures... they aren't allowed to do a whole lot of much, so I'm not sure why the game is allowing them to do something this significant. I would bug report this.

I’ve had territories in my realm suddenly flip culture when a neighbor hybridized my culture and theirs. Granted I can’t remember if mods were active in that game, but it is possible.

First time I've ever heard that barons could create hybrid cultures... they aren't allowed to do a whole lot of much, so I'm not sure why the game is allowing them to do something this significant. I would bug report this.

Barons effectively can't do anything (they don't even choose lifestyles like landless) but I think the way this happened is that is was a holy order holding a barony, thus they are technically a duke (mercenaries/holy orders are ducal tier titles).

I saw that happen in my game once too, it was a pretty niche situation since it was norse jomsvikings creating a hybrid with anglo-saxons. Norse culture made the bar really low for them to do that. It's usually hard for a holy order to get enough prestige and cultural acceptance.

Reactions:
I’ve had territories in my realm suddenly flip culture when a neighbor hybridized my culture and theirs. Granted I can’t remember if mods were active in that game, but it is possible.
Playing around with console to force a certain culture to appear I can tell you this:
Special divergents&merges like Rhinelander will flipp other countries that should have this.

I noticed this when I created Rhinelander in Maastricht with a count and the archbishopric of cologne flipped (shortly after, the archbishop flipped as well!)
So there could be something about apropriate cultures in the code.
Never saw that with custom hybrids though.