• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CdragonM

Recruit
Mar 23, 2024
I9-9900k
EVGA 2070 Super
Installed on an NVME SSD

And I can't even get a prison built that's big enough to do anything with, and come out with a decent frame rate. Basically all I am doing is building prisons and moving on. Not even getting to really play.enjoy what I have built. Am I building them wrong? Staffing them wrong? I do use 4 mods, but the performance does not change with or without the mods (vending 2.0, better clock, expanded quick build and reset button) All DLC's are available... I just don't get it. I've had this game since launch and have recently decided to try and play again but it's just going so terribly wrong. Could I get someone to download my current build to see if it's HOW i build, or am I just imagining things?

*i've never been able to exceed 20fps with a prison of 300 or so at max. If I expand beyond that it's down to 4 or less FPS. Nvidia overlay shows HUGE spikes in latency up to 500ms when the game is running but framerate/latency goes to what would be normal only when the game is paused.

Upvote 0
Please attach here the game log C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\Introversion\Prison Architect\debug.txt

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

AND DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

I don't see any cause for this in those files, although you may as well update that nvidia driver to this month:

If nvidia geForce experience is running after that update, unload it.

Then try a clean reinstall:
- uninstall PA from Steam
- unsubscribe from all mods in this game's Steam Workshop

Delete the following folders if still present:

- Steam/SteamApps/common/PA
- C:/users/{UserName}/AppData/Local/Introversion/Prison Architect/
(keep any valued save games, of course)
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.
- test with a new prison, NOT any existing one

Is that any better?

I've done this MANY times before as it's not an uncommon attempt at a repair. And the time it takes to build one to get to that point is many days. I can create a prison and it will run fine but as soon as I start expanding map size or character (inmate, worker etc.) count the FPS starts dropping. You know when I add/schedule programs it takes almost 1.5 MINUTES of unresponsive game time (and don't you dare click again or it WILL crash) just to add.

What I would LOVE you to do is test the map itself. I can remove the mods (they aren't that major or intrusive) and send you a mod free copy somehow if you'd like.

For instance, in the SS's you will see FPS while paused (30-50 usually) vs unpaused (1-6 fps)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-25 200713.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 200713.png
    2,7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-03-25 200753.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-25 200753.png
    2,5 MB · Views: 0
  • x.png
    x.png
    7 MB · Views: 0
I've done this MANY times before as it's not an uncommon attempt at a repair.
There are mods in that log file, yet my process should end up with none in there.

You are welcome to attach the affected prison file here (you'll need to zip it first), then I or anyone can try it on their equipment.

Yes, there are mods there but none of them change the map. The only thing that would have been present is vending mod. But I have played this map with and without he mods and get the same results. Currently in this state of save though I did get rid of dog handlers as they are as useful as a quill pen with no ink. but hey it got me 2 more FPS (for my total of 5fps)

Attachments

• x.zip
    5,5 MB · Views: 0
But I have played this map with and without he mods and get the same results.
Disabling mods does not remove effects they have already had on the save game file.

Do you have a prison that's never had any mods used in it, which has this problem?

Disabling mods does not remove effects they have already had on the save game file.

Do you have a prison that's never had any mods used in it, which has this problem?
Yes, I've had plenty and they all have the same issues and run poorly mods or not. It's not a MOD issue it's a game issue. It has been a game issue since early access. I'm not the only person to have ever had the issue. I was sent maps from other users that run just the same and they used no DLC's or mods. That map I posted was sent to someone with slightly better specs and they too only got 6 FPS. Reddit is full of the same posts, steam forums as well. i don't have the patience anymore to go and build another prison for a week just to have it do the same thing. I've had the game since dec. of 2014 played for a year or so and stopped because of the same issues (and then when cooks were useless lol) Then in 2018(ish) I tried again and though things were a bit better, I was able to make it past the old limits, it still ran poorly. So I'm just going to uninstall the game. I didn't pay a ton for it and it's not worth the headache anymore, I doubt they are too worried about fixing it, they are too busy trying to make a sequel. And I know it switched hands, it was just never properly optimized to run on multi core systems.

Not going to buy any other game made by Paradox/Introversion.

There will be no more patches for this game, so you are right - if this is a bug it cannot now be fixed.

But while others may have seen poor performance in it from time to time, by no means does everyone see this with every prison on all hardware! Which you'd expect to be the case if it were a game bug.

Please make a new test prison that shows this issue, with no mods ever used in it, and we'll see if we get that problem here on othere equipment.

I agree it's not a bug... i don't think it was ever stated that it was. It's a game that is poorly optimized and unable to run in a stable manner across all systems, no game is perfectly optimized to do so. So of course it will run OK on some systems and not all. The issue is with the original creators of the game doing a poor job.