• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Czarina Julie

Czarina
9 Badges
Apr 11, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I ran into an issue where I was playing a communist Mexico and wanted to trade with communist France (USSR took all of Europe in 44). However I couldn't trade with France because the port of Marseilles was blocked by Gibraltar (the comintern was at with the allies and Mexico was in the comintern invading the USA).

Is there a way to "reassign" (even it's modding files) where trades are conducted?
Also, can a country have more than one port to receive and send trades from, like US Pacific and Atlantic coasts?

Thanks for any help.

Is there a way to "reassign" (even it's modding files) where trades are conducted?
Also, can a country have more than one port to receive and send trades from, like US Pacific and Atlantic coasts?

The answer to both question is yes in principle, but it practice it does get tricky. It is possible to edit a new trade into the savegame. Or you can edit the existing convoys of France so it is more likely that its trade port is at the atlantic.

The answer to both question is yes in principle, but it practice it does get tricky. It is possible to edit a new trade into the savegame. Or you can edit the existing convoys of France so it is more likely that its trade port is at the atlantic.
Thanks for your quick response. I have a follow-up question (arn't I just a demanding person :)).
Can this be done without a savedgame? Maybe in a country's .inc file, the scenario .eug file, or any where else?
Basically where does the game determine the port and/or route for the trades when a trade occurs?

Last edited:
you can influence this through infrastructure to a small degree, have not looked at the code (would probably not figure out what and how it does it quickly either) but my experience says that infrastructure and the most efficient path to the capitals seem to be what the engine uses to find the trade routes (i can be wrong but hey :) )

Well, those are what savegames are created from in the first place. So that will work in the short run.

Creating a convoy for soviet union to ship home oil from Sakhalin to Khabarovsk changed the trade port from say Leningrad to Khabarovsk.
Looks like I'll need to test it out using the .inc files. You would think the game would be smart enough to have a conditional statement like if port a is block then check another port...maybe with an array containing all countries that have (or obtained) coasts on more than one body of water. :)

Well, again thanks for your help!!