How do you use the Kriegsmarine's surface ships?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sargeras

Sergeant
12 Badges
Apr 10, 2011
www.oldschoolrpg.it
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Also known as the German fleet excluding the subs? I've been playing DH since pretty much the beginning but I still cannot see any use for the surface ships. What's your plan for the Kriegsmarine apart from disbanding it and sabing supply?

They can be useful through shore bombing against Poland and Ussr. Your fleet should be stronger than theirs and Baltic is a close sea if you control Denmark.

However naval AI is so stupid that Bismarck&Co. can be effective even against Allies. It requires a lot of micro and a pinch of luck, but you can destroy a lot of minor ships and a couple of major vessels too with interdiction far away from British coast or the "stay in port and attack when a fleet is in front of you" mission.

And if you want to go head to head with RN and UN, you can! Just read the guide posted here about how to create an invincible navy from zero

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Also known as the German fleet excluding the subs? I've been playing DH since pretty much the beginning but I still cannot see any use for the surface ships. What's your plan for the Kriegsmarine apart from disbanding it and sabing supply?
Unless you plan on expanding it, keep it as a failsafe when you need to invade Norway, or as a deterrent if the US/UK want to try their BS mass landing strats. I normally wait until after Barbarossa to make a fleet of CV's with DD's to invade UK, and even then airborne landings work best.

They can be useful through shore bombing against Poland and Ussr. Your fleet should be stronger than theirs and Baltic is a close sea if you control Denmark.

However naval AI is so stupid that Bismarck&Co. can be effective even against Allies. It requires a lot of micro and a pinch of luck, but you can destroy a lot of minor ships and a couple of major vessels too with interdiction far away from British coast or the "stay in port and attack when a fleet is in front of you" mission.

And if you want to go head to head with RN and UN, you can! Just read the guide posted here about how to create an invincible navy from zero
Where can I read the Naval guide? Sounds interesting

• 1Like
Reactions:
Landing support. Invasion protection.

Hard to do Graf Spee tour since you can't refuel at sea.

So pretty much limited uses, time and IC better spent on CVs unless you role play or go after historical flavor - would it be WW2 without a Bismark or Tirpitz?

• 1Like
Reactions: