• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Guston

Colonel
12 Badges
Mar 25, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
I don't have India dlc. I'm currently Shia caliph king of arabia. I want the byzantine empire. How do I go about usurping the title? My best idea so far is invade Greece then get Greek orthodox vassal to educate heir. Hope he changes religion without changing culture. then take all the land from current emperor and reform the title. Is there a better way? My ultimate goal is Catholic roman empire with bedouin culture.

I don't know if the usurping conditions are different than the creating conditions, but you could just keep invading/holy-warring the byzantine emperor until he has no more land, which would destroy the empire title. Then it's just a matter of gaining 80% of the de jure counties to create it. The wiki shows no special requirements to create byzantine empire except that the roman empire not exist.

Alternatively, see if you could swear fealty to byzantium. If that works, start factioning CA down to autonomous, then faction for elective successsion, then you can faction yourself for emperor without a claim.

Ditch the Caliph title, and that should work. When you're Caliph, you can't have an heir of a different religion. It just has someone else in your dynasty who is the correct religion inherit. There is probably a way to be a non-Muslim Caliph, but that isn't it.

Also, you can't just create the title, as Pompey suggested, without being Orthodox first. I'm not sure why the wiki says that, but the Byzantine Empire is one of the only titles in the game that require you to be a certain religion to form it, in this case, Orthodox. That may have been changed last patch, but that's how it was before that patch.

Check if the emperor has dynastic member landed outside the kingdom of Greece. If yes, then invade them, force conversion, put that newly Muslim vassal on the Byzantine throne, then beat them around until you can usurp them.

Disclaimer: don't know if this works anymore.

Steal a daughter of the emperor, educate her to your religion and culture. Let her go as a grown up. She might not go to zyour court as long she is hat her fathers, but after she got married invite her, kill her husband, marry her.

Try to press her claim or later the claim of your son (you).

As pagan you could take her concubine and than marry her.

Sadly you cant force martiage with prissioners. That should be fixed.

Yes, but she won't be your concubine animore.

I did this once with the queen of france. Big mistake.

edit: Got me an Idea. As Cathar women can lead an army, If I imprision the Queen in battle and concubine her, what will happen?

Challange accepted ;)

I guess she'll abdicate to her heir

There is another, albeit hard, way. You take all of ERE de jure land, or all de jure land that the emperor controls. Then you can usurp the emperor title from him. There are easier and more gamey ways to get ERE but I'll not dwell on that here.

Reactions:
As hvald said: the way to usurp a title from another with a different religion is to take all the de jure land of the title you want that that person controls.

It's entirely possible to usurp the Byzantine Empire if you just hold 80% of its' de jure land AND the don't personally hold any provinces within the de jure area of their primary title (I usurped it as a Catholic Lombard after having pushed the Emperor all the way up to Yaik in the steppes, so he didn't hold anything in de jure Byzantium anymore). However, don't kill them off to destroy the title - as mentioned before, you must be Orthodox to create it.