• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1) Is your capital in Africa?
2) Do you own Wealth of Nations and have it enabled?
3) Is your nation western tech?

Not sure what else it might be as I haven't played with them yet but I know any of those three things will preclude it.

bump...i recently annexed territory on the indian subcontinent, but the option to form trade company is grayed out...

http://imgur.com/ZvErXTy

edit: notice i have a cored province in ceylon, what throws me off is that i do have provinces in indus connected by land to my capital, but some land not contiguous with the capital in indus...

/shrug

Isnt Byzanitum eastern? IIRC it is a western only feature.

Problem is, it's not documented anywhere that Trade Companies are limited by tech-group. I only found this out after playing a very weird Ottoman game where I took exploration with the intent of colonising all of the African and Indonesian islands before the Euros showed up, only to then be told by the button that Ottoman tech-group isn't allowed to have them. I can understand Muslims and lower not having them, but why not other tech-groups with their capital in Europe?