• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I_Am_Number_6

Private
24 Badges
Dec 10, 2017
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
So here’s the situation: In this game, Mexico turned communist and decided that they were going to march south and conquer territories there. As the U.S. had guaranteed those countries, I was asked to intervene and accepted. The war was brutal and short, with the U.S. quickly routing the Mexican forces. But then, shortly before Mexico was about to surrender, the Mexico joined the Chinese(!) coalition, which was currently in a losing defensive war with Japan (my brain is still broken from trying to understand that logic, but that’s another story altogether). This didn’t stop Mexico’s ultimate surrender, which occurred two weeks later. However, now the U.S. is in a defensive war with China who is, in turn, in a losing defensive war with Japan.

I have no desire to be in this war, and would like to offer a White Peace. However, I’m unable to find a method to do this. Can anyone offer me pointers? Thanks!

At the moment, white peace is useless. Only the losing side can offer and the ai doesn't use it. The only way to end it is to defeat China.

But problems like this stems from faction joining that don't make sense. I saw a similar situation a few weeks ago, I was democratic Italy and after Germany and Japan were defeated, the Chinaese civil war started, and communist China joined the Allies, not the Comintern.

There should be a rule, where the country has to be the same ideology as the faction leader to join the faction, although there would be special circumstances like national focuses and Poland joining the Allies.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately "conditional surrender" button (I'm not sure, if english name is correct) is most useless thing in HOI4 - I have never seen to successful offer. There is just a few scripted white peaces in the game: I remember italo-ethiopian war, if Ethiopia makes a good job, and sino-japanese war, if China pushes Japan from the continent. In my opinion (I think I wrote this in some threads) it should be more possibilities - for example, I can imagine the situation, when Portugal will not protect african possesion (I abstract from historical dependencies), if she lost it during the war with South Africa.

In Your situation - do You have save game before Mexico joined Chinese United Front? If that, load it, do some micro and take capital city as last major victory point. I have noticed (probably after one of Sejozwak videos), that AI is tempting to join random faction, when she recognizes, that she is loosing and that usually happens when she loses control of the capital. Probably You will get event "Mexico joined Chinese United Front", but AI needs at least one day to call her allies to the war and in this moment You should be sure, that You can capitulate Your enemy.

At the moment, white peace is useless. Only the losing side can offer and the ai doesn't use it. The only way to end it is to defeat China.

But problems like this stems from faction joining that don't make sense. I saw a similar situation a few weeks ago, I was democratic Italy and after Germany and Japan were defeated, the Chinaese civil war started, and communist China joined the Allies, not the Comintern.

There should be a rule, where the country has to be the same ideology as the faction leader to join the faction, although there would be special circumstances like national focuses and Poland joining the Allies.
Finland is (and historically was) democratic. Should it not be allowed to join the Axis?

This is a bad solution, and would not work in ironman, but you could use a console to white peace them.

Open the console and type (without arrow)
--> whitepeace CHI

While probably not what you're looking for, a peace conference that ends with no demands made on a defeated nation will be called a 'white peace' in the results window when the conference is concluded.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Imo the AI shouldnt accept white peace all the time, but would be nice if it did occasionally. Ie war support is very low, and/or the costs are heavily outweighing the benefits. Something like ‘occupied victory points is far lower than the percentage of war score accumulated by defending nation’, or something to that effect. Then it turns into a mini peace conference where you can fight over occupied land.

Of course this would have to be heavily balanced, otherwise it would be easily exploitable and white peace would be happening everywhere and would be super busted.

As is, real life white peace situations like the Winter War turn into Finnish soldiers marching past the Urals to capitulate the Soviers, because its all or nothing currently. It ends up having to be a scripted event in game

It would also make certain achievements no longer a slog. Ie oh I need this tiny piece of China to complete the set? Have fun capitulating the entirety of the Allies by yourself.

Last edited:
I suspect the best answer to this sort of thing should be that whilst Mexico may want to join a faction there should be rules around them being accepted based on the relations of the faction leader with any country that Mexico is at war with. The logic should be that the faction leader doesn't want to acquire a war with a country they have good relations with. This would have absolutely no effect on faction joins where the faction and the country joining are already at war against the same enemy but would prevent you suddenly finding yourself at war with friends.

This could be supplemented with a fear factor, just how much does the faction leader not want to be in a war with the enemy of the country applying to join. That is a bit more of a complex calculation but may well really not be needed.

Of course, doing something like this would mean that the Axis power pre-war conquests could be expanded by making the effort to be on really good terms with the Allies faction leader but if they can manage that then logically it ought to work. I can't see it being very achievable.

I suspect the best answer to this sort of thing should be that whilst Mexico may want to join a faction there should be rules around them being accepted based on the relations of the faction leader with any country that Mexico is at war with. The logic should be that the faction leader doesn't want to acquire a war with a country they have good relations with. This would have absolutely no effect on faction joins where the faction and the country joining are already at war against the same enemy but would prevent you suddenly finding yourself at war with friends.

This could be supplemented with a fear factor, just how much does the faction leader not want to be in a war with the enemy of the country applying to join. That is a bit more of a complex calculation but may well really not be needed.

Of course, doing something like this would mean that the Axis power pre-war conquests could be expanded by making the effort to be on really good terms with the Allies faction leader but if they can manage that then logically it ought to work. I can't see it being very achievable.
I also proposed at the forum to deprive the allies (except the leader) of the opportunity to issue guarantees., and to deprive them of the opportunity to accept into the union a country with which the one who has a non-aggression pact with Britain is at war.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses! It looks like this is an ongoing issue though so… oh well, I guess China decided to pick a fight with the U.S. while… getting their asses handed to them by the Japanese? I have to admit, that’s a bit of logical coding I wouldn‘t mind seeing, just out of the sake of personal curiosity…

'Offer Peace' however has been updated somewhat, and will now allow the sender to offer a conditional surrender based on the current warscore against them. The AI has weights to accept this, but are unlikely to do so if they realistically have any chance of continued success. This will create a peace conference between the parties, with only a certain % of points being distributed (based on warscore).
Its not exactly a white peace; but I m ok with that winning side can propose a conditional surrender with the new system. Though its very rare and hard to achieve one because losing side must have no hope at all of resisting neither be in an Alliance with Major Powers.