• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emperor of Europe

Field Marshal
25 Badges
Sep 21, 2000
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hi

I just gave up on a pathetic attempt to lead Denmark to glory in the Grand Campaign. Since the income of Denmark is very low, I grabbed the Hansa COT in Holstein as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately that didn't make much of a difference. Even though I had a monopoly in the COT my yearly income wasn't much more than a 100 Ducats or so. And since I had a monthly deficit of 6-8 Ducats I could either spend my entire yearly income to cover the deficit, or I could go down in a spiral of inflation.

In the end I decided to take out extra loans to increase my infrastructure and take the stability hit of a bankrupcy. But even my brewery didn't make much, and if have yet to see any effect of the Voigts or Marshalls - how much are they supposed to increase taxes?

After the bankrupcy the situation was much the same: my yearly income was 100 Ducats or so, and I still lost 6-7 Ducats a month.

What am I doing wrong here? I seem to be unable to do anything about my yearly income, and to lower my monthly expenses.

Any tips or suggestions?

The poor Emperor

------------------
Uhm... nice province. I
think I'll take it.

Hey, I managed to have a balanced economy even with Sibir! :) Loosing 6 Gold per month is too much, of course. In my experience a loss of up til two can be countered by the treasury slider without increasing inflation too much. If not due to loans (interest rates), You simply must have a much too big standing army. You may also consider reducing the spending for the armies to 50% in peace times.

Hartmann

[This message has been edited by Hartmann (edited 20-11-2000).]

Originally posted by Hartmann:
Hey, I managed to have a balanced economy even with Sibir! :) Loosing 6 Gold per month is too much, of course. In my experience a loss of up til two can be countered by the treasury slider without increasing inflation too much. If not due to loans (interest rates), You simply must have a much too big standing army. You may also consider reducing the spending for the armies to 50% in peace times.

Hartmann

[This message has been edited by Hartmann (edited 20-11-2000).]

Well the Danish army was pretty small since I had to quell lots of rebellions during the bankrupcy period, and I didn't have the money to increase it.

Now I'm playing France in the Grand Campaign and in 1520 I got a monthly deficit of 10 ducats even though I conquered the COT in Flanders, build 2 breweries and have marshalls in most of my provinces. :(

I'll try to lower the army expenses, that should help a lot.

Regards,

A troubled Emperor

My tips (for Denmark, but probably apply to most nations):

Lower the spending for your fleet in peace time not your army. Without exception, they are the greatest drain on your treasury, and you really don't need them much - I don't even bother to raise their wages during war, since I can't see any reason why they should be sailing around much anyway (the Danish coastline is far too long to defend adequately with less than 40-50 warships in any case).

I never, ever, lower the spending for the army. Even a huge army costs very little compared to the fleet.

Lowering the wages for the fleet will save you 4-6d a month alone!

Secondly, don't be afraid of taking 0.2 - 0.3% rise in inflation per year - assuming you build up your empire, you can easily recoup this by installing plenty of Governors (Burgermesters) when you get infrastructur 5 (or is it 6?). At 0.3% a year, you'll still have way lower inflation than any of the other nations (in the current game, some of the others have 100% inflation by 1600 - compared to the peak of 33% I reached before I began installing governors).

Loans increase your inflation (and also cost interest) - avoid like the plague unless you are badly in need of the cash.

Research Trade - Infrastructure - Trade - Infrastructure - Trade... well, you get the drift. Each step you research in these boost your tax and trade efficiency by 5%. You start at 20% efficiency (or is it 25%?), so the first level increases your trade or tax revenues by 25%. This is ultra-important.

Finally, if you can, grab the Mexican real-estate with gold mines and colonize it. In general, colonies + trade posts are a huge income producer - especially furs and tobacco give very high returns. This is the point where you might consider going to war with one of the big powers - if you can defeat them in a couple of sea battles, you are likely to steal their maps. Of course, you also need a conquistador - but this seems to be a quite common event.

And (my favorite) annex all of the Hansa. 30k+30k+30k+10k+10k provinces give a sizable amount of taxes, compared to the lowly populated Danish isles (Sjælland only has 10k inhabitants).

Well, that explains something! :) I was wondering the whole morning why Emperor of Europe had such high monthly losses. But as I never tried a seafaring nation up til now, I didn´t know about those high ship maintainance costs! The only thing I´m not sure strategy is right, is wether loans increase inflation. I thought they don´t (or only indirectly, because You have to shove the treasury slider to the right to compensate for the increase in monthly losses).

Hartmann

It seems to me that a loan directly boosts your inflation (I'm not 100% sure though).

A note on governors - installing them in all of my European provinces (see the screenshots in the AAR) reduced inflation from about 30% to 10%.

Also, one can't overestimate the worth of those Mexican gold provinces (especially the heavily populated Aztec capital). :)