• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rkrempel

Recruit
32 Badges
Dec 20, 2019
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • March of the Eagles
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
Russian Republic.jpg

These black counters used to show up for some rarely created puppet states (like Fascist England), but they seem to have gotten quite abundant since the last update (thank you for that, btw :)).

I figured it was something simple like a definition not referring to the correct file or that file not existing. However, the correct file seems to exist in "..\Arsenal of Democracy\gfx\palette", presumably all the "Counter_***.bmp" files and indeed, the appropriate "counter_u08.bmp" does indeed exist (that it is "u08" can be gathered from "..\Arsenal of Democracy\revolt.txt).

So I figured it must be the reference, so I scanned for "Counter_" used anywhere in the files, but it isn't. Nowhere (accessible to me) is the use of the counter bmps defined. So I'm stuck.

Nations with this problem (that I've observed recently) are:
-Russian Republic
-Transcaucasian Republic
-Benelux Union

This sure as hell is annoying and it seems like simple thing to fix, if only I knew how/where to do it....

Upvote 0
It's because the counters are not there or were not properly created (8 bit counter with correct palette info). It's an easy fix if you have the Counter Maker by Andreas Schmitt. It's an old tool from HOI2 days.

If you don't have the tool, let me know and I'll upload it. The zip file is only 186 KB.

<switches some files around>
Yup! that's it. It's possible to edit the counters using paint, but it seems to be really tricky (ended up with white counters instead on multiple occasions).

"Yes, please" to the "Counter Maker" upload.

Thanks for reporting this I will fix this soon. U73(england) and U08(Russian Republic) has been fixed.
counters_fix.png

counters.aod.png
nations test

Now all known issues has been solved and I found out that Padua didnt have Airforce counter.
padua.png
Padua with Airforce counter.

I was trying out Counter Maker this morning (worked like a charm!), but had a meetup for some heavy boardgaming the rest of the day and didn't get round to thanking Czarina Julie & Pang Bingxun. -Thanks!!

Now I see I have one more benefactor. :)

Sweet! Glad to help.
Also, you can run into counters that will display a different county's flag on the counter. That happens when there are no counters for that country. I have it happen for Uganda (U70), Grand Columbia (U77), and Gambia (U86) when I released them and they created their first units.

I can confirm that Counter_u77 is missing. I cannot confirm that Counter_u70 and Counter_u86 are missing. The later 2 files exist and have last been changed in 2009.

In the steamapps\common\Arsenal of Democracy\gfx\palette there is a Counter_u70 and we also have a Counter_u86. I have made a counter_U77,counter_U80 and a counter_U72 for communist Vietnam. Nationalist Vietnam has been using communist Vietnams sheild it seems.

Nationalist Vietnam has been using communist Vietnams sheild it seems.
Here is the Republic of Vietnam:
upload_2019-12-23_18-11-49.png

Don't copy this one (above) but use the one in the .zip (below) so you get the correct 8-bit counter

Let me know what counters ya'all don't have. Even done a Austro-Hungary

Attachments

• Counter_vie.zip
    935 bytes · Views: 7
Here is the Republic of Vietnam:
Don't copy this one (above) but use the one in the .zip (below) so you get the correct 8-bit counter

Let me know what counters ya'all don't have. Even done a Austro-Hungary

I have been fixing lot of counters yesterday. Also for Vietnam and yes we could use yours.

Last edited:
There is a lot of issues in the u00 nations and I found Tanganykia,Uganda,Ghana,Dakar,Mauritania,Chad Upper Volta,Sierra Leone,Jamaica,Ceylon, Wales,Togo,Northeren China, Northeren Ireland,Singapore,Cameroon, Rhodesia and Nyasaland(Rhodesia+Nyasaland=one nation). Most of them have counters but they are wrong like N.Ireland is using Portuglas counter.

I have done the counters for Cameroon, Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

Last edited:
I use U01 as Austro-Hungary. Here's that counter (you can always rename the counter if U01 is your mod isn't Austro_Hungary).

Picture of the counter:
upload_2019-12-24_14-35-10.png

The actual file:

Attachments

• counter_u01.zip
    830 bytes · Views: 5
We need players to test out and point out what counters that do not work ingame. I have fixed 18 counters today and most of them where from the old hoi2-armageddon(U00-nations).

Last edited: