How big a city population can CS2 generate?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tbf I misunderstood it a tiny bit.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hard population cap due to integer overflow and similar.
That said 2 million wouldn't be too bad, would it?
That is far from unlimited and barely twice the CS1 modded limit. So just maybe 2m is a disappointment to some. Kudo's city looks like it is running well from his posts and Screenshots. Sad to think 2m could be a limit this early in development. The next hardware cycle and future updates might make this more clear or true or false.

That is far from unlimited and barely twice the CS1 modded limit. So just maybe 2m is a disappointment to some. Kudo's city looks like it is running well from his posts and Screenshots. Sad to think 2m could be a limit this early in development. The next hardware cycle and future updates might make this more clear or true or false.
Well, CS1 worked very differently. The population was not individually simulated and the numbers were not realistic (check how many live in a large building i.e.). Additionally after a certain population size, they started simulating things differently. This time, they mostly have not implemented such shortcuts.

If you are (as I am) in computer science active, you would understand that this limit is not surprising at all.

Well, CS1 worked very differently. The population was not individually simulated and the numbers were not realistic (check how many live in a large building i.e.). Additionally after a certain population size, they started simulating things differently. This time, they mostly have not implemented such shortcuts.

If you are (as I am) in computer science active, you would understand that this limit is not surprising at all.
Then I expect you agree it should not be promoted as such. I find it misleading as only hardware limit sounds unlimited with time to me. Oh well it seems this game is full of surprises for the "non computer scientist" who likely are the bulk of players.

Then I expect you agree it should not be promoted as such. I find it misleading as only hardware limit sounds unlimited with time to me. Oh well it seems this game is full of surprises for the "non computer scientist" who likely are the bulk of players.
Did they explicitly promote that you can build insanely large populations?
I wouldn't be surprised ...

Did they explicitly promote that you can build insanely large populations?
I wouldn't be surprised ...
Not exactly, they said "the only limit is your hardware" we quickly found the first limit was the budget at 2B. To be clear though there is no real proof of any pop limit, other than a lack of cities above 2m that actually function.

The hardware is the limit means for you there is no limit? Really? Why do we try to create more powerful hardware then, if the one of today does not have a limit.

The hardware is the limit means for you there is no limit? Really? Why do we try to create more powerful hardware then, if the one of today does not have a limit.
Because the one of tomorrow may not get any further. As I said no proof of any limit yet, simply a few stalled at 2.030m means nothing today. Time will tell. Hence my OP question.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because the one of tomorrow may not get any further. As I said no proof of any limit yet, simply a few stalled at 2.030m means nothing today. Time will tell. Hence my OP question.
It looks like Kudos for past 2m and is now very close to 2.3m.
My question seems to have been answered regarding any 2m cap.

Thank you all for the kind responses!