HOI4 - Development Diary - September 9th 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@podcat I have been talking on a number of mods regarding Operation Weserubung and how the German AI seems unable to complete this as was historically done. Was wondering if any work has been done on this issue.
I wonder the same thing. For now I'm using a home made mod that helps Germany conquer Norway after declaring war. It works like a charm most of the time but it would of course be better if Weserubung worked in the original game. It did work in hoi II.

I wonder the same thing. For now I'm using a home made mod that helps Germany conquer Norway after declaring war. It works like a charm most of the time but it would of course be better if Weserubung worked in the original game. It did work in hoi II.
I've got it working reliably in the current (unreleased) version of my mod, but it's via the rather 'gamey' route of adding straits between Denmark and Norway. I've had no luck in getting the GER AI to launch effective naval invasions into Norway.

Reactions:
Darn it, Krafty beat me to it. So I'll change it up slightly.

Tries to point out inconsistencies of posters.
Can't see glaring hypocrisy of Paradox.
#JustTom_JonesThings
Let me remind you my first reply here, before you beat that straw man too hard

"This works in reverse, too:"

in other words,

Points out the dichotomy exists also between people complaining about the supposed dichotomy.

the supposed contradictory follow up? That's, am afraid, just your own invention.

Incidentally, 'glaring hypocrisy' is when someone complains about another's actions, while doing such a thing themselves. And it wasn't PDX staff that complained about supposed inconsistency of the players, but the other way around -- you complained about theirs.

Reactions:
Exactly. it doesnt hurt to be polite and nice. Also I like to give credit for good work.

Long term yes. To be honest right now our focus is on making historical better. Once we are happy with that we can start making ahistorical better. But atm we prioritize historical (sadly no metrics on which one is picked most! need to get that)

artillery_brigade is frontline artillery and the other is support.

future diary :)
I want you to confirm again. From AI unit template file:

# REGIMENTS:
#infantry
#light_armor
#super_heavy_armor
#modern_armor
#heavy_armor
#medium_armor
#light_armor
#anti_tank
#cavalry
#motorized
#mechanized
#marine
#mountaineers
#paratrooper
#rocket_artillery
#light_tank_destroyer
#anti_air
#artillery

# SUPPORT:
#engineer
#recon
#signal_company
#maintenance_company
#anti_tank_brigade
#anti_air_brigade
#artillery_brigade
#field_hospital
#logistics_company
#military_police
#light_sp_anti_air_brigade
#light_sp_artillery_brigade

I've got it working reliably in the current (unreleased) version of my mod, but it's via the rather 'gamey' route of adding straits between Denmark and Norway. I've had no luck in getting the GER AI to launch effective naval invasions into Norway.

My method is to transfer Norwegian provinces to Germany and then create some 20 or so divisions (regular inf and mountaineers) which I place in these provinces.

I do this in an event that fires when Germany dow Norway. I remember having to test a little before finding a good number of divisions and locations.

So, I basically made the invasion for them :D

My method is to transfer Norwegian provinces to Germany and then create some 15 or so divisions (regular inf and mountaineers) which I place in these provinces.

I do this in an event that fires when Germany dow Norway. I remember having to test a little before finding a good number of divisions.

So, I basically made the invasion for them :D
Yeah, I also grant them divisions by event (AI-only) but without the straits they tend to just get destroyed.

Either way, it's a poor substitute for the AI being able to invade properly.

Reactions:
I know everybody was hoping for a patch this week (including us!), but we also want to make sure things are as good as they can be when we release, and especially since we are still dealing with a lot of illness among team members we need to push it a little longer. You will know it when I do when the patch is ready :)
That's it, no more free summer month for you guys - you just get sick on it or after it! Nationalize ... err... internationalize you and put you all into protective custody!

When will the patch be released? Cant wait to start a new game ... but in its current state its sometimes unplayable.
Tomorrow is likely I think. They don't like releasing patches on a Friday, so if it's not tomorrow then it will have to be delayed until next week.

Tomorrow is likely I think. They don't like releasing patches on a Friday, so if it's not tomorrow then it will have to be delayed until next week.
not tomorrow. aiming friday morning, but subject to change so just my guess

Reactions:
Have the unit country-specific division names system been fixed? Right now in 1.1 there are files in /common to customize this, but they aren't used by HOI4.

As an OCD player that used to love the HOI3 OOB system, I can accept the system in HOI4... But for the love of Kek, make the country specific names work! It's pure aesthetics and isn't as consequential as the AI, but it really grates. Maybe for 1.3? 1.9?

QuakeWorld Improvements, Netmech+, Angband, and thats just from the 90s. Its fairly common, and has mixed appeal.

QWI (who also made QuARK, that was incorporated by iD as well) was very upset about it.

The Netmech/Mechwarrior community on the other hand was very grateful to Activision for adopting its improvements and allowing its models into the base game.

A number of "improvement packs" have basically turned into "remasters" as well, though thats a little different. Like Ultima, Baldurs Gate, Planescape, etc.

Good to know, thanks!

Releasing a buggy version with already known A-priority / blocking / critical bugs would mean potential overtime for devs to fix it or lots of tears for your customers. It doesn't make sense. Nothing ever good comes from a risky friday release. ;)
and yet I got the update on a friday, sensible stuff dude.

The funniest bug found was probably the one where German AI, presumably due to its strong sense of honor, refused to attack units it massively outnumbered (say 40 divisions of medium tanks vs 2 infantry divisions sitting on Copenhagen).

Looks like they've been spending too much time around the Japanese.