HOI4 Dev Diary - 5th Anniversary

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice to see this free content and updates! If I may ask, could you fix Yoshiko Kawashima and make her use both her commander and operative portraits? And I'd also like to see every Chinese tag with Chinese voices, not just the Nationalists.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What? On historical mode Turkey should not join the war on the side of the Allies until the very end. Turkey only joined the Allies in February 1945 and never saw actual combat. In April 1944 Turkey stopped selling Chromite to Germany. An embargo mechanic is needed for this kind of thing. You should be able to embargo other nations completely or just certain resources. Happened a lot before and during the war.

M. Ismet Inönü Friend, Brother and Successor M.Kemal Atatürk viewed the Second World War as an continuation of First World War. In his views Germany and Italy still had some eyes on Turkish Lands and didn´t really recognize their sovereignty.

Since the German Invasion of Poland Turkey viewed as soon as possible an outbreak of War between Germany and Russia and came to the conclusion to side atleast with France-Anglo Alliance.

Overall the Allies offered Turkey atleast some Land before as present for siding with them - so maybe it would make Sense that Turkey maybe enters early the War on Side with the Allies maybe if they get some territory back as core from the Allies.

Reactions:
>national anthem of the USSR
>uses lyrics from 1977 and the instrumental from 1955

YOU HAD ONE JOB

• 14Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat, and the extra info pdx-sanke and Arheo :cool: Very exciting to see HoI4 make (almost, just needs to survive three more days!) five years - and super-impressive where you've all taken tha game :) Very much looking forward to the future. Plane pack looks very cool (imagine how even cooler the game would look with that many different ship models per nation :) ) and I'll be sure to pick it - great work to the artists involved :)

As for the bugfixes:
AI no longer deletes their whole naval production queue of old ships at game start
Thank you so, so, sooooooo much :). For a thematically-appropriate naval pic, here's the French battleship Richelieu (laid down in October 1935) under construction in 1937 :)

Richelieu 1937 cropped.jpg

Fixed incorrect naval battle reports with convoys on one side
This is also super-helpful - having to bring up the details in the naval battle display to work out how many convoys were sunk was a little fiddly :)

- Right-clicking on an air wing's aircraft count/reinforcement limit display now sets the reinforcement limit to the current number of aircraft in the air wing, as stated in the tooltip
Ooooooh, very nice and elegant - great work :)

- when AI is refitting a ship, make sure it does not choose an obsolete model as target

Great work - a very fix :)

- Portuguese Ai should no longer go crazy on ship purchasing decisions

I'm not so sure about this. Is it possible to go crazy on ship purchasing decisions? Does not everyone need more ships? :)

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
With the CAS animations that I'm really looking forward to, might there be added sound effects for the beloved Ju-87? It is easily one of the most, if not the most iconic sound of the German Blitzkrieg.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Awesome update!

I'm still wondering when the monachist netherlands will finally be compatible with imperial germany.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@podcat Was the Ostland bug fixed, or is that to be done along with the new DLC? I know it wasn't done for BftB and had to continue using a mod to fix it. The error is a simple one, as is the fix judging from what the modder did to fix it. In the vanilla game the command used for releasing the Ostland as a Reichskommiserat {sorry for misspelling that] is "Release" whereas the modder changed that to "Release on Controlled" which makes it work properly now.

• 2Like
Reactions:
You added Kurdish, Ukrainian, Georgian, Armenian namelists, also I think though (if my memory serves me well) Kosovo gets names like "John Smith", which I don't know if that's intended.

Idk if that's actually what namelist refers to but still.
Yes, that is what is referring to. For a lot of release nations the names lists default to English for whatever reason. I noticed when playing a game as a released Ukraine that all the names are English names and now they will obviously Ukrainian. The fact they have added these names lists make me feel like releasing Ukraine, Georgia and Armenia may form part of the Soviet focus tree.

So as a recent addition to the list of releasables Kosovo likely just falls into the same category here where it is defaulted to English names. They probably also want to stay away from the minefield of what names you give them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't see where in the patch log it says they fixed the horrifically broken formable nations decisions. That's literally the only thing preventing me from playing BftB, and it's such an easy fix. Where is it?

Excuse me All the songs are exciting But I want to know if I can use it in my HOI4 YouTube video and No copyright issues? I’m tired of a lot of copyright issues I don’t even have time to check who actually owns the copyright

I'm fairly certain the IAR 80 is already the Romanian model from DoD if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions:
- AI no longer deletes their whole naval production queue at game start

Thank you, I've been a bit of a continuous complainer on this issue for a very long time and now can rest my weary bones.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Are there any plans to release a new Sabaton music pack? Their latest song, Defence of Moscow, was released at just the perfect time to not be a part of No Step Back. It just such a wild coincidence.
Defence of Moscow is actually a cover of Radio Tapok's song; origionally in Russian. I don't think they'd be able to license it, since it's not technically Sabaton's song. There's also not quite enough remaining ww2 Sabaton songs to fill up another music pack.

Reactions:
The Soviet Union should never send Volunteer Divisions to China on historical mode. That never happened and it's absolutely ridiculous to see up to 16 strong Soviet Divisions (including armored) in China fighting Japan. It's not fair for Japan either. The USSR basically sent only aircraft (and possibly pilots?) to help China. And their aid stopped in August 1941 after Germany invaded the USSR. The Soviets never aided the Chinese Communists because Stalin viewed Japan as a threat and didn't want to weaken the Chinese National government.

@podcat @Archangel85 @Arheo

I think USSR should. I also find this amendment sensible as long as I understand it correctly.

If China is on the verge of losing the war, we are already in an ahistorical result. In such a situation, it seems logical that the USSR, in conflict with Japan, wouldn't want to lead to the collapse of China. Especially since the USSR can only send volunteers to start Barbarossa.

It's also better than sending volunteers right after the war starts.

Reactions:
I believe what was stated by Mr. Lind shortly after the announcement of this DLC is that, there will be no more BIG DLC's like MTG or NSB but instead small to medium size DLC's to focus on areas that have not been touched such as Middle East, Scandinavia , South America etc. that have no dedicated focus trees.
While I agree Finland needs attention, I think them including it in a Scandinavian DLC is much more logical, even though there was a short war between SOV and FIN, with the direction Gold Studio is going with HOI now, ahistorical seems to be dominating rather than a railroaded WWII sim and a focus tree for FIN relating to other Scandinavian countries makes more sense.
We needed a SOV focus tree sooner than FIN and they can't do everything at once. But we also need an Italy focus tree as well...

Podcast did not say that, it only said that they changed the priorities after the Italian rework and that it would focus on smaller DLCs to increase the cadence of its own flavor towards medium or small nations but never said that they would rule out large DLCs but surely they would not be the most common but another type resources and we remember that there are still many mechanics reworked in a deep way

Beautiful! One suggestion, though, I believe that adding any reference for the Blue Division for the eastern front would be nice. I know in the francoist focus tree, there's a focus refering to that division. Maybe one track of music, or having an event for Germany demanding volunteers from Spain is some added realism that would be good.

Regardless, excellent work! The models are superb and the music already added are some immersive renditions.

Reactions: