• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Heckman

Corporal
32 Badges
Sep 21, 2017
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I have been playing this game for a while and have only now noticed how uncanny-valley Hitler's portrait is.
1482495482907.png

His face is very unsettling. His right eye seems severely messed up. There seems to be a blemish on his nose that is not there in the portrait that this was based on. His chin also seems to be a bit lumpy. In short, I believe he needs a new portrait. I am incapable of unseeing these flaws.
adol-hitler-portait.jpg

(actual portrait for comparison)

Maybe not a new portrait, but some edits.

The more I compare the portraits the worse it gets. PDX should definitely edit or redo the in-game portrait.

Didn't Hitlers portrait have an iron cross instead of a tie initially but the community bitched so much about fixing his portrait that it was changed?

Didn't Hitlers portrait have an iron cross instead of a tie initially but the community bitched so much about fixing his portrait that it was changed?
Yes.

I do not want to nitpick, but at the place of the tie it would have to be a "Knight´s Cross (of the Iron Cross)" as the "normal" Iron Cross was worn at the breast ;-)

Honestly, all three of the Axis leaders need their portraits redone. I would say that the Hitler portrait is really the best of a bad bunch, with Old Benito in the middle and the Emperor as what might be the worst portrait in the game. Really, Hirohito looks like a chubby, cheeked goblin-man with a excess of chin. So I say redo all three of them.

Hitler never won the Knight's Cross... he used a tie, and wore the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class of WWI

I don't know. The original portrait is sort of an air-brushed, soft-filter, romantic depiction of Der Führer, in which he comes across as someone's benevolent grandfather. It is perhaps not the best source to take at face value (meaning I like the fact they hardened him up a bit).

The Cardenas portrait that we're getting, on the other hand, is a vast improvement. (Not that the original was inaccurate, I just prefer the angle of the new one.)

Last edited:
Meh..either way I still would only get a blackened one, so moot point for me...because 'The ultimate EEEEEEEVIIIIL (TM) must not be seen in Germany!' (now try to dub this with the Fwiffo way of talking - if you know what I am referring)

Meh..either way I still would only get a blackened one, so moot point for me...because 'The ultimate EEEEEEEVIIIIL (TM) must not be seen in Germany!' (now try to dub this with the Fwiffo way of talking - if you know what I am referring)
You could use a mod which replaces the shadows with the original arts. ;)

I disagree. The portrait is accurate to the one it was
based upon.
View attachment 414066
View attachment 414067

And I disagree with their choice of source material. If they are going to replicate a photo-like image of someone they should use photographs or artwork of them what was in contemporary circulation. i.e The artwork of all the starting leaders should use a portrait from between the late 1920's to late 1930's.

gettyimages-134362921-1024x1024.jpg

As you can see from this French magazine cover (I used this because it is dated from 1936, the game's start date) contemporary images of the Emperor show him as a youngish man with smooth skin and no excess in the the chin area. En-fact they used this image or one like it as the picture for the focus 'Showa Restoration' under the support the Kohoda faction branch. It should be remembered that in 1936 the Emperor was only 35 years old (note that Benito Mussolini was 53 and Adolf Hitler was 47) and relatively healthy looking. It should also be noted that he lived until 1989. The portrait used makes him look like a man of twice those years and unhealthy to boot.

And while we're at it, I think Paradox gave Churchill a bit too much hair (This one's more of a nitpick than a serious grievance).
36tnhtg02u8x.jpg

WinstonChurchill.jpg

Last edited: