Hidden Espionage Ideas functionality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KRBLACK

Colonel
1 Badges
Oct 7, 2016
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Hey everyone!

I have complained a lot that espionage ideas should get ''allow fabricating claims bordering claims''.

So, colour me surprised when I just found out that ''allow fabricating claims for subjects'' idea also allows fabricating claims bordering claims (but only for the vassals' claims!

Just wanted to put it out there, in case anyone else overlooked this feature

20210302232853_1.jpg
20210302232910_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I can't reproduce that. Does the vassal maybe have the claims-bordering-claims ability? Or some other ability which allows that fabrication(e.g. exploration ideas)?
No it is age of reformation, and the claims are being produced in Europe.

Though I have now noticed that I too can now fabricate bordering claims....

The first time I checked my vassal already had a claim, which is why I thought I could not fabricate on that province. (Which led me to believe I could not fabricate bordering claims)

Edit: try unlocked the age 1 ''claim bordering claims'' ability AND espionage ideas. Then set the age to reformation and check if it still works

Interesting, I've always thought this was best in espionage thematically. I doubt this was intended, unless it was in patch notes I missed. But IMO this makes espionage somewhat more competitive as an option to save DIP in SP. Prior to imperialism anyway.
That is IF this is not a bug. Someone else stated it could not be reproduced.

Please try it out in your game and see if it works. The mechanic is quite janky. I confirmed that it does not work with your own claims.

But this is actually how it works, espionage ideas are incredibly good now. That is in part to the improved vassal play with nobility estate privilege.

on a sidenote: are you Utrecht? What was your strategy?
Yes it is Utrecht.

Strategy was trying my ''holy trinity'' idea groups but with a nation that has 10% siege ability. Inno and espionage are considered quite poor groups, but these three synergize very well together. Also, the 3 policies they provide are 1 from each category, since the first one free this saves you a bit of points early on.
1. Innovative
2. Espionage
3. Offensive
This gives you very cheap advisors (if they are of ruler culture). You can get full level 5 advisors quite early, which was meant to mitigate the poor ruler stats for theocracies.

But the main point is stacking obscenely high siege ability.
20% offensive
10% offensive inno policy
10% utrecht ideas
20% spy network
20% army professionalism

10% religious quality policy (though this is so late into the game it does not really matter much anymore)