• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Frontenac

Captain
58 Badges
May 1, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I don't like the way the game handles heresy right now. One bad thing is that there seems to be no way to revert the heretics to the one true faith. The other one is that heresy seems to have no practical consequences. But we all know that heresy would usually result in social chaos, many of the new faiths being vehemently against the rich, gain the church or against the state. Revolts of massive shifts in loyalty would follow. The worst thing is that heresy would often spread to neighbouring provinces.

This could, I believe, be simulated through a series of dedicated province or cross-province events, where the condition "heresy=yes" or something like that is met. I cannot script this myself, but perhaps some other will be inspired by these suggestions of events.

1. Economy set to "Struggling". To simulate Tax revolts and the like.
2. Random religious building destroyed. To simulate iconoclasm and the like.
3. Random religious tech lost. To simulate that the Church is losing ground.
4. Power shifts. Heresies would often favour peasants or burghers; they were generally anti-church and very often against nobility as well.
5. Heresy spread. A bit like cultural spread, but faster; cultural and social similarities would make thi easier.
6. Conversion of heretics. Like religious conversion, but faster. Would make heresy spread easier.
7. Heretic revolt. In this event, at least one county (and perhaps some others, if neighbours are heretic, too) becomes independent and religion is set to "Pagan" (normal conversion rules apply after that). This, in turn, allows for a Crusade to be lauched, just as in southern France in the 1220-1230's.

These events can apply to either Christian or Mulim Pagans. What do you think of the general concept?

Frontenac said:
5. Heresy spread. A bit like cultural spread, but faster; cultural and social similarities would make thi easier.
6. Conversion of heretics. Like religious conversion, but faster. Would make heresy spread easier.
I think that #5 and #6 are already in the Paradox events.

richvh said:
I think that #5 and #6 are already in the Paradox events.

Cool! Less work for modders... I'd like to do it myself, but I'm not much of a programmer and the time for to make sense of the script language (let alone writing the first event) any of you would have written the entire set. And I'm rather busy right now.

But the basic question remains: Is any one else interested? Am I the only one to think this would be a significant enhancement to play and "era flavour"?

1. can be added via editing the province effects file (don't recall the name now, it's the one which includes all the degrees of prosperity and has heresy as well). All the rest can be coded through appropriate events. I can give it a go at some point if no-one else does it sooner.

Number 1 can be done through event as well:
Code:
effect = {
  type = prosperity
  value = -4
}
is guaranteed to set the province prosperity to struggling.

After looking at the heresy events, there are only two at present for provinces and two for rulers (become heretical, recant for each) and the return to the fold event for provinces is, I think, broken - it only fires if the ruler is not of the same religion as the province. There is not, at present, a spread event for heresy.

#2 is easy, though it would need several events 'remove_improvement'

#3 would need several events but 'remove_province_effect' can do that.

#4 can be done by changing power shifts for clergy and nobility by -1.0 - -.01. Same thing with the loyalty, though probably for everyone (as hereasy isn't always confided to just the lower classes, but least for clergy though.

#7 can be done by changing religion type with 'set_to_realm_religion' although i don't know if that should nessarily force a breakaway nation.

Last edited:
Thank your for your interest.

One thing that must be stressed: heresies were relatively quick affairs. They would normally emerge, spread, create social chaos and be repressed relatively quickly, in about 5 to 20 years. The MTTH of the various events should reflect that.

If an event cannot create an independant state, it can at least set all its loyalty values to zero - that should result in a quick revolt and do the same trick. Plus the change religion to pagan thing, of course.