Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 53 - 2D Art

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another change from hoi3 is a more detailed and decorated look and feel, the general windows have this gritty and dark look so the more saturated or detailed icons will pop out more! Speaking about icons, since we skipped the photos this time we knew there would be a lot of them but i was never prepared on the scale of it. The game kept growing and growing and HoI4 now has over 1200 tech, idea and focus icons combined. Over 420 leader portraits and over like 1600 or something different UI elements.

Compared to HoI2/Darkest Hour it´s actually an improvement. I couldn´t image the amount of work needed to recreate almost 30k Leader Portraits the way it´s done in HoI4

Well done!

Reactions:
On modding:
Do you have any recommendation of a good free image editing software that will allow you to edit all 2D art in HoI4 without running into compatibility or quirky format issues?
I know I wasn't asked but maybe you'll find this helpful, I really love the software "Krita" which I use almost as often as photoshop.

Reactions:
All techtree equipment icons are centered from their centerposition x-wise, so there is no need for padding (ie empty space) anymore. Just make sure they´ll fit in the backgrounds and you should be good :) For example the german Maus is 128 pixels wide and the panzer 1 is 74 pixels wide.

Thank you very much, I'm more excited in modding Hoi IV than playing :p:D
Really good work!!!!

How about my 3 questions on page 1?
This would be very essential for me in customizing the game:p

Reactions:
Wow!!! :eek:

So here I can post my partially unanswered modding questions:

1) Can I mod country specific ship profiles, also different for the 4 tech Levels? --> Seems to be yes
2) Can I mod country specific tank profiles for the variants of TD, SP-AA and SP-Arty (like Hummel Profile for the Pz.IV Sp-Arty variant)? ---> not sure
3) Can I mod country specific airplane profiles for the carrier variant? ---> not sure
4) Can I mod variant specific profiles for ships, tanks, planes? (f.e. Bf-109 has different Profile than my newly created Bf-109 G) ---> not sure, some Kind of predesigned pool necessary

like this:
Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 52 - Modding

Short answers ;P
1) Yes!
2) not in yet to my knowledge, but will be eventually, prolly sooner than later though. Maybe @Havebeard or @Guraan can aswer this
3) Yes!
4) Sadly no, but im guessing this will find it´s way into the game at some point ;)

Reactions:
Thanx @Sideburnout.

Hopefully 2) and 4) will be soon possible with the first "DLC-Patch-anyway thingie" ;)

@Sideburnout some icons are just empty/black. Is this temporary or not?

EDIT:
Short answers ;P
1) Yes!
2) not in yet to my knowledge, but will be eventually, prolly sooner than later though. Maybe @Havebeard or @Guraan can aswer this
3) Yes!
4) Sadly no, but im guessing this will find it´s way into the game at some point ;)

Awww... wee needz variant pictures!!! Please make sure, we can have (mod) them! :)

Reactions:
Love the interfaces hate the map what can I say.

Edit actually that is not correct I hate the sprites but the map is not that bad except for the trees,the rivers, the mountains the city textures and of course the night and day cycle.

Reactions:
You seem really enthusiastic about this, which is great. I can't express enough how happy I am that you're not some bland artist who's been hired and told to "draw some tanks" before being locked away in a back room.

Reactions:
Without the plan of making you redundant, but how do you design tanks like that?
I'm really sorry for asking this, but it always annoys me when mods/custom content add stuff to the game that doesnt fit in and you can clearly tell that it was a different author.

Such nice work with the art!

I m impressed with the ammount of very skilled people working on this game: the looks, the music, the concepts, simplification & streamlining, improved multiplayer, ... just about everything seems to be going good!

You guys rock!

As a treat why don't u have a look at a favourite artist of mine :p

Last edited:
Reactions:
Short answers ;P
1) Yes!
3) Yes!

If you can do 3. why not 2 ? i would assume that the carrier submodels use the same functionality as the tank submodels.

Nice stuff. Thanks for the wallpapers!

2D art is one of the more important aspects of PDS games. I don't envy you your job. Good work.

Also, I want your avatar so badly.

A little small, but I got what you need comrade.

Attachments

• volksturm.jpg
    volksturm.jpg
    10,8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions:
That's a very short Type VII..... has it had its nose cut off or was it the runt of the litter?

But yes they are gorgeous.