Hearts of Iron IV - 40th Development Diary - 15th of January 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't understand your reasoning. They made a beta submission in December so they clearly think the game is close to beta. What are you basing your prediction on?

Ejones said he would think 2016 Q4 is reasonable, G-sus answered, that Q4 surely not, so if not Q3 2016, the logical answer is Q1 2017.
However, I would be the happiest, if you were right, and the game would be released Q1 or Q2 2016.

Reactions:
So do I understand it correctly that we will be able to build industry as before, but now there is a cap on how much industry a region can have?

I would be a shame to not be able to build industry; that would particularly weaken the playability of the smaller countries. I always found it to be one of the big weaknesses of hoi3 that a smaller country could never be as good at one of the major powers.

Larger countries with more people and better infrastructure should be able to have more industry than smaller countries with less people and less infrastructure. Also if you start with a strong industry it will be easier to build more because you use industry to build more industry. If you want a strong minor it will probably be very easy to mod.

To answer your question: There was always a cap. The earlier cap was calculated based on several different parameters like population, infra and stuff that wasn't easy to understand. The cap now is based on a region "development level" which I suspect is based on the previous cap, but a lot easier to understand for the player.

Reactions:
See, thats the verb form, which subtly carries slight different meaning.

Anyway, both words are less than perfect. The best word to use is abstruse. Which nobody uses, but thats the proper word to use in this case.

Agreed, "abstruse" is better than both. Although the original question was whether "obtuse" or "obscure" was better, relatively speaking.

Thanks! This definitely satisfied my needs :)

One question: Will, for example Malta, still count as an enclave if it is conquered and maybe annexed by Spain or will there be a way to change region types?

Edit: Question
You mean Gilbratar?

Welcome to another development diary for Hearts of Iron IV. This week we look at some of the changes that has been done to the game lately.

In december, we completely revised how you get factory slots in the game, as the previous system of three different caps, depending on hidden formulas for manpower & infrastructure was too obtuse for players, and impossible to balance.

aUmUoqU.jpg

Now the system is much more clear. Each state is set to a regiontype, which defines the basic amount of factory slots it has. Then we have various national focuses which will add to the cap of factory slots in a state, and finally there are various techs that give percentage bonus to how many factories a state can have.

Code:
Megalopolis Region        12
Metropolis Region         10
Dense Urban Region         8
Urban Region               6
Sparse Urban Region        5
Developed Rural Region     4
Rural Region               2
Pastoral Region            1
Enclave                    0
Tiny Island                0
Wasteland                  0

Some examples: Svealand is an urban region, Amazonas a wasteland, and Greater London Area is a Megalopolis Region. Gibraltar is an enclave, and Gotland is a small island.

We also changed the State mapmode to colorise the states depending on which regions they belong to.

YJc31hq.jpg

World Tension was introduced back in the 16th development diary. It was then just a number in the topbar, with a clunky tooltip explaining it. Now it has a graphical indication as well, and opens up a detailed window, where you can view all active impacts on World Tension, and sort them.

JLpQvQ5.jpg

Next week, we’ll talk about command groups and also about leader traits.

Oh no! What is ist about the Region Hannover??? There was no region like this in 1936! Only the 'Herzogtum Braunschweig-Lüneburg' and later on the Gau Braunschweig. Please be more historical!!

Reactions:
Oh no! What is ist about the Region Hannover??? There was no region like this in 1936! Only the 'Herzogtum Braunschweig-Lüneburg' and later on the Gau Braunschweig. Please be more historical!!

You're missing the point. In-game regions are not supposed to represent real-life administrative divisions.

Reactions:
Can someone answer for me how the factory caps work in relation to civilian versus military factories? If for instance there are 10 factory slots, does that mean 10 civilian and 10 military, or do i have to make a choice of how i want to balance that, so say 6 civilian, 4 military to get to 10 total. Do shipyards take up factory slots or is that a separate overall cap? I heard that we can convert civilian factories over to military, but how lengthy and difficult is that process?

Can someone answer for me how the factory caps work in relation to civilian versus military factories? If for instance there are 10 factory slots, does that mean 10 civilian and 10 military, or do i have to make a choice of how i want to balance that, so say 6 civilian, 4 military to get to 10 total. Do shipyards take up factory slots or is that a separate overall cap? I heard that we can convert civilian factories over to military, but how lengthy and difficult is that process?
It's a bit like building slots in EU4. Refineries, forts, dockyards, mil factories, civ factories all takes up 1 slot, so you'll need to balance..

Reactions:
Why not?? Does it cost something to create accurate historical regions?
"Province", "state", and "region" borders in the PDX games are divided up for best gameplay, not for realism. It's like how the "states" in the USA don't correspond to the actual US States. It's more of a broad set of broad terms; keep in mind they're covering the entire world.

Reactions:
Why not?? Does it cost something to create accurate historical regions?

Because real life administrative regions were created for administration and states in HoI 4 were created for enjoyable gameplay.

(and yeah, doing a worldwide map on administrative region boundaries isn't exactly free)

There is no population changes modelled in the game. Plus the region type represents more than just population numbers. A developed rural state covering a large area might still have millions of people there. Issues like the infrastructure, education levels and access to skilled workers are all important. You can't simply drop a dockyard in Papua New Guinea and expect to recruit 20,000 local workers to build a battleship. You need skilled welders, boilermakers, electricians, plumbers, draughtsmen, planners, naval architects, managers...

And you need access to steel, not just as a national resource, but ideally have a local steel works which can produce the quality of steel plates required. And that in turn needs access to iron ore and coal, lots of it.

This is why some states might start with 7 and can grow to 10, even without NFs or industrial research. While other areas might start with 1 and just can't grow at all.

Reactions: