Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour – Developer Diary 3 – Battle Plans, Multiplayer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If this were an interface into the AI ........

Draw up your plans and have them compiled into a lua script ............ WOW !!!!!

The Battle Plan Overlay will be much used :D

I see that this was used for a land battle plan. Can this feature be used for Naval and Air battle plans as well?

yes. it works everywhere and there are icons you can place for carriers etc

Thanks for the reply and I did assume as such but I'm sure most know the saying about when one Assumes.

And please hurry and get this out. If it takes too much longer the wife will tell me I have to wait and put on the Xmas list and I don't think I can wait till Christmas.:laugh:

Please don't take this the wrong way. Features like this are nice and they are appreciated. And here comes the but. BUT, what about some of the major issues we talk about like naval combat (subs/cv's) AI capability, changing support units, naval/air HQ chains, major bugs (see 3.062 tech forums), etc. I know these aren't flashy but they impact us the players much more.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Features like this are nice and they are appreciated. And here comes the but. BUT, what about some of the major issues we talk about like naval combat (subs/cv's) AI capability, changing support units, naval/air HQ chains, major bugs (see 3.062 tech forums), etc. I know these aren't flashy but they impact us the players much more.
In my experience Paradox always put alot of work in for example the AI every expansion and most patches, they just don't present them, since they as you say are not so "flashy" and don't sell as well.

At least that is what comparing HoI3 vanilla AI to patched FTM AI tells me! :)

If anyone succesfully integrates the battle plan with the AI it might just be the single greatest thing this game has :D

Any other paradox game needs a battle plan addition for more painting on maps ;)

Wow, you can create battle plans for naval and air units as well. I must say that this expansion is turning out better than I expected. I'm not holding my breath but hopefully y'all will do something about creating HQ's for naval and air units as well, but like I said I'm not holding my breath over it.

If anyone succesfully integrates the battle plan with the AI it might just be the single greatest thing this game has :D

As Podcast sais: "yes its for keeping track of your plans, or to discuss in multiplayer. Its not an interface to the AI"

So it's only a visual tool. has nothing to do with actually having a better AI.

As Podcast sais: "yes its for keeping track of your plans, or to discuss in multiplayer. Its not an interface to the AI"

So it's only a visual tool. has nothing to do with actually having a better AI.

Which is why I said that it be the greatest thing ever in HOIII to have someone integrate it into AI functioning ;)

Battleplans, are they like the strategic overlay in Civ4 where you can paint around but no real gameplay effects or will the AI be able to use it for directing attacks?

I really like the look of this.

Will there be any type of ruler tool so you can see distances you expect your units to travel? This would be especially useful for air and naval units to be able to see if they will be able to reach a specific target province, cant tell you the number of times I've tried to launch an invasion only to discover at the last minute that my troopships are based too far away..... A schoolboy error I know but still.

And plus 1 for the idea of making the weather and VP map modes overlays as well

the battleplan system doesn't interact with the AI YET. But I would bet pennies to dollars that it will. Podcast seemed to hint at it in an earlier post. He placed the word "yet" in italics. Besides...I think they know that all of us would love it. I am counting on it.

I'm surprised that nobody posted the most important thing here.

1253637441-admiral_ackbar.jpg

Battle plan is culmination of long strategy game evolution.

My congratulations to all involved in development of this ,and I believe international community of armchair generals are welcoming this great event,the grand strategy genre is one step closer to perfection.

Its is the highest point of strategy immersion any grand strategy ever reached,and should be celebrated.

Salute!

Last edited: