• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would all the Fanbois who keep telling me that Vicky is perfectly capable of modelling WW1 please read this.

Unfortunately this is true, as it gets into the latter period the game gets less realistic, but thats not really a lack of effort as much as the fact that it gets much more complex to simulate the early 20th century than the early-mid 19th century.

Unfortunately this is true, as it gets into the latter period the game gets less realistic, but thats not really a lack of effort as much as the fact that it gets much more complex to simulate the early 20th century than the early-mid 19th century.

As well as the fact, that by 1914 the game has been running for 53 years, each time crating an unique version of the early XXth century, so even if the mechanics were much more adequate for replicating the XXth century (and there's no doubt that they are much more suited for the early-to-mid game), the chance of the Great War happening and playing out as it did are next to none.

Still, the mention of ideas for many more expansions gives hope ^.^ And makes me even more ready to buy this one, knowing that upon it's success depends whether or not the next one will be happening.

Basically the devs had a choice as to which era to optimise game-play for, and they picked the Crimea/ACW/German wars of unification period. Nothing wrong with this choice per se, but it does mean that WW1 simply can't happen even if you create a 1914 scenario since the mechanics of mid 19th century warfare were totally different to those of WW1.

As well as the fact, that by 1914 the game has been running for 53 years, each time crating an unique version of the early XXth century, so even if the mechanics were much more adequate for replicating the XXth century (and there's no doubt that they are much more suited for the early-to-mid game), the chance of the Great War happening and playing out as it did are next to none.

Still, the mention of ideas for many more expansions gives hope ^.^ And makes me even more ready to buy this one, knowing that upon it's success depends whether or not the next one will be happening.

I may still buy this expansion, but I really don't believe they will release a WW1 expansion because no mere expansion could alter Vicky enough to model WW1. To do that would require a new game.

A question that just occurred to me: How does a partially island state count? Could a Canny/Cruel British player render Hannover less useful as a port by ensuring that Heligoland has the highest level navelbase when Germany acquires it, thus keeping the base on the tiny island, and disconnected from the capitol, incapable of building capitol ships?

There are a small few other places where similar things are possible, including, I believe, on in Korea and another in Jahore.

A question that just occurred to me: How does a partially island state count? Could a Canny/Cruel British player render Hannover less useful as a port by ensuring that Heligoland has the highest level navelbase when Germany acquires it, thus keeping the base on the tiny island, and disconnected from the capitol, incapable of building capitol ships?

There are a small few other places where similar things are possible, including, I believe, on in Korea and another in Jahore.

Britain wouldn't be able to build that port on Helgoland in the first place, as it is not connected to the capital region by a straight, as is seen by Ireland.

Britain wouldn't be able to build that port on Helgoland in the first place, as it is not connected to the capital region by a straight, as is seen by Ireland.

You can't build capital ships overseas, but you can build Naval Bases (unless I missed something).

Will sea battles take less time with the new changes? I always found it odd that battles lasted long enough to massively reenforce fleets from harbours several seazones away.

Will sea battles take less time with the new changes? I always found it odd that battles lasted long enough to massively reenforce fleets from harbours several seazones away.
really, i often find they are to short even when there isnt a big difference in the numbers, mainly in the early game.

The naval tactical change looks promising but no change at the naval operational level means that the game remains a "1805 big gun simulator" many years after the development of mines and torpedoes makes the close blockade unfeasible and the big gun battle increasingly unlikely. Thus replicating the RJW or the WW1 North Sea or Adriatic blockade, with their operational level operations driven by mine warfare, even in the most simple sense remains out of reach. The game needs to model a reason for small unit operations. Listing out every single sortie of the RJW and why they occurred would be a good starting point from which to figure out how to model modern warfare in a simple and fun game. However, if you are going to do it, you may as well "do it right" another time. Until then.

Mowers

Actually, there were large scale big gun battles in those times. Like battle of Vis (Lissa) in 1866 between Austria and Italy (also it was the last battle to use ramming tactics).

Actually, there were large scale big gun battles in those times. Like battle of Vis (Lissa) in 1866 between Austria and Italy (also it was the last battle to use ramming tactics).
Believing the History Network Podcast's episode on the Battle of Juntland, gun battles happened even during WW1.

So, let me get this straight:
The largest "potential" ship building capacity belongs to USA, then Russia, then China, then India, then Spain, then France, then UK, then Italy, then Germany, and so forth?
How can UK even hope to have the strongest navy in the world, if it can be outbuild by pretty much everyone?
UK tended to have double the fleet of second strongest naval nation. Also how about Germany, after unification it got a very strong navy despite the very limited coastline.

I think the better solution is twofold. First, Shipyards should be believably expensive, and the materials costs should really track to what you're building.

Second, coastal ports should have a value to reflect their ability to be used as a port/shipyard. Some places really suck to build a harbor and shipyard. Some are impossible. A few are fantastic. This is one reason things happen in particular geographies and not in others.

I'm just uncomfortable with arbitrary limitations such as one port per state. You get cookie cutter results don't track well with what we know about the world.

Seriously, no nation spams shipbuilding facilities as they are fantastically expensive. This is why most nations buy their ship from someone else.

And again, ships should be marketable or transferable by negotiation because this is mostly what happens. In the late 19th century China purchased advanced warships. Older US ships from WWII were sold to Argentina.

Another issue for ships is the quality of the steel that is used in the hulls. Ship design is also a learning experience. The battle of Jutland was more informative on ship design than any research.

No, you need to be able to sell the finished product to a client state that can't build it. That's the value of it.

Even when all you need to build a ship is to hack down some trees, there's still a huge support infrastructure.

If you'd like a good feel for it read the Master and Commander series.

And here's a link to one of the the ships the series is based upon.

Which brings up the issue of ships supporting shore operations and being able to fire their cannons at forts, towns and other installations. It's missing. Forts and cannons should be able to fire on ships. So should planes when they are available.

Capture of ships and merchants is missing. Well for that matter logistics is missing, but that's another issue.

Again, it's important to be coherent in adding game features and use the methods within the game as opposed to arbitrary assignments. Think about what makes a port usable, the costs of shipyards. Make upgrades to new technology have a cost. Make sure that money is transferred to pops and institutions, not burned on the currency alter.

Last edited:
This is what I want for EU4