• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've always thought that limiting troop type would be good for it - Primary culture = guards, Accepted = regular, Everyone else = irregular.

It's somewhat ahistorical but it would stop countries like UK having huge regular army based on Indian pops.

Except who they can fight will always be an issue, if you are AH and are not dealing with any other rebels, a army full of irregulars would be more than sufficient to put down a rebellion in one of your provinces. The whole reason they formed AH is so that they had two loyal ethnic groups through whom they control control the various other nationalities. But they can easily survive the entire game without taking the decision, and honestly they need to be forced to by circumstances.

I've always thought that limiting troop type would be good for it - Primary culture = guards, Accepted = regular, Everyone else = irregular.

It's somewhat ahistorical but it would stop countries like UK having huge regular army based on Indian pops.

I would agree with this.

I read ideology already plays a role, just curious for more details..

Does your ruling parties policy positions feed into crisis?

For example, if I pick a Jingoistic Greek party, will I get more event inciting the crisis claiming lands within the Ottoman Empire?
Or perhaps, as is the case in some Balkan states, if I have the Russian Faction Party [haven't checked to see if anything has changed in AHD] will Russia be more likely to support my move?

Just like cabinets are led by ministers and administered by staff, diplomatic relations depend heavily on personal relations, and not to mention heads of states! However each game has to make some abstractions, so as far as leaders go it would be unreasonable to have more detail concerning personalities ....

Not really. HoI made a minor start with actually listing leaders and having a mechanism for changing them. I'd be more impressed with this feature if they centered the AI around the leaders and have the nation as a vehicle for the leaders to get what they wanted.

This way, if you can't deal directly with the leader, you could work on his cabinet. Or fund an opposition political party. Or you could be in danger of losing your puppet if the wrong guy is in line for power. (see Britain's war with Zanzibar) It would allow countries a rational for changes in policies.

A lot of what happens only makes sense when you factor in the personalities, abilities and goals of leaders. Developing decision making for AI leaders is where I'd really like to see PI devote their efforts.

And it makes for a more interesting, more personalized game.

Not really. HoI made a minor start with actually listing leaders and having a mechanism for changing them. I'd be more impressed with this feature if they centered the AI around the leaders and have the nation as a vehicle for the leaders to get what they wanted.

This way, if you can't deal directly with the leader, you could work on his cabinet. Or fund an opposition political party. Or you could be in danger of losing your puppet if the wrong guy is in line for power. (see Britain's war with Zanzibar) It would allow countries a rational for changes in policies.

A lot of what happens only makes sense when you factor in the personalities, abilities and goals of leaders. Developing decision making for AI leaders is where I'd really like to see PI devote their efforts.

And it makes for a more interesting, more personalized game.

is the expansion adding cabinets??

I doubt it, just something HoI does.

Maybe I'm tired and this has been answered, and I should mention that I haven't played VicII for a while.

1. Which nations infamy cost modifier will be used?
Ie: I have as Italy started "manufacturing claim" on whatever state is Slovenia now. And as far as I remember, that will decrease my infamy cost.
Will that change the cost for Russia to use wargoal for me aquiring that state as a bribe to get me in on a crisis vs Austria?
If I have cores on whatever Austrian states. Is the wargoal "aquire cores" available for the Russians to bribe me with?
As Sardinia-Piedmont, can I give France whatever "Cavour's diplomacy" did if they back me vs Austria for Lombardy?

I'm sorry if this has been posted in this thread already and I've overlooked it, but will the crisis system in any way facilitate The Great Game?. Russia and Britain largely neglect the middle-east/east, while The Great Game is really one of the best examples of 'diplomatic wars' that V2 tries to emphasise. If not I suppose it's something that could be modded in.

Only one crisis at the same time, but there may be several pretty hot flashpoints. You cant switch sides once you have picked. We considered events that might let you do this but it has several balance issues that stops us from doing it at the moment.

How the hell am i gonna play as Italy if i can't switch sides during the war? It's like their thing. :D

How the hell am i gonna play as Italy if i can't switch sides during the war? It's like their thing. :D

What I'm hoping for with regards to Italy is to be able to use the crisis system to acquire Lombardy as Sardinia-Piedmont with the backing of France, this looks like this will be the system that finally makes succeeding like they did historically possible! As long as you can use flashpoints on cultural-union lands, that is...

As a hungarian, I want to ask, that this crisis system will include revolutions? Spring of nations, russian revolutions, uprisings, everything, based on historical events.

Crisis wars differ from normal wars somewhat, in that you cannot call in your Allies until the Great War era has begun, before that it is limited to only the nations directly involved in the Crisis.

This smells like broken/unprepared game mechanics, that can not model this in a nice way, so the solution is - "that is it, you just can't do that".

This smells like broken/unprepared game mechanics, that can not model this in a nice way, so the solution is - "that is it, you just can't do that".

Well, since in the early game at least, a crisis war is something you choose to get involved with, and then couldn't settle like a civilized person, so it kind of make sense.
And how does is smell of broken/unprepared mechanics? If you could call allies, then it would simply turn into great wars without the name.

I really hope Paradox provides a way for GPs to mediate the crisis without getting directly involved, that would give a lot more depth to the system if countries that haven't picked a side can offer solutions to the crisis, with a prestige bonus to them if they can get an acceptable compromise. Not every GP on the continent should be forced to pledge direct military intervention to one side or the other or risk losing prestige.