• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrReaper182

Captain
44 Badges
Feb 19, 2017
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
I've never once played vanilla HOI4 as I always play with mods such as the fallout mod, the WWW 1 mod, the Kisterrich mod or the Millennium dawn mod. So I'm just wondering how many other people have never played vanilla HOI4.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've never once played vanilla HOI4 as I always play with mods such as the fallout mod, the WWW 1 mod, the Kisterrich mod or the Millennium dawn mod. So I'm just wondering how many other people have never played vanilla HOI4.
The only total conversion mod I’ve played is my own, alt hist scenarios don’t really interest me so I tend to stixk with vanilla

Reactions:
I primarily play vanilla for achievements.

• 7Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I've never played a hoi4 mod

• 13Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
I usually play vanilla with Expert AI and a few QoL mods. I also like The Great War. I’ve tried Kaiserreich and I think it’s fantastic, but I generally like my games historical.

Reactions:
I would LOVE to play vanilla, if I could turn off non-focus faction joining (and if PDX would take care, that focus trees don't break with other focus trees).

At the moment, I'm only playing mods for that very reason. I find them to be much a more reliable game experience.

• 4Like
Reactions:
As I chose this game as a WW2 era experience (what did or could have happened) the only mods I play with are expert AI and some QoL mods. Never played with anything game changing. Essentially mods which should probably be part of the vanilla game anyway but aren't for some reason.

The game is pretty bad without mods...

• 5Like
Reactions:
I haven't played vanilla in many years. I like doing stuff like having a facist civil war in USSR, and playing the fascist side, or release a country, then play the new country. I always do that with a mod.

The game is pretty bad without mods...
I'm sure that their are many fantastic mods out there and I'm planning to play some of them at some point, but with several hundred hours of playtime I still don't feel like I have sufficiently explored and learned the base game. That's why I personally disagree with the statement that it is a bad game without mods.

Reactions:
I'm sure that their are many fantastic mods out there and I'm planning to play some of them at some point, but with several hundred hours of playtime I still don't feel like I have sufficiently explored and learned the base game. That's why I personally disagree with the statement that it is a bad game without mods.
That's why I would rather say: The basegame is pretty bad, if you are used to the high quality of mods. Give Kaiserreich a try (for starters), you will feel the difference in quality.

Regarding mechanics, they aren't too different. You can perfectly learn the game with (e.g.) Kaiserreich.

Reactions: