Has anyone called in allies in 1.33 beta only for them to sit idle?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mindel

General
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2018
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
As England, I called Aragon into the Hundred Years War... and they proceeded to sit there by the French border, completely idle.

A smaller stack of Aragonese were chilling out at Majorca doing nothing, and Naples was similarly staying put at home. France, for its part, stuck around Normandy and made no attempt to attack Aragon or Naples.

I don't believe I've ever seen anything like this happen before. Has anyone else experienced this in the 1.33 beta?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Oh no the AI is learning. It has clearly picked up the meta strategies and is employing them. Next patch it will used controlled bankruptcy to get out of debt

On a serious note.
Sorry haven't noticed that behavior yet (only one game so very small sample size from my side).

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Oh no the AI is learning. It has clearly picked up the meta strategies and is employing them. Next patch it will used controlled bankruptcy to get out of debt

In fact, the first thing I thought when I noticed this was "This is exactly what I would do if I were called into England's PU war". Well, except that I wouldn't station my stack right next to France.

But then I quickly concluded that this interpretation was a bit too charitable given the AI's track record.

Reactions:
I remember this being a thing in old versions of the game (circa 2013-2016?).

I had this happen a couple times in my Spanish beta game. What fixed it for me was restarting the game. That usually will wake the AI back up.

Reactions:
I had this happen a couple times in my Spanish beta game. What fixed it for me was restarting the game. That usually will wake the AI back up.
You mean 1.33 beta? If so, then I think this is something the devs will really want to hear more about and fix right away.

Relying on players to get around bugs by restarting is probably not a developer-acceptable level of performance.

I did notice that with muscovy when I did a small mp run with a friend he was bohemia and the russians did nothing althoug he had 50 troops nearly lost that war, because we (without the russians) had less troops than Poland and Lithuania.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be very unfortunate if this bug makes it into the final 1.33 patch. Allies not doing anything is seriously game-breaking. I wonder if it's happening in AI-only wars as well.

Reactions:
I did notice that with muscovy when I did a small mp run with a friend he was bohemia and the russians did nothing althoug he had 50 troops nearly lost that war, because we (without the russians) had less troops than Poland and Lithuania.
Did you give them objectives - siege a province?

Reactions:
I did notice some passiveness myself in one war, where I had Aragon as an ally against Castile and Portugal. Two thirds of his army just sat in Sicily for the whole duration of the war, and setting objectives or restarting the game did nothing to budge them, even though he had the ships and we had the naval superiority to return them to his mainland.

I have noticed this and it is annoying. It's also inconsistent. I notice it is especially bad with subjects, which makes me thinks the "improvement to strong duchies AI" they wrote in the patch notes might be the source of the problem. Subjects leave idle troops all over the place and they won't even combine them into armies.

I have noticed this and it is annoying. It's also inconsistent. I notice it is especially bad with subjects, which makes me thinks the "improvement to strong duchies AI" they wrote in the patch notes might be the source of the problem. Subjects leave idle troops all over the place and they won't even combine them into armies.
That just means the AI is more competent in granting the Strong Duchies privilege, it has nothing to do with AI behaviour. I usually set vassals to siege everything and blaze a trail/scare off the AI with my own stacks then I focus on fort sieges while they do the carpet sieging legwork on the rest of the enemy provinces.