Gustav II Adolf in Livonia and Polish Prussia, 1617-1629

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
5) I am a firm proponent of military evolution against military revolution, I am not alone in that BTW, if you want a bibliography on the subject I can provide it to you

In general evolution makes more sense than Revolution.

I think the important thing to note is that the Swedish army *adopted what it could* to suit the enemies and the challenges they were facing. They didn't have the money or the manpower to establish one "light" and one "heavy" cavalry arm, so they had to make the "budget" choice of a medium-cavalry that could fulfill both roles.

Sweden, in general, couldn't rely too much on cavalry: Hence reliance on musketry. (Which can be traced back to Erik XIV) A lot of times the question was simply "How to get the most amount of firepower out of the least amount of cash?" Because Sweden never could invest in anything that didn't work.

He threw together dutch-style infantry tactics (Which really had started with Erik XIV's reforms) adapted polish cavalry tactics, and emphasised Artillery. In no *individual step* was he revolutionary: But he took disparate elements and combined them into a system that was rather effective.

Unless I am mistaken, Sigismund III fell out of favor within 5 months following his coronation in Stockholm; the usurpation of duke Charles IX was favored by the Protestant majority

This is very hard to say. Karl could rely on his won duchy, he could rely on a fair bit of support from the priests, a lot of the pro-Sigismundian aristocracy simply didn't attend at the approporiate Riksdags, the burghers and the peasans were largely either passive or slightly pro-Karl, mostly becuase his relationship with the aristocracy was so atrocious.

If Karl could gather support among the lower classes it was mainly because Sigismund wasn't *there*. The peasantry was almost by reflex royalist: But a king that wasn't there to "protect them" against the aristocracy wasn't of much use. The religious dimension is probably secondary to the fact that Karl' managed to identify Sigismund with the aristocracy. Protestantism wasn't really entrenched enough yet to be able to mobilize people in that way.

Spartan JKM said:
..I've come across conflicting material Aryaman, unless you are referring to the tercio after its clashes with Mauritz and Gustavus. Unless I'm mistaken, the tercio was never shallower than 10 ranks deep before the mid 17th century, and was never reorganized on an equal pike-to-shot ratio until 1636 (I have read something concerning Spanish 'conservatism'). After Rocroi, it indeed saw extensions, shallower formations and diverse deployments (pikemen in front of gunmen, or in center flanked by gunmen etc.). It is from an ordinance of 1685 that has a tercio at 432 men (18 units of 24 men each, all 6 wide and 4 deep, excluding officers) and 4 ranks deep. Following the adage 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', the tercio stood omnipotent for nearly a century before effective flexible formations and field artillery entailed its changes, and after Rocroi the Spaniards were no longer dominant in NW Europe.The tercio was adopted by most European armies at the time of the early 17th century, and Tilly's attack units, as you accurately describe them, were indeed massed oblongs of pikemen with gunmen on the corners (just like the Mangas) for cover - a tercio. They most certainly were not more mobile than Gustavus' Swedish Brigade, which was dispersed into smaller, independently calculated squadrons, in which the pikemen protected the musketeers. The drill and discipline permeating through this great army of Gustavus' was not a handed-down bonus: he created this asset, and the flexibility of his organization allowed his men to form V-shaped salients of defense if needed, and T-shaped units for offensive action, in which the best use could be made of firepower; the musketeers could either advance to one side of the pikemen, or sub-divide to protect both sides. Of course they could instill shock power, mobility, and firepower synchronously; different arms working in conjunction, with specific objectives.
To answer that specifically
1) The royal ordinance of 1632 reorganised the structure and composition of the companies of a Tercio,
Composition of a Tercio of 15 companies
2 leading companies [11 officers, 159 harquebusiers and 30 musketeers]
13 line companies [11 officers, 69 pikemen, 120 musketeers]
That gives a total of 165 officers, 318 harquebusiers, 1.620 musketeers and just 897 pikemen.
Muster calls since late XVI century show the steady increase in shot with respect to pike, averaging a proportion in the general muster 1601 of 2 shot to 1 pike.

2) Tercio was used for Spanish units, and for Italian and Walloon units in Spanish service, German, English or Irish units were called regiments, as they were called in their own armies. A group of regiments brigaded together for battle sometimes was called a tertia, that has misled some modern historians.

3) Depth in ranks depend on what the commander intended to do, if on the attack units used to be deployed in deeper formations, for instance the Swedish army for the storming of Frankfurt-an-der-Oder in April 1631 deployed two deep assault columns supported by large squares of pikemen surrounded by musketeers, something you seem to credit as a "tercio", but it is just an assault formation.

Well, that's certainly a good and obvious point I overlooked Arilou, with regrards to Sigismund III: when one is *not there* it's very difficult to gain support for his/her cause.
...Protestantism wasn't really entrenched enough yet to be able to mobilize people in that way.
No? It'll take some digging, but I am sure, on the surface of it, Gustav Vasa officially proclaimed Sweden Protestantic in the 1520s/30s, influenced by the teachings of Petri (Oalus or Laurentius?). If it wasn't entrenched heavily in the 1590s, yet Gustavus Adolphus proclaimed himself the 'protector' of Protestantism by 1630, Protestantism must have really boomed in Sweden only under him.

As for revolution and evolution, it is very important to undersatnd (I'm hardly an expert) as to how war was prosecuted and maintained from the resources the combatants could secure and command etc.

By the time of the Battle of Nordlingen in 1634, the 'Swedish' army by this time was one of a nominal nature only. Remember, Gustavus landed in Pomerania 4 years earlier with only 13,000 of his core Swedes, which were immediately supported by the garrison of Stralsund, mainly Scots. The Swedes were but a handful, and many would have been with Gustav Horn on the Protestant right (south), who stormed the Allbuch hill (initially capturing it), and practically the rest would have been with Heinrich Matthias von Thurn's unit, which was sent, from the Protestant left/center line, by Bernhard to help Horn's plight, as he was failing in repeated cavalry attacks. It didn't help, and ultimately, we are told, the 'Swedes' lost 8,000 killed and 4,000 prisoner. Of those 12,000, how many can we conservatively guess were native Swedes? Less than half of them? Even less? Some accounts say the army was 19,000 total, but more seem to state 25,000 (16,000 infantry and 9,000 cavalry) total.

Whether Gustavus' personal presence, which so much was centered around, could have made a difference, the actuality that manifested was the Swedes were unable to establish sufficient support for his great army in Germany by 1632. After all, a primary impetus for their arrival was French subsidizing; Armand Richelieu woked hard to get Gustavus out of Poland and into Germany, and formed an alliance with Bernhard in 1635, bringing France into the 30 Years War. In May of 1633, Axel Oxenstierna 'admitted' that the wages of the Army in Germany were more than quadruple the amount of local contributions. Basically, what befell the Swedes was akin to what happened to the Spaniards in Flanders a generation earlier: a problem of distances covered and the cost of military intervention in foreign lands. Moreover, the premium of marshalling infantry firepower and improved artillery became more costly than ever. Geoffrey Parker tells us, in his The Military Revolution, Pg. 21,

"...Most wars in the century 1550-1650 were in fact decided by the relative financial strength (or weakness) of the various antagonists: it was very often a case of 'he who has the most money wins', as the Marquis of Aytona put it. In wars where the resources of the two sides were fairly equal, and the combatants obstinate, it might even take eighty years for a victor to emerge..."

Not long after the Battle of Lutzen, Oxenstierna extracted Swedish national troops, placing them back in the Baltic, and sending most of the mercenaries in Swedish service, here since 1630, back to Germany. Thus the Swedish conquests in the Rhineland were too be primarily maintained by Germans; resentment of Sweden didn't take long to foster; who can blame the peoples of Germany for resenting their lands being constantly overrun by foreigners. Furthermore, Bernhard, it seems, was claiming Lutzen as his personal triumph (fair argument: he did assume command and charge home tactically after Gustavus' death). Though he was denied the title of generalissimo of the Swedish forces, obviously his influence wasn't too weak, as the Protestant army at Nordlingen attacked a resolute and well-entrenched enemy, reinforced with the Tercios Viejos, with no supporting artillery barrage (the unlucky explosion in the ammunition wagons, which some cite as an 'excuse' given by Swedish-apologists, happened after they were thrown back and attacked by the Imperial cavalry). Horn, the Swede, supposedly advocated a delay until 6,000 approaching Germans under a Rheingraff arrived.

By 1635, the Swedes were mutineering for pay arrears, but Oxenstierna conciliated them with land grants, which included a license to loot. Bernhard benefited greatly form this policy. For better or worse, he was becoming another Wallenstein.

Unlike Mauritz van Nassau, whose outstanding reforms centered around improved flexibility wrought from drill and discipline, Gustavus did not fight his wars in his own land out of direct civil defense. Thus, though Gustavus brought to new heights tight discipline, extended infantry lines, the 'counter-march', mobile field artillery, and a national character amongst his core troops surrounded by soldiers of fortune etc., somebody - or something - had to pay for all this! With his death in the fog at Lutzen, the 30 Years War was destined to drag on for another 16 years. The French subsidy and the invaluable revenues gained from his Polish campaign sustained him well until 1632, but now increased suffiency was needed.

In 1630, for all in all, mercenaries comprised perhaps 1/2 the Swedish army; by 1631, 3/4; by 1632, when Gustavus' total forces in Germany were about 150,000 (I have read also up to 200,000), maybe as many as 9/10 were non-Swedes. After his death, in which attritional war would become more prominent, the domestic conscriptions functioned erratically, and the native replacements and mercenaries could not deliver the superb standards of drill and discipline required to effectuate the tactics of Gustavus. The Swedish Brigade was a brilliant instrument of war; never before, as I constantly reiterate, had one faced an army co-ordinating its cavalry, mobile field artillery, pikemen, and musketeers together with such precise cohesion, speed, and adaptability. It was worse for the Imperialists, as not only were they outgunned in quantity, the Swedish regimental guns contained fixed-ammunition cartridges, which resulted in 3 shots to 1 - on even terms! So the Imperialists were really, potentially, outfired by a count of 6 to 1! But it must be stated that Gustavus' methods were quickly adopted and adapted by his enemies, as everyone began strengthening their artillery, and the Battle of Nordlingen of 1634 proved that old-line methods could still prevail. The Spaniards did begin to fire with 2 ranks simultaneously.

But this demanded a high degree of discipline and a superb officer corps (NCO), not to mention that such a structure was remarkably effective only under a cerebral commander capable of juggling the arms in positive conjunction. The fact the Swedish Brigade was gone by 1634 illustrates that these very qualities were absent, a result primarily wrought from the economic issues. Remember, it was mostly an economic deterioration that brought the Roman Empire down; the 'barbarians' who marched into Italy at the beginning of the 5th century were scarcely opposed by field armies.

In his famous historical study of the 30 Years War, Johann Schiller, no fan of Gustavus Adolphus, tells us that 6,000 Swedes came directly from Sweden to join Bernhard and the Palatinate Christian of Birkenfeld, whom in turn were to junction with 4,000 from Saxony, all to meet up with the now-fugitive Wallenstein, who had recently lost the support of his army. This would have occured in early 1634. But most of the native Swedes probably stayed with Johan Baner while the Protestant army faltered at Nordlingen.

For all his qualities as the finest, in my opinion, commander of his age, Gustavus' ambition for Sweden may have been sought at an unsustainable cost; his system of conscription (Utskrivning), which brought about 10,000 men to the colors every year, saw the numbers of men between the 15-60 age range fall by perhaps half - in a country vastly underpopulated for this continuing military objective. Gustavus could have made a difference had he lived, but he certainly would have outlived, if not killed in battle or an 'accident', the condition of Germany as a Swedish province: the thought of Sweden controlling Germany for long is like a cat digesting an elephant! I'm sure he knew that.

But as we know, hindsight is 20/20, and maybe those embrolied in these events at the time have cataracts. Maybe Gustavus should have marched on Vienna after Breitenfeld, and not chase Tilly (though Vienna was not essential to the existence of the Habsburg monarchy as it was in the later days of Napoleon). Maybe had he not been killed the war would have ended sooner, as he must have known that the extravagances of his recruitments by 1632 could not be supported unless a rapid end to hostilities was achieved. The power of his commanding person was not unlike that of Hannibal, Caesar, or Suvorov, to cite a few of many examples. Maybe...maybe...maybe...

The Protestant forces at Nordlingen in early September, 1634 presumably numbered some 25,000 men. Whatever figures we may come across as the number of native Swedes, they are extrapolations, which can be gauged by the probability that it was already 2 years past the point that attrition (Gustavus would have sought more battles in the field) and constant warfare had depleted the great Swedish army of its significant ranks. True, the likes of Johan Baner, Lennart Torstensson (who avenged Nordlingen of 1634 against Matthias Gallas in 1642), and Karl Wrangel (with the great Turenne) achieved successes up until the Peace of Westphalia against the Imperialists, it was advanced more for Protestantism than for Sweden per se, and by now the 'Swedish army' was almost entirely composed of adventurers and now-more-dubious mercenaries. Certainly, the native Swedes at Nordlingen, 1634, were but a handful.

Thanks, Spartan JKM :)

In 1630, for all in all, mercenaries comprised perhaps 1/2 the Swedish army; by 1631, 3/4; by 1632, when Gustavus' total forces in Germany were about 150,000 (I have read also up to 200,000), maybe as many as 9/10 were non-Swedes.

It is important to note that many of those 200,000 where in fact not part of the forces of the "Swedish Army" (IE: those directly under the swedish Crown) but were actually troops lent by various principalities, like Saxony and Brandenburg.

The number of 150,000 was very much a coalition-force. Calling it a "Swedish Army" even in the sense of obeying under the crown of Sweden (and thus not drawing any conclusion about the nationality of the soldiers involved) is kind of hazardous.

For all his qualities as the finest, in my opinion, commander of his age, Gustavus' ambition for Sweden may have been sought at an unsustainable cost; his system of conscription (Utskrivning), which brought about 10,000 men to the colors every year, saw the numbers of men between the 15-60 age range fall by perhaps half - in a country vastly underpopulated for this continuing military objective. Gustavus could have made a difference had he lived, but he certainly would have outlived, if not killed in battle or an 'accident', the condition of Germany as a Swedish province: the thought of Sweden controlling Germany for long is like a cat digesting an elephant! I'm sure he knew that.

Here I think you are making anachronistic assumptions: Ol' Gurra was as much a german as any prince of the Empire: His first language was german, his mother was german, and he had spent much time in Germany. A large portion of his ruling-class were germans are baltic germans.

Nor do I think he ever had the plan of "Sweden controlling Germany", rather, of him putting himself as Emperor (of some sort) of a combined german-swedish "commonwealth" or alliance. While northern german would never bow to the King of Sweden they might be induced to do so to the house of Wasa.

Remember, we are still operating in a largely pre-nationalist age.

Spartan JKM said:
I have read differently regarding details of the Battle of Nieuwpoort; I dug into the works of Arie Van Deursen and Robert Jacobus Fruin, and found that Mauritz and Willem Lodewijk communicated by letter in 1595, addressing the famed Battle of Cannae. Lodewijk later wrote a treatise, titled Annibal et Scipion ou les Grands Capitains, which circulated considerably. What Mauritz achieved at Nieuwpoort indeed involved a page out of Hannibal's book, though he didn't concieve a formula for absolute destruction: 1 account says the Dutch were worsted in skirmishes and cornered on the beach by the Spaniards before the main battle; another states the Spaniards were worsted in the preliminary fighting at the bridge of Leffinge. Nobody denies that the Dutch didn't hold the field after the main battle. Mauritz had sent his ships away to preclude any chance of retreat, and fought the Spaniards using the Cannae infantry maneuver of falling back slowly without breaking formation or hindering the fighting capacity of the front lines - a maneuver very difficult to inculcate without prior years of methodical drill. Hour after hour the Dutch fell slowly back until the Spaniards began to tire. It seems that 2 factors aided greatly in Mauritz's tactical victory: wooden mats had been placed on the beach to prevent the Dutch guns, just 8 or 9 of them, from sinkinig into the sand while they moved their guns and fired them, while the Spanish guns could not do likewise. The 2nd factor was not that the Dutch cavalry showed up to 'save the day', but that they were held uncommitted by Mauritz until the decisive moment. Waiting for as long as possible, delivering more musketry fire than he received, Mauritz waited patiently until the Spaniards practically faltered with their forward surge. Now with the sun setting in their eyes, Mauritz hit them with his cavalry head on, scattering them in all directions. Clearly, Mauritz's system which included conditions of more continous volley fire than that of the Spaniards beared considerable fruit.
Ok, As I promised I have been checking my sources on the battle of Nieuport, none says anything about a "Cannae style" manouver. It is decisive in particular the testimony of Francis Vere in hi Commentaries, as you probably know, Vere was in command of the Dutch First infantry line, and he would be very interested in explain the falter of his command as a prearranged tactic, however he does not, instead he plainly admits that the English regiments in the left flank were routed and that he was only able to rally some companies behind the guns placed in the extreme left. He blames for that the late arrival of the reinforcements he had asked for, because the messangers he sent got lost, although some commentators see here a barely hidden critic to Maurice. In any case from his account it is very clear that the infantry was routed, that the cavalry reserve checked the advancing Spaniards and that the rest of the Spanish army was routed after his cavalry fled, so the battle remains paradoxical in that while Maurice was famed by his infantry reforms in the battle his infantry was puhed back from an excellent defensive position and it was his cavalry that saved the day.

Arilou said:
It is important to note that many of those 200,000 where in fact not part of the forces of the "Swedish Army" (IE: those directly under the swedish Crown) but were actually troops lent by various principalities, like Saxony and Brandenburg.

The number of 150,000 was very much a coalition-force. Calling it a "Swedish Army" even in the sense of obeying under the crown of Sweden (and thus not drawing any conclusion about the nationality of the soldiers involved) is kind of hazardous.
I agree. Calling it 'hazardous' may be anachronistic in the opposite direction. Was there something I stated that intimated the contrary?
Here I think you are making anachronistic assumptions: Ol' Gurra was as much a german as any prince of the Empire: His first language was german, his mother was german, and he had spent much time in Germany. A large portion of his ruling-class were germans are baltic germans.

Nor do I think he ever had the plan of "Sweden controlling Germany", rather, of him putting himself as Emperor (of some sort) of a combined german-swedish "commonwealth" or alliance...
I don't feel I am taking things out of their time, which would be the attribute of someone foolish. I know Gustavus was brought up with much German influence, but he was far more a Swede than a German, and his involvement in the tragedy there was neither obvious nor even inevitable. But he was both a Realpolitiker and a single-minded Protestant hero. He was also both concerned to obtain the maximum advantage for Sweden and deal with the threats to his fellow Protestants in Germany. The outbreak of the 30 Years War challenged him with the task of making decisions which should balance the interests of Protestantism against Swedish interests. By 1628, he had realized Germany was the priority. There was a third element to the problem, that with Denmark, too. I didn't mena to imply he was trying to 'conquer' Germany, only that trying to gain the monopoly of power (indeed, a combined one with Protestant Germans) there seemed to large an object
...While northern german would never bow to the King of Sweden they might be induced to do so to the house of Wasa...
That's hardly disjoined. The House of W(V)asa was the Royal House of Sweden and Poland. Thus, Gustavus was an integral part of it.

Thanks, Spartan JKM :)