Guilli's Technologies needs a balance fix, please help me with some advise.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mik1984

Major
38 Badges
Aug 4, 2005
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
This mod adds 127 new techs for now, however it does not change the number of research options nor the number of techs necessary to move to the next tier.

This causes severe problems, as 3 research alternatives make it exceedingly difficult to hit the needed techs, and the relatively rapid tier advancement, means you are rushing to the next tier before researching a large number of techs in the previous tier, unlocking even more options into the shuffle. Imagine never getting a chance to research a tech for developing a strategic resource throughout most of the game, it is a serious risk now.

I want to change the basic number of research options from 3 to 4 as well as the number of techs required to unlock a next tier into the shuffle from 6 to 8.

Can you tell me which file to edit?

Is there a way to update an entry in a file without updating everything else for mod compatibility?

UPDATE, I figured out how to change the number of techs required to progress to a new tier, hopefully there is an entire file dedicated to just that. I still don't know how to add that change from 3 to 4 starting research alternatives into the game.

Last edited:
I have figured out I need to use:

num_tech_alternatives_add = 1

but for some reason it does not work. Any ideas why?
Not sure where you're putting that modifier, but you'd need to put it somewhere where it would affect all empires (eg you could add an event that adds a modifier at game start with that in there to every empire), but there's a simpler solution: Change the define "NUM_TECH_ALTERNATIVES" from 3 to 4.

Replacing the "defines" file? I am afraid this will cripple compatibility with different mods.

Is there a way I can change only the NUM_TECH_ALTERNATIVES value WITHOUT replacing the entire file? I just want to change a single value.

PS, this must be a modifier for all empires in the game, not just the player empire.

Replacing the "defines" file? I am afraid this will cripple compatibility with different mods.

Is there a way I can change only the NUM_TECH_ALTERNATIVES value WITHOUT replacing the entire file? I just want to change a single value.
Yes. Make an empty text file in your mod's common/defines/ folder, and put this inside it:
Code:
NGameplay = {
            NUM_TECH_ALTERNATIVES                    = 4 #Was 3
}

You can overwrite individual defines quite easily; you just need to include the block that they're located in as well.

I'd recommend the modding wiki as a useful resource for the future; it will generally tell you what can overwritten and how.

Thank you, I have followed the instructions in modding wiki, even copied and renamed the 00_defines file and cleared content as advised before entering the command above, but for some reason it still fails to work.

I don't know what is causing it.